can i apply for retirement visa under my current status which is amnesty visa?

You  should be able to.  Some visa agent will ask you to give them 2 weeks to 20 data before your visa expire which is July 31 if the amnesty is not extended.  Cost for retirement or non immigration O is from 22,000 to 30,000.  It may depend on your specific situation to some extend

some agent just need a couple of days before the visa expiration date.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Interested in this too.. Hearing both sides from different places. Some say you can go ask for an extension of stay, others saying that once the permission expired, then you are no longer able to do it on the overstay amnesty. 

OK..I just got back from Immigration Office in Kalasin.. the good news is... YES.. anyone on visa extension (Amnesty) to the end of July can apply for change to Non O visa without leaving Thailand ???? ..  After July 31st you would have to leave the country..  90 day extension given.. time enough to season the 400K if you act quickly.. Good luck...

• Thanks 2

On 7/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, JohnBZ said:

You  should be able to.  Some visa agent will ask you to give them 2 weeks to 20 data before your visa expire which is July 31 if the amnesty is not extended.  Cost for retirement or non immigration O is from 22,000 to 30,000.  It may depend on your specific situation to some extend

Good luck.

Why use an agent? Please tell! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

OK..I just got back from Immigration Office in Kalasin.. the good news is... YES.. anyone on visa extension (Amnesty) to the end of July can apply for change to Non O visa without leaving Thailand ???? ..  After July 31st you would have to leave the country..  90 day extension given.. time enough to season the 400K if you act quickly.. Good luck...

Thanks for confirming that at the Kalasin IO, an application for a 90-day Non O Visa will be accepted, even if your current permission to stay expired and you are now already on the Amnesty-extension.

Two questions:

- I presume the above is also applicable when applying for a 1-year extension - can you confirm that?

- When applying for that new Non Imm O or for the 1-year extension, would Kalasin IO do this from date of application, or would they 'back-date' it from the date your permission to stay expired?

• Thanks 1

Firstly, there's no such thing as a "retirement visa".  What you need is an extension on a non-tourist visa based on retirement.

You need to be over 50 and have 800,000 in a Thai bank, or a proven 65,000 a month remitted to Thailand, for 2 months before applying for that extension.

Apply for a Non-O visa.

When you get it, apply for a 3 month extension.

During that 3 months, as soon as you have had your money in the bank for 3 months, apply for your retirement extension.

Agents do make things easier, but aren't necessary.  It depends if you want to spend money with an agent, or time to do it yourself.  One advantage though is that immigration staff won't find niggly reasons to deny your application if it comes via an agent.  Up to youuuu.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, JohnBZ said:

Good luck.

The cost of a retirement extension is 1,900 Baht.

You don't need an agent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

During that 3 months, as soon as you have had your money in the bank for 3 months, apply for your retirement extension.

There are couple offices that require 3 months the rest require 2 months prior to application.

37 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Firstly, there's no such thing as a "retirement visa".  What you need is an extension on a non-tourist visa based on retirement.

You need to be over 50 and have 800,000 in a Thai bank, or a proven 65,000 a month remitted to Thailand, for 2 months before applying for that extension.

Apply for a Non-O visa.

When you get it, apply for a 3 month extension.

Agents do make things easier, but aren't necessary.  It depends if you want to spend money with an agent, or time to do it yourself.  One advantage though is that immigration staff won't find niggly reasons to deny your application if it comes via an agent.  Up to youuuu.

Once you have the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, in the last month of those 90 days you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay.

The bank-balance check after being 3 months in the 1-year extension of stay is only required at some rogue offices like Jomtien, SriRacha, UdonThani, PathumThani and maybe a couple more.  At the majority of thai IOs such a bank-balance check is not required.

42 minutes ago, Malawi said:

The cost of a retirement extension is 1,900 Baht.

You don't need an agent.

Yes, correct.

EVERY application for an extension of stay costs 1.900 THB.

Be it for 30-days, 60-days or 1-year, and irrespective of the reason for that extension.

this is a quick question, didn't want to make another post about it, can one use any immigration they want to appy for a 1 years extension on married, i live in bangkok but currently staying in phuket relative vacation home, not planning to come back to bangkok anytime soon, can i use phuket immigration to do you 1 years extension

On 7/12/2020 at 2:36 PM, cobyco said:

hi i used tourist visa

You must apply for a non-O visa for 3 months first based on retirement, and then extend by one year after that if you meet the financial requirement.

1 hour ago, clorox said:

this is a quick question, didn't want to make another post about it, can one use any immigration they want to appy for a 1 years extension on married, i live in bangkok but currently staying in phuket relative vacation home, not planning to come back to bangkok anytime soon, can i use phuket immigration to do you 1 years extension

You can do it it if you have proof of residence in Phuket. That would be a rental agreement or statement that you are staying with signed copy their house book registry and ID card if Thai. Passport and proof of ownership if not Thai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for confirming that at the Kalasin IO, an application for a 90-day Non O Visa will be accepted, even if your current permission to stay expired and you are now already on the Amnesty-extension.

