Koh Samui: For sale and gathering dust - island that catered to foreigners is completely deserted

rooster59

1 hour ago, Mikeasq60 said:

So sad, but here's my prediction. Thailand will be open for full business by the middle of August! Airports all receiving tourists, residents, and those with families rather than jumping through all the hoops to meet those Thai requirements. Not easy for me to meet the requirements because Im flying from Afghanistan through Dubai. I cant seek the medical certs in Afghanistan because its still dangerous here. Its not open for business. I see Thailand says its banks are fully prepared to absorb any effects of CV, lol. Really, OK

as soon as thailand opens its doors the punters will be returning in great droves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fare for the songtheaw from the ferry port to Chaweng or Lamai used to be 20 baht. Increased significantly even though prices for fuel etc had not gone up much. Just greed. I used to say to myself that one day it was all going to lead to tears. Seems that day has come.

The cash cow is deceased... 

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The media suggested that tourism on Samui was highly reliant on foreign tourists. Despite Phase 5 easing of restrictions it has made little difference to Samui as domestic tourists would find it too hard to get to for a short break. 

Domestic tourists don't find it "too hard to get to for a short break" - it's just ridiculously expensive flying there.  BKK Airways gets a lot of blame for their pricing (yet even at 200-350 USD roundtrip they were filling their planes), and for having so many flights, but they've responded to Hotel Association pressure for more flights to bring in the guests for all those 4/5 star hotels and resorts. The island infrastructure can't cope (waste disposal, potable water, power) but no-one gives a s*** as long as most people are making money. 

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I was last there in 1983, together with the girl who is now my wife. As old timers will know it was a paradise in those days. The 'progress' which has since taken place there is sad beyond belief.

For comparison, how was Pattaya before, for example in 1983 compared with today..?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, samsensam said:

true enough, i was there in the early 90s, stayed in a great bungalow on the beach, cool little beach side restaurants, quiet, clean beach and sea, was like paradise. i returned about five years ago, the place was unrecongisable; awful, over developed, ugly, polluted, i left sharpish. very sad but i guess some people like that sort of place.

It's called mass tourism...many once pristine locals around the world have been trashed in the same way.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

As they are destroying everything else all around the Country in pursuit of Money.

How would you support Thailand's economy then other than through tourism. Its not all tourism but yes mainly dependant on tourism support. Its like tourist season on Cape Cod, MA during the summer time their mainly dependant on tourist money there's no denying that, the local townes admit it. In Thailand they wont admit the country is dependant on tourism!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thaiowl said:

Stopped going after I was charged Bt600 for a 5km taxi ride from the airport to Chaweng. And the whole place was a building site. Another example of uncontrolled tourism spoiling a Thai resort.

The taxi drivers can probably survive for years on all the extra rip off cash, so no problems there. Lol.

• Like 1