Koh Samui: For sale and gathering dust - island that catered to foreigners is completely deserted

rooster59

14 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

How would you support Thailand's economy then other than through tourism. Its not all tourism but yes mainly dependant on tourism support. Its like tourist season on Cape Cod, MA during the summer time their mainly dependant on tourist money there's no denying that, the local townes admit it. In Thailand they wont admit the country is dependant on tourism!

WE support Thailand through our money, usually by being tourists, but Thailand is far from dependent on tourism. What it does do is employ loads of poor people, and if they all lose their income there will be hell to pay.

Given that Thai immigration has gone out of it's way to discourage western tourists this century, and gone for quantity over quality, any problems are down to immigration. The horde are many, but employ few Thais.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sencelebi said:

You're  right. We need tourist into the island who have money to spend. Greedy and low life tourists don't do any good for the tourism revenue. I think government will look into this after the  pandemic, they too realized that backpackers and greedy tourists don't do any good but just crowd. Thailand needs money spending tourists, I mean money, not 20 dollars a day.

You got me 100% wrong. I loathe the flashpackers as beaches were ruined for them. Horrid concrete everywhere. Bagpackers stayed in simple accommodation far more in tune with nature than any rich tourist.

The real destruction, of course, is by the horde, and I'd happily see them banned from anywhere outside their homeland.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, GwynBleidd said:

Vietnam by the way can go screw themselves after their attitude to farangs showed in full during Covid.

Perhaps you overlook that farangs exploited them for centuries ( the French ) and later farangs gave them My Lai and Agent Orange. I'm not surprised they hate all farangs.

How quickly we forget!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GwynBleidd said:

All these people who came here for a week or 2 in 90s, 80s or in 18th century and who have a very strict image in their mind about what Koh Samui should be.

NZ doesn't have masses of concrete buildings right up to the sand. The authorities know that such is the death of nature, which is why people go to the beach in the first place ( except in the world of insanity we now live in where people go to a beach in a far off land, burning vast amounts of fossil fuel to get there, only to sit by an hotel pool and get inebriated ).

The question to ask is, what's the point of going to a beach in Thailand if it's the same as in Spain or somewhere else closer?

Anyone who has the slightest clue about Koh Samui knows that you get a taxi once (if ever), to get to your house for the 1st time; after that you rent/buy bike/car.

Rent a bike 55555555555555555555. Have to leave passport, which fools do, get scammed when return fro a pre existing scratch, or have accident because never rode bike before, and no insurance because don't have m'bike licence- what could go wrong with that?

Anyway, extortionate taxi prices are NOT OK.

One place I've been to that can actually compete with Samui would be Langkawi,

Only problem with that is it's in Malaya, never again for me.

Less nightlife, less crowds but still partying? Lamai.

Problem with that is the beach is <deleted>. That's why I stayed on Chaweng which has a good beach, but I stopped when it trendified and went to Phangan. Beaches not as good but a million times better off the sand.

But no, you people came 40 years ago to Chaweng, found it completely unbuilt and then coming back in 25 years were completely shattered at it being developed, and gave a solemn vow not to ever come back. Jeez. Too bad for you. 

It was a place for anyone that wanted to stay on a beach in 1993. Chaweng had a great variety of places to stay from 5 * to Charlie's hut.

Building a load of concrete all over the place didn't improve it, and it only happened because of GREED. If one thinks greed is good, you'll be happy that Chaweng was ruined so some could get rich, that's your choice, but not mine.

It's not like Samui is still a great place to enjoy the beach, but with AC and hot water. No, it's <deleted><deleted>, and only people that like <deleted><deleted> go there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

How strange it is  to  read through all the comments so  far  that in the majority either or both hark  back to the "good ole days" and/ or  gloat over the  demise  of the economic structure that in reality developed out of  demand  rather than some deliberate infliction  on  tourists!

A market  moves  to meet demand . That there are  failures  to regulate the way that demand is met  is a definite  problem in the longer term in terms of infrastructure  but the fact remains that if  demand  increases  then the principle of  entrepreneurial opportunity will attempt to meet  it !

