BANGKOK
rooster59

Koh Samui: For sale and gathering dust - island that catered to foreigners is completely deserted

Anyone remember what year the old Reggae Pub burned down and also when was the wobbly wooden bridge across the swampy lagoon torn down?

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Anyone remember what year the old Reggae Pub burned down and also when was the wobbly wooden bridge across the swampy lagoon torn down?

Around 1995 – after 1994 and before 1987 – to my knowledge caused by a Swedish, who guy firing a rocket inside the pub, some have mentioned New Years Eve, but I'm not sure...

Image dated 1984, the old wooden pub is still in the back...

1967670898_Reggae-Pub-(mustbe94)1984.jpg.b47182564c56b17addbf520f2ad8e037.jpg

Image dated 1987, the old wooden building is tha back has gone...

784163585_Reggae-Pub-(mustbe97)ca1987-wood-bridge.jpg.06a861c3d797ced54cbe7520e72e406b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Around 1995 – after 1994 and before 1987 – to my knowledge caused by a Swedish, who guy firing a rocket inside the pub, some have mentioned New Years Eve, but I'm not sure...

784163585_Reggae-Pub-(mustbe97)ca1987-wood-bridge.jpg.06a861c3d797ced54cbe7520e72e406b.jpg

Are you sure that states 87 on the photo? It might, though it looks more like a 97 to me.

22 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Khunper, where did you get that pic from? Of the bridge date 21.11.97 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From robs bar soi Reggie? 

Because I took that photo in 97  

I gave rob the bar owner a copy of that photo 

Edited by Davo369

51 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Are you sure that states 87 on the photo? It might, though it looks more like a 97 to me.

Very sorry, of course 1994 and 1997, the photos originally had wrong dates in the forum they originates from.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Davo369 said:

Khunper, where did you get that pic from? Of the bridge date 21.11.97 

Yes 1997 of course, my mistake printing 8 isf. 9...:wai:
It has been shared several times in a Facebook groups with old photos from Samui.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It has been shared several times in a Facebook groups with old photos from Samui.

Yes definitely the photo I took 😂

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 11:03 AM, sencelebi said:

You're  right. We need tourist into the island who have money to spend. Greedy and low life tourists don't do any good for the tourism revenue. I think government will look into this after the  pandemic, they too realized that backpackers and greedy tourists don't do any good but just crowd. Thailand needs money spending tourists, I mean money, not 20 dollars a day.

Exactly the attitude that's ruined the island. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

@khunPer - Are you able to share the link to that Facebook group on here?  I would be interested to see some of the old photos.  I first visited Samui in the late 1980s.  I can't remember exactly when but it was before the airport opened.  I took the overnight bus from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then the ferry to Samui.  I stayed on Chaweng which was just a dirt road with few buildings.  I stayed at the Pansea resort (sister hotel to the Pansea resort in Phuket, which became the Chedi and is now the Surin).  It was the only "hotel" on Chaweng at the time and I'm wondering if anyone remembers it or has photos.  It was a low-rise building right on the beach with wooden walkways everywhere and I have very fond memories of it.  The next time I visited Samui, it wasn't there.  If you cannot share the link to the Facebook group on here, please PM me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The airport opened in 1989. The photos are among others from a public Facebook group just named "Koh Samui", and another source is a friend with a public shared album with a huge collection of old time Samui images "SAMUI - The Old Days"...🙂

Thanks very much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IslandLover said:

@khunPer - Are you able to share the link to that Facebook group on here?  I would be interested to see some of the old photos.  I first visited Samui in the late 1980s.  I can't remember exactly when but it was before the airport opened.  I took the overnight bus from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then the ferry to Samui.  I stayed on Chaweng which was just a dirt road with few buildings.  I stayed at the Pansea resort (sister hotel to the Pansea resort in Phuket, which became the Chedi and is now the Surin).  It was the only "hotel" on Chaweng at the time and I'm wondering if anyone remembers it or has photos.  It was a low-rise building right on the beach with wooden walkways everywhere and I have very fond memories of it.  The next time I visited Samui, it wasn't there.  If you cannot share the link to the Facebook group on here, please PM me.

Actually, now I remember it, the Pansea resort was bungalows, not a low-rise building.

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

The statistic about tourists spending is quite interesting here.

In average all tourists spend $159 a day in Thailand.

However, Chinese tourists spend most money with $194.84 a day; whilst European tourists are the lowest with only $125.47 a day, followed by Americans as second lowest with $147.32 a day. Tourists from Asia, Middle East and Africa all spend more money a day than average Western tourists.

Australia was not specified in the stats, but if included in "Oceania" they come in as third lowest with $165.53 a day.

There might be a good financial reason why Chinese and Asia tourists are the most important ones to get back – in total number they count for more than 80 percent of the total tourism; whilst Europens, Americans, and Australians and New Zealanders all together are less than six percent.

We Westerners may speak loud in this forum, but we are not that important anymore for the total tourist economy – but still  some importance specific for Samui and her sisters, as our relative percentage representation in tourists is high...🙂

so i suppose the" statisic" is 100% accurate and includes all lady drinks,bar fines,and fees for a happy ending purchased ? a hell of a lot of money spent by westerners is spent this way and although it go,es into the black economy this also ends up in the local economy,although it dosen,t go " through the books " also add on the monies sent every week from "sponsors" and the true figures are far higher.

• Like 1