Visa-exempt-entry, then amnesty - Can I get normal 30 day extension?

Hi guys,

all the time I thought they just need to extend the visa amnesty like many many other countries.

But it seems like Thailand shows it just does not care, again.

So I have a question, especially to the ubonjoe visa profi from this forum:

I arrived mid of March in Thailand and then got visa amnesty until end of July.

Can I just casually get the 30-day-extension, as I did not used it until now?

Otherwise I would be in big trouble.

I also thought I was entitled to a extention when the Amnesty ends (arrived in late March), but sent immigration a message just to confirm a few days ago.

I hope she misunderstood my question, though I dont think so as she normally is very helpful and informative

Screenshot_20200711-200612_LINE.jpg

• Sad 1

@MrMilk

Your friend is wrong. There will be different groups applying for extensions that have not previously used one.

60 day to visit wife/family just one.

Also folk such as the OP (due to timing/luck) did not need to use his extension. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

@MrMilk

Your friend is wrong. There will be different groups applying for extensions that have not previously used one.

60 day to visit wife/family just one.

Also folk such as the OP (due to timing/luck) did not need to use his extension. 

It's not my friend, it's a immigration officer at Laem Ngop office

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You know her?

Your point??.

Immigration officer is a title. Means little.

They are OK with VERY standard procedures. 

These times with covid and amnesty etc most don't have a clue.

Can you offer constructive comment rather that throw peanuts. Address the OP question. 

Guess not possible.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KohKood said:

I arrived mid of March in Thailand and then got visa amnesty until end of July.

Can I just casually get the 30-day-extension, as I did not used it until now?

When does your Visa expire ?

Tourist visas are usually valid for three months .

(P.S. I dont mean the leave by date stamped in your passport, I mean the actually validly of the Visa)

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
8 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You know her?

Your point??.

Immigration officer is a title. Means little.

They are OK with VERY standard procedures. 

These times with covid and amnesty etc most don't have a clue.

Can you offer constructive comment rather that throw peanuts. Address the OP question. 

Guess not possible.

My point?  Fairly obvious, really.  You said she was a clerk, not an IO, I was wondering how you knew that?

You are not in a position to give instructions on how members post here or what they say.  I was addressing a remark that you made that directly contradicted what the OP claimed, with evidence, had been told to him by an IO.  You're the one refuting his claim so how about you offering something more constructive than "she's a clerk and she's wrong"?  

• Confused 1

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

When does your Visa expire ?

Tourist visas are usually valid for three months .

(P.S. I dont mean the leave by date stamped in your passport, I mean the actually validly of the Visa)

The expire date of visa is irrelevant. A visa allows you to enter Thailand. After that you have a permission of stay. 

In the OP case his POS expired and then was covered by amnesty.

Whenever amnesty does end then prior to that the OP can apply for 30 day extension.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob A Kneale said:

OP claimed, with evidence, had been told to him by an IO

Zero evidence. 

Cut you some slack. Clearly not here very long.

Lesson #1 never ask for reliable advice from io when situation is fluid.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. You state that you did not need to use your 30 day extension. Many had to used it and also the "emergency" one that was granted with embassy letter.

You have ace up your sleeve that gives you another 30 days for 1900 baht. 

Don't go too early as amnesty might be extended. I would wait till perhaps 3 or 4 days prior to July 31. 

An expert will be along to advise you.

Ubonjoe for eg will give you the 100% correct advice. Your A OK. 

Same situation than OP.

I think DrJack gave you the best advice. Ubon was thinking extension 30 days should be ok too. But nobody knows with this growing xenophobia...

Aces... I do not like Aces. You think it's the nuts, but you have surprises ????

Jacks are my favorites. 

You guys know all this stuff comes from France, again, yes ? ????

Just now, Bob A Kneale said:

Zero evidence?  The screenshot of his conversation with the IO seems to be empirical and it's sure more than you provided for your assertions.