Bleat  on  then  from the confines  of  your  comfortable  air conditioned  abodes  with   flush  toilets  and  refrigerated  food supplies and all those associated conveniences  while  you  dream  about  squat toilets , bucket showers etc !

Greed? Only made  possible  if  you succumb to the  asking and stay!

the  demise  of the economic structure that in reality developed out of  demand  rather than some deliberate infliction  on  tourists!

Hardly. Flashpacker accommodation was built to be able to charge more to stay, not because there was a shortage of customers. Same reason for the emergence of "boutique hotels". My complaint is not that there is development, but that it is allowed to destroy the environment TOTALLY.

That there are  failures  to regulate the way that demand is met  is a definite  problem in the longer term in terms of infrastructure  but the fact remains that if  demand  increases  then the principle of  entrepreneurial opportunity will attempt to meet  it !

I actually agree that it is a regulatory failing than greed per se. Of course the greedies will destroy everything if allowed, so the failing was allowing them to do so. By confining all new construction to the land side of the road along Chaweng they could have retained the more nature friendly places on the beach while allowing places for rich people to stay and play. Unfortunately, the regulators are <deleted> and allow anything anywhere as long as they get <deleted>.

Greed? Only made  possible  if  you succumb to the  asking and stay!

Problem in LOS is that all the best beaches have been ruined. Even the not so good ones were being ruined as fast as the owners could replace their simple huts with flashpacker accommodation.

There just isn't anywhere left that is worth going for.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:34 PM, tonray said:

Yeah..a few years ago I ended up staying in Surat Thani for a week or so and asking locals about spending a couple of days on Koh Samui, they greatly discouraged it saying first I'll be dealing with the taxi Mafia upon arrival and then the sharks from all other businesses will swoop in. I enjoyed my time in Surat Thani...altough not exciting by any stretch ..better than being ripped off left and right. 

You should have gone to Phangan. Better than Samui.

54 minutes ago, pomozki said:

well I've been to Samui twice, both times to Lamai, and met terrific people there each time. You sound like quite the whinger and I can't believe how you appear to be gloating at their problems there. Many of the local businesses resent how Bangkok Air has the monopoly on flights to the island and is ripping people off. I wouldn't care if that damn airline went bust but it's wrong to blame all the locals for them

Indeed - I's forgotten about that. Total rip-off to get back to the port from Lamai. I did get the taxi driver down to less than 500 if I remember right b ut it left a bad taste. That's what happens when you have no other choice, same everywhere sadly

yeah, my first time I went for health reasons, stayed at Spa Resort right on the sand at Lamai in an A-framed wooden bungalow. At that time, about 5 years ago, it was 1,000 per night - it's now triple that and when I asked why, they said "we renovated a lot" Shame but I found a great place in Lamai for just 700b per night. I still like the vibe of the island

Yeah I'm a real whinger. Are you saying I'm wrong that the beach is ruined and it's too expensive?

At that time, about 5 years ago, it was 1,000 per night - it's now triple that and when I asked why, they said "we renovated a lot"

Which is why Thailand beach tourism is going to be wiped out once Burma opens it's undeveloped beaches. It'll be like LOS 30 years ago.

I used to stay a lot at a resort at a Chang Dao north of Chiang Mai when it was about 500 a night. When they put it up to 800 without any improvement in the room or service I went to a cheaper place down the road. Seems they think we farangs are too stupid to see a scam.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Anyone remember what year the old Reggae Pub burned down and also when was the wobbly wooden bridge across the swampy lagoon torn down?

Around 1995 – after 1994 and before 1987 – to my knowledge caused by a Swedish, who guy firing a rocket inside the pub, some have mentioned New Years Eve, but I'm not sure...

Image dated 1984, the old wooden pub is still in the back...

1967670898_Reggae-Pub-(mustbe94)1984.jpg.b47182564c56b17addbf520f2ad8e037.jpg

Image dated 1987, the old wooden building is tha back has gone...

