Koh Samui: For sale and gathering dust - island that catered to foreigners is completely deserted

rooster59

20 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

What's a "brass"? ????

A geyser , with a couple of Bob / shillings .

Hope this info helps ...

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, torturedsole said:

In common parlance a punter is a customer whether shady or legitimate.

A lady / gentleman of the night.  

brass only pertains to a female prostitute,a more apt description of a man who performs sexual acts for money would be gigolo if the man was with a woman,or rent boy if he indulges in homosexual sex.

42 minutes ago, kingdong said:

think your figures regarding " happy somethings" are a bit suspect well over 60% of my holiday budget go,es on a bit of naughty,i waste the rest.

Yes, perhaps that stat don't include all, and need an update...????

Happy something matters...????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rumak said:

I had to push my motorcycle into the woods a bit to circumvent a flooded area on the dirt road 

to Mae Hong Song.    All part of the great adventure.   

Hell, I would do it all again.   Might just have to ask some young newbie here to help me with the

pushing the bike part though ☺️☺️☺️

Chaweng is the only place I've ever been thrown in to a pub! ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I had to push my motorcycle into the woods a bit to circumvent a flooded area on the dirt road 

to Mae Hong Song.    All part of the great adventure.   

Hell, I would do it all again.   Might just have to ask some young newbie here to help me with the

pushing the bike part though ☺️☺️☺️

has hollywood been in touch with you regarding a blockbuster based on your"great adventure"?

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

king dong .     i guess that just about says it all .   

if you don't like my posts...... ignore would be a more civil approach

i do like your posts they bring such joy to my boring and uninteresting life.

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

I'm sometime wondering if those complaining about Bangkok Airways' prices are the same as those that don't want to come back to spoiled Samui...????

I've never complained about those prices as I'd never use them anyway. Train and ferry much nicer way to travel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

I have a feeling some people will be in for an eye-opener when they revisit what "LOS was like 30 years ago." 

We tend to remember the good things such as the simplicity of the island and its beaches, and tend to forget the lack of amenities, convenience, and infrastructure of the time.

What lack of amenities, convenience, and infrastructure would that be? In 1993 there was all of that. Difference was that one could do without if one chose to. Everyplace I stayed had a comfortable bed and an ensuite. Don't need AC, tv, hot water shower or any of the <deleted> we surround ourselves with now.

12 hours ago, khunPer said:

But not many lady-drinks are sold on the islands, simply because there are not enough places selling lady-drinks, whilst concerning happy-something I have no idea of any possible quantity...

Can't speak for this century as went to Phanang instead, but last century if one wanted a Pattaya style bar scene one stayed on Lamai or there was the bar strip near the The Reggae Disco on Chaweng. That there was no equivalent elsewhere was because there was no demand for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rumak said:

I travelled many of the "old roads".    Phuket,  Songkla,  Ko Samet,  Pattaya,  and the beautiful North.

Everywhere got busier and less friendly.   The women got fatter.   

Us (now) old guys miss the young days.   Enjoy the better amenities , nowadays.

And if it weren't for internet would probably not know what to do with ourselves at 3 in the morning,

up after taking a p**s.

But one thing is a fact.   Thailand was prettier back then.    As was I .

Parts of Thailand are still pretty, but only where the masses of tourists don't go. The horde destroys- end of.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:23 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Fare for the songtheaw from the ferry port to Chaweng or Lamai used to be 20 baht. Increased significantly even though prices for fuel etc had not gone up much. Just greed. I used to say to myself that one day it was all going to lead to tears. Seems that day has come.

Well, it's maybe not fair to just blame Thai's for the current situation - or the overdevelopment of the Place. I think Farangs were also quite happy to "play-along" in the GREED-GAME. Whenever I visited there, I always felt that the Locals & the Farangs living there felt like they were better than any-other-place ... and looked down on fellow visitors.....? And now ..... everybody is crying foul???

Perhaps, when all the Covid issue will finally be over ..... maybe the various Tourist places all around the world who suffer now - being empty ... will learn to be more appreciative ..... of Visiting Tourists???

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Some inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.

Posts using multi quotes have been removed:

Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes. 

On 7/11/2020 at 11:26 PM, steven100 said:

Koh Samui is a ghost town. Friday night everything was closed, there are no tourists at all.

RIP ...  KS.

are you even here? or maybe just bolted up in chaweng terrified to go to places in Samui where things are almost back to normal ?

• Like 1