Overseas Income For Marriage Extension?

I work remotely online for a Chinese company.

I was previously paid to a joint Thai bank account, but changed that this month and will now be paid to my own Thai bank account.

My multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa expired in May this year (along with the permission to stay stamp).

I have a Thai wife and we have a biological Thai child together.

It might be time to go for an annual extension instead of the multiple entry visa.

How many months do you need to show the income (well above 40,000 baht) going in to my Thai bank account?

Is there any issue with it coming from China, and not my home country? What do I need to show them from my bank? Will it just say 'Overseas transfer', or will it list the country? Is that even an issue?

TIA.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Experts such as UJ will know more, but for sure it doesn't matter which country the money comes from. For the first extension 2 months is necessary, but some IOs might ask for 3.

Thanks.

Good to know that the origin of the funds doesn't matter, only that they are international transfers. 

The second month will be August, so hopefully the amnesty will be extended and a 12 month extension can be given on the Non O visa that expired in May (the final permission of stay wasn't extended) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

and some only accept "a state pension"

That would be strange. I'm a few decades short of pensionable age. 

Does going through an agent usually make things (IO requests) easier? 

We can meet all the requirements, but the only thing may be the source of foreign transfers comes from working remotely for a Chinese company. 

25 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

We can meet all the requirements, but the only thing may be the source of foreign transfers comes from working remotely for a Chinese company. 

.. and you're not supposed to be working without a work permit.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Income from another country than your home country should not be problem. But if the want proof of the source of your income that could be a problem.

What would they consider proof of your income?

15 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

We've already been to the labor department (remote work for a non-Thai company was non-applicable and 'not under Thai labor law', they said a work permit was neither possible nor needed for online remote work for a non-Thai company), and Thai income tax is paid on the income. We were registered at the tax office and given the personal tax number to officially pay income tax annually.???? 

But it's all a bit off topic. ????  

Actually quite interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I also have/had that 'problem', when it was used to block my proven foreign-income.

It basically makes all requirements go away entirely - financials, home-visits, landlord-docs, etc. 

It's not 100% - example, you can't get a retirement-extension if under 50 via agent.  Probably a few other hard-lines that would be too obvious.

It cannot hurt to try with what you have.  The blockers are very office-specific.  I don't know if they have a quota of "agent apps" or some baht-value in bribes to meet, or it is just that different officies draw different lines of what cases go into the "agent-money only" stack.  Different offices seem to be allowed to "improvise" based on their captive-audience base.

19 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

We were registered at the tax office and given the personal tax number to officially pay income tax annually.????

But it's all a bit off topic. ????  

Maybe not, actually.  You might be able to use your tax-receipts as part of income-proof backup.  Again, though, it depends what your office wants, and what the district-signoff person wants.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It basically makes all requirements go away entirely - financials, home-visits, landlord-docs, etc. 

Thanks. It will probably be worth going through an agent then, if the overseas income coming from remote employment outside of my home nation might be an issue.

Does anyone know of a decent trusted agent for Chiang Mai immigration office that usually gets the job done? 

TIA. 

16 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. It will probably be worth going through an agent then, if the overseas income coming from remote employment outside of my home nation might be an issue.

Does anyone know of a decent trusted agent for Chiang Mai immigration office that usually gets the job done? 

TIA. 

Or apply as suggested earlier using the 'money-in-bank' method.  When doing so, that possible request for evidence of SOURCE of monthly income, is not applicable.

Can a 60 Day extension based on family (wife and child), then be extended by 12 months once the finances have 'seasoned' for the required number of months?

Or is it a case of the 60 Day extension being unable to be extended with the 12 month extension, and one needs to leave Thailand and get another Non O visa, when then can be extended for 12 months?

TIA. 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:33 PM, Peter Denis said:

However, if you did not yet use up the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife/dependant child (one such application allowed per entry), you could apply for that 60-day extension in the final days of the Amnesty (31 July), which would be granted from the day of application and provide you with a permission to stay till end of September.

I may have screwed up. When I last researched how many times you are allowed to extend a non-imm-o multiple entry visa in country, I found a thread that advised it was 'multiple times'.

The quote above states "one such application allowed per entry" - so now I am worried as I have extended in country once already. Although my visa (based on Marriage) doesn't expire until September, I am now on amnesty and was planning to extend before the 31st.

Can anyone clarify if I will be allowed to get a 60 day extension before the 31st July?

4 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

I may have screwed up. When I last researched how many times you are allowed to extend a non-imm-o multiple entry visa in country, I found a thread that advised it was 'multiple times'.

The quote above states "one such application allowed per entry" - so now I am worried as I have extended in country once already. Although my visa (based on Marriage) doesn't expire until September, I am now on amnesty and was planning to extend before the 31st.

Can anyone clarify if I will be allowed to get a 60 day extension before the 31st July?

Unfortunately that information on the thread you refer is not correct.

You can only apply ONCE per entry for the 60-day extension of stay for family reasons.

So if you used up that 60-day extension already, your only option left is applying for a 1-year extension of stay. 

But it will depend on your IO whether they will accept such an application as some (like RoiEt and Nonthaburi) have stated that they will not do so when you are on the Amnesty-extension.

So, you need to enquire at your local IO whether or not they will except such application.

And please note that the 1-year extension of stay application requires at least 2 months of seasoning of your financials on a personal thai bank-account, at the moment of application.

It was always the case that a 60 Day Extension for Family could only be done once on one Permission of stay stamp, so after the 60 days are up, you needed to leave and reenter before getting another 60 Day Extension.

I presumed that it was the same for getting a 12 month extension after a 60 Day Extension.

But I'm wrong? you can get a 12 month extension based on family while on a 60 day extension based on family once you meet the requirements? 

28 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

But I'm wrong? you can get a 12 month extension based on family while on a 60 day extension based on family once you meet the requirements? 

You were wrong.

You can apply for a one year extension near the end of a 60 day extension.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Unfortunately that information on the thread you refer is not correct.

So, you need to enquire at your local IO whether or not they will except such application.

And please note that the 1-year extension of stay application requires at least 2 months of seasoning of your financials on a personal thai bank-account, at the moment of application.

Thanks Peter. My flawed master plan was to extend for 60 days towards the end of this month and then apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage using the 400K in bank method. In preparation for this, I did put 400K in the bank a couple of months back but it dipped below a bit this month - so the 'lump sum method' is no longer 'seasoned'.

In another thread, you mentioned the 'Combination method' where you can have part in the bank and part by monthly transfers. IF they will accept my application while on amnesty, I'm wondering if they will accept a seasoned 200K, plus 40K+ monthly transfers going back years - WITHOUT hassling me for proof of exactly where the 40K transfers came from?

I guess I may as well go find out from my local Chaing Mai IO sooner rather than later as my situation will not change (unable to apply while on amnesty) even if the amnesty is extended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension near the end of a 60 day extension.

Great, thanks.

Is there a time frame for applying for the annual extension while on a 60 Day extension?

For example, do you need to apply and submit the required documents more than 15 days before the 60 days expires?

TIA. 

58 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

I guess I may as well go find out from my local Chaing Mai IO sooner rather than later as my situation will not change (unable to apply while on amnesty) even if the amnesty is extended.

Let us know how you get on, I'm pretty much in the exact same boat (in CM).

Will need to do 60 days before amnesty ends, then season the money and apply for the 12 months within the 60 day period. (This is the first month of seasoning the funds) I'm hoping the amnesty will be extended to either make  seasoning a bit longer, or to N/A the need for the 60 day extension if the amnesty is extended by a month or two.

Currently on an Expired multiple entry Non O and permission to stay stamp.

Edited by JeffersLos

41 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

Thanks Peter. My flawed master plan was to extend for 60 days towards the end of this month and then apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage using the 400K in bank method. In preparation for this, I did put 400K in the bank a couple of months back but it dipped below a bit this month - so the 'lump sum method' is no longer 'seasoned'.

In another thread, you mentioned the 'Combination method' where you can have part in the bank and part by monthly transfers. IF they will accept my application while on amnesty, I'm wondering if they will accept a seasoned 200K, plus 40K+ monthly transfers going back years - WITHOUT hassling me for proof of exactly where the 40K transfers came from?

Wow, you having used up already your 60-day extension of stay since you last entered on your ME Non Imm O marriage Visa, is very unfortunate. 

I presume that your permission to stay already expired and that you are presently on the Amnesty extension.

And that could be a problem because not all IOs are willing to accept your application for a 1-year extension of stay if you are on the Amnesty extension.

So it is recommended that you contact your CM IO and enquire WHETHER they will handle your application for the 1-year extension of stay based on your current ME Non Imm O marriage Visa of which the permission to stay already expired.

But that's not the end of the story, because even if they are willing to accept such 1-year extension of stay application, you would need to meet the financial (as well as the marriage) requirements at the moment of application.

And you wrote that you transferred the 400K in the bank already some months ago, but that - double unfortunate - you accidentally dipped under the required 400K in course of this month.

So even if CM would accept your application for the 1-year extension, you won't have sufficient time to meet the 400K seasoning requirement for the months preceding your application (because of that unfortunate dip). 

However, if you did transfer +40K to your personal thai bank-account in month of June (with foreign origins proven), and you do same in month of July you would meet the requirements by satisfying the criteria for the monthly income-transfer method.

If you did transfer less than 40K in month of June, the combination method might be an option but that is really stretching it (and you would have to enquire at your CM office whether they would accept that method, some IOs don't). 

It's even possible that the money-in-bank method was the only method available for you in case CM IO requires an Embassy certified foreign income statement.

In short > You really need to enquire at your local IO about your current Visa situation and the options you have.  If they are willing to accept your 1-year extension of stay application, they might also be lenient about the dip in your 400K funds (but that's really fingers crossed).

33 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Is there a time frame for applying for the annual extension while on a 60 Day extension?

You can apply for the 1-year extension of stay till the very last day of the permission to stay provided by the 60-day extension.

But of course it is not recommended to wait till very last day in case there are some missing or incomplete documents in your application for the 1-year extension, so 3 tot 5 days beforehand will give you ample time to complete your application when required.

• Like 2

If CM IO say no, walk across the road to the agency in the big Spa building, show them your documents etc, they can go to their go-to IO and could perhaps do it, I think the fee is 7,000 baht, pay after there's confirmation from the IO to them that they can. 

Cheaper than a visa run plus new visa etc. 

• Like 1