784163585_Reggae-Pub-(mustbe97)ca1987-wood-bridge.jpg.06a861c3d797ced54cbe7520e72e406b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Around 1995 – after 1994 and before 1987 – to my knowledge caused by a Swedish, who guy firing a rocket inside the pub, some have mentioned New Years Eve, but I'm not sure...

784163585_Reggae-Pub-(mustbe97)ca1987-wood-bridge.jpg.06a861c3d797ced54cbe7520e72e406b.jpg

Are you sure that states 87 on the photo? It might, though it looks more like a 97 to me.

22 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Khunper, where did you get that pic from? Of the bridge date 21.11.97 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Are you sure that states 87 on the photo? It might, though it looks more like a 97 to me.

Very sorry, of course 1994 and 1997, the photos originally had wrong dates in the forum they originates from.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davo369 said:

Khunper, where did you get that pic from? Of the bridge date 21.11.97 

Yes 1997 of course, my mistake printing 8 isf. 9...:wai:
It has been shared several times in a Facebook groups with old photos from Samui.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It has been shared several times in a Facebook groups with old photos from Samui.

Yes definitely the photo I took ????

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 11:03 AM, sencelebi said:

You're  right. We need tourist into the island who have money to spend. Greedy and low life tourists don't do any good for the tourism revenue. I think government will look into this after the  pandemic, they too realized that backpackers and greedy tourists don't do any good but just crowd. Thailand needs money spending tourists, I mean money, not 20 dollars a day.

Exactly the attitude that's ruined the island. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

@khunPer - Are you able to share the link to that Facebook group on here?  I would be interested to see some of the old photos.  I first visited Samui in the late 1980s.  I can't remember exactly when but it was before the airport opened.  I took the overnight bus from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then the ferry to Samui.  I stayed on Chaweng which was just a dirt road with few buildings.  I stayed at the Pansea resort (sister hotel to the Pansea resort in Phuket, which became the Chedi and is now the Surin).  It was the only "hotel" on Chaweng at the time and I'm wondering if anyone remembers it or has photos.  It was a low-rise building right on the beach with wooden walkways everywhere and I have very fond memories of it.  The next time I visited Samui, it wasn't there.  If you cannot share the link to the Facebook group on here, please PM me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IslandLover said:

@khunPer - Are you able to share the link to that Facebook group on here?  I would be interested to see some of the old photos.  I first visited Samui in the late 1980s.  I can't remember exactly when but it was before the airport opened.  I took the overnight bus from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then the ferry to Samui.  I stayed on Chaweng which was just a dirt road with few buildings.  I stayed at the Pansea resort (sister hotel to the Pansea resort in Phuket, which became the Chedi and is now the Surin).  It was the only "hotel" on Chaweng at the time and I'm wondering if anyone remembers it or has photos.  It was a low-rise building right on the beach with wooden walkways everywhere and I have very fond memories of it.  The next time I visited Samui, it wasn't there.  If you cannot share the link to the Facebook group on here, please PM me.

Actually, now I remember it, the Pansea resort was bungalows, not a low-rise building.

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

The statistic about tourists spending is quite interesting here.

In average all tourists spend $159 a day in Thailand.

However, Chinese tourists spend most money with $194.84 a day; whilst European tourists are the lowest with only $125.47 a day, followed by Americans as second lowest with $147.32 a day. Tourists from Asia, Middle East and Africa all spend more money a day than average Western tourists.

Australia was not specified in the stats, but if included in "Oceania" they come in as third lowest with $165.53 a day.

There might be a good financial reason why Chinese and Asia tourists are the most important ones to get back – in total number they count for more than 80 percent of the total tourism; whilst Europens, Americans, and Australians and New Zealanders all together are less than six percent.

We Westerners may speak loud in this forum, but we are not that important anymore for the total tourist economy – but still  some importance specific for Samui and her sisters, as our relative percentage representation in tourists is high...????

so i suppose the" statisic" is 100% accurate and includes all lady drinks,bar fines,and fees for a happy ending purchased ? a hell of a lot of money spent by westerners is spent this way and although it go,es into the black economy this also ends up in the local economy,although it dosen,t go " through the books " also add on the monies sent every week from "sponsors" and the true figures are far higher.

• Like 1