Koh Samui: For sale and gathering dust - island that catered to foreigners is completely deserted

49 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Entitled the old or the new testament?🤔 

maybe late testament ... it will be a bestseller in LOS as thais usually are amazed by foreigners telling each other who knows best about their nation

• Haha 1
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The island that sold its soul for greed got its comeuppance! I for one have no sympathy. I stopped going there last century when it went trendy and expensive. Kicked the cheap places out ( l

Stopped going after I was charged Bt600 for a 5km taxi ride from the airport to Chaweng. And the whole place was a building site. Another example of uncontrolled tourism spoiling a Thai resort.

All these islands and towns that have been ruined is a crying shame. Thanks to the idiocy of authorities, the lack of planning permission has turned these places into ugly dumps . They want high class

Posted Images

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fare for the songtheaw from the ferry port to Chaweng or Lamai used to be 20 baht. Increased significantly even though prices for fuel etc had not gone up much. Just greed. I used to say to myself that one day it was all going to lead to tears. Seems that day has come.

1. Supply and demand

2. What happens there now has nothing to do with greed or prices

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

1. Supply and demand

2. What happens there now has nothing to do with greed or prices

You're right.

But its satisfying to see the thieving sods suffer now.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:

You're right.

But its satisfying to see the thieving sods suffer now.

why thieving? Every business in the world tries to sell as much as possible for the highest price it can. 30 years ago the market wanted cheap accommodation, cheap meals, cheap activities. Later on the market changed. More and more people wanted higher end accommodation and where willing to pay for it. Profit margins are higher for 3,4 and 5 stars hotels than for simple huts or guest houses, so the latter were gone in order to make room for new hotels and other venues that could charge more, and obviously there was enough demand

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

why thieving? Every business in the world tries to sell as much as possible for the highest price it can. 30 years ago the market wanted cheap accommodation, cheap meals, cheap activities. Later on the market changed. More and more people wanted higher end accommodation and where willing to pay for it. Profit margins are higher for 3,4 and 5 stars hotels than for simple huts or guest houses, so the latter were gone in order to make room for new hotels and other venues that could charge more, and obviously there was enough demand

agree with a lot of what you say,but how many previously untouched paradises have been ruined by commercial greed and the prasutes it attracts?-----jet ski scams,taxi mafias etc etc,its never the backpackers (which i have been )or budget independent travellers that ruin places just tourists,and it would appear due to covid and the resultant forthcoming recession things might go full circle.and was it as you previously stated more and more people willing to pay or speculators forcing the cheaper beach huts out the market?

40 minutes ago, Grge Soul said:

What did the Vietnamese do?

I can't find direct links to what I've read, it was on social media but fairly compelling and didn't look fake. Basically about multiple cases of highly xenophobic attitude towards all foreigners, blaming them for coronavirus, refusing any kind of services and alienating in general. If I'm not wrong, there was one case described of threatening with physical force. In a bit lighter fashion something like that is described here: https://vietcetera.com/en/opinion-racism-xenophobia-during-covid-19-in-my-shoes

On 7/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The island that sold its soul for greed got its comeuppance!

I for one have no sympathy.

I stopped going there last century when it went trendy and expensive. Kicked the cheap places out ( like Charlie's hut ), destroyed the old Ark bar and built horrid concrete places everywhere.

Couldn't believe it last time I sailed past on the ferry to Phangan- concrete villas destroying every hillside. Used to be a great place to holiday- Chaweng is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, but ruined by greed and aircraft.

Only people to blame are the Thais that destroyed it to get rich.

Used to stay at White Sands Bungalows with buddies in the late 80's early 90's right on Lamai Beach.  Have not been back since 2007 when I saw all the places with character being destroyed to put up "Boutique" hotels.  When my buddies and I get together we still retell those stories of dancing 'till dawn at Green Mango, the crazy fun people we met, the great and