No need to be patronising nor do you need to "cut me any slack"!   It's completely irrelevant but I've been here a long time, so give me what you've got...not much, I'd guess, based on what you've said so far.

Fact is I addressed OP question. 

All you have done is run critical commentary. 

The OP can apply for 30 day extension prior to end of amnesty whenever that occurs

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KohKood said:

Ubonjoe, please rescue me/us ????

Hear you man. Think my first post mentioned Ubonjoe step in at some point. The guy works so hard. Wait for his advice. Pretty sure I know what it will be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP can apply for 30 day extension prior to end of amnesty whenever that occurs

Apparently not, according to the Immigration office concerned. 

Your dogmatically repeating the same thing over and over that has been refuted by MrMilk's IB doesn't make it accurate, particularly with the current circumstances prevailing.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Apparently not, according to the Immigration office concerned. 

According to online conversation at one office, with one immigration officer.

There are ~ 78 imm offices in Thailand.

Word of advice. Never listen to what ONE io states. 

30 minutes ago, KohKood said:

Ubonjoe, please rescue me/us

Yeah, seriously. This thread has existed for almost 3 hours, and no sign of Ubon Joe. 

It's sometimes difficult to think of him as a human being with a life to live and things to do. 

He seems more like a supernatural force that arrives immediately with comforting and authoritative information. 

Where are you, Ubie?   Boobie?  I need to see your buffalo horns on my screen!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Yeah, seriously. This thread has existed for almost 3 hours, and no sign of Ubon Joe. 

It's sometimes difficult to think of him as a human being with a life to live and things to do. 

He seems more like a supernatural force that arrives immediately with comforting and authoritative information. 

Where are you, Ubie?   Boobie?  I need to see your buffalo horns on my screen!

What's wrong with people like you?

I just saw contradicting comments on here, so I asked the expert to help.

Where did I mentioned that he should come here now, huh?!

Some people must have a really sad life to always see bad things where nothing bad happened. You should better open your eyes to real problems instead of creating internet-forum beef hahaha

2 minutes ago, KohKood said:

I just saw contradicting comments on here, so I asked the expert to help.

I understand your frustration. I advised throughout thread that you will be able to apply for your 30 day extension. When sensible folk come along that advice will be confirmed. Just chill buddy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KohKood said:

But I could also see the Thai Authorities arguing "30-day-extension-possibilty invalid because you had amnesty"

I will dip out of this thread now as you seem very well aware of your options. 

Trust me you can obtain 30day extension to your ve that you described in op

Most comments on this thread just nonsense. Good luck .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I will dip out of this thread now as you seem very well aware of your options. 

Trust me you can obtain 30day extension to your ve that you described in op

Most comments on this thread just nonsense. Good luck .

Sure, but my future options rely on the possibility to get that extension now. I need 30-day-extension to have enough time for the agent thing, as the processing time is 3-4 weeks and for that it's too late already with the current end of amnesty.

Have a good day and thanks for dipping in before hahahah

• Like 1

Despite the self-assured replies here, the answer is not so clear. I asked this exact same question about a week ago, if you browsed recent topics at all you should have already seen it.

Bottom line was "some locations" may provide the extension.  Ubonjoe indicated the extension should be granted at Chaengwattana to facilitate a non-O application, but again if you are looking for certainty in your specific case, there is none until we have at least one specific report of someone successfully getting the extension (I asked for this, but zero firsthand confirmations)

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, eppic said:

Despite the self-assure replies here, the answer is not so clear. I asked this exact same question about a week ago, if you browsed recent topics at all you should have already seen it.

Bottom line was "some locations" may provide the extension.  Ubonjoe indicated the extension should be granted to facilitate a non-O application, but again if you are looking for certainty in your specific case, there is none until we have at least one specific report of someone successfully getting the extension (I asked for this, but zero firsthand confirmations)

Thanks, I will just try to go the local (Isaan) IO in around one week. If they refuse, I will anyway go to the South after that and will try there again. Will update here.

• Like 1