Two questions:

- I presume the above is also applicable when applying for a 1-year extension - can you confirm that?

- When applying for that new Non Imm O or for the 1-year extension, would Kalasin IO do this from date of application, or would they 'back-date' it from the date your permission to stay expired?

I'm a little bit hazy but think the way it works is that you get a 90 day extension during which time you apply for the 1 year.  I could be wrong but I think the new visa applies from the day approved..  My advice is go immediately.. there were a few ferangs doing the same as me today but I could see that they were very busy processing what I think must have been Lao visas.. from workers I presume..  I'm thinking it is going to be hectic as we approach the end of the month.. good luck.. 

18 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm a little bit hazy but think the way it works is that you get a 90 day extension during which time you apply for the 1 year.  I could be wrong but I think the new visa applies from the day approved..

You will get a 90 day permit to stay from the non immigrant visa you applied for. Then during the last 30 days of it you can apply for a one year extension.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a 90 day permit to stay from the non immigrant visa you applied for. Then during the last 30 days of it you can apply for a one year extension.

Thank you for the clarity.  I always appreciate your comment and reliable information.  You are a legend Joe!  

• Like 1

Any advice for my friend who arrived here on a 30 day visa exempt ,now expired so on the amnesty ,has funds in the bank (just 1 month 600 k) is intending to marry his partner of 6 years this week, what are his options for staying in Thailand visa wise? Sorry I should mention he applied for a 30 day extension before the amnesty started .

Edited by wozza
typo

3 minutes ago, wozza said:

Any advice for my friend who arrived here on a 30 day visa exempt ,now expired so on the amnesty ,has funds in the bank (just 1 month 600 k) is intending to marry his partner of 6 years this week, what are his options for staying in Thailand visa wise? 

Couple of questions to clarify his situation.

- Did he already apply for a 30-day extension of stay since he arrived Visa Exempt?

- Is his partner which he will marry this week a thai national?

- Does he have thai dependant children?

- What is his age and nationality?

- What is the place where he is staying and where he wants to settle down?

- Does he have monthly foreign income (e.g. pension, rental income, etc.)

Did he already apply for a 30-day extension of stay since he arrived Visa Exempt?

Yes he did 

- Is his partner which he will marry this week a thai national?

Yes she is 

- Does he have thai dependant children?

No (partners child previous relationship)

- What is his age and nationality?

50 + USA

- What is the place where he is staying and where he wants to settle down?

Issan 

- Does he have monthly foreign income (e.g. pension, rental income, etc.)

Business income from USA 

1 hour ago, wozza said:

Any advice for my friend who arrived here on a 30 day visa exempt ,now expired so on the amnesty ,has funds in the bank (just 1 month 600 k) is intending to marry his partner of 6 years this week, what are his options for staying in Thailand visa wise? Sorry I should mention he applied for a 30 day extension before the amnesty started .

With his 30-day extension of stay already used, and his permission to stay already expired, he only has two options left, of which the 1st one is very unlikely (but mention it for reason of completeness).

a) Applying for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, but it is very unlikely that his local IO would accept such an application, as it would need to be done with at least 15 days left on his permission to stay.  And that permission to stay is not based on his Visa Exempt entry anymore, but on the Amnesty extension which expires 31 July, so likely to be refused.

> But might still be worthwhile to enquire at his local IO if they would be inclined to accept such application, but in case they would be willing to do so he has only 2 days left to apply for it (if the Amnesty is not extended).

b) Once he is married to his thai wife (next week), he could apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting his wife.  He would need to apply before the end of the Amnesty (31 July) but he would need his recent marriage certificate to apply for this 60-day extension, so it depends how quick after his marriage that certificate would be available.

@ubonjoe might know how long that would take, but it looks that that is his best option, because he could then apply in the 15 days before the end of the 60-days apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, and in the last month of those 90 days apply for the 1-year extension of stay.

Edited by Peter Denis

16 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

He would need to apply before the end of the Amnesty (31 July) but he would need his recent marriage certificate to apply for this 60-day extension, so it depends how quick after his marriage that certificate would be available.

The (2 of) marriage certificates (Kor Ror 3) and the marriage registration (Kor Ror 2) are issued on the spot on the day of marriage registration.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The (2 of) marriage certificates (Kor Ror 3) and the marriage registration (Kor Ror 2) are issued on the spot on the day of marriage registration.

@wozza

Thanks Tanoshi!

So when married even in the final days of the Amnesty, he would be able to go next day (ultimately 31 July) to his local IO and apply for the 60-days extension of stay, as precursor for his application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage and subsequent 1-year extension based on that Visa.

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@wozza

Thanks Tanoshi!

So when married even in the final days of the Amnesty, he would be able to go next day (ultimately 31 July) to his local IO and apply for the 60-days extension of stay, as precursor for his application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage and subsequent 1-year extension based on that Visa.

Yes, but I'd try and go as early as possible after registering their marriage amidst the speculation and uncertainty, unless there is a further announcement regarding the amnesty situation beforehand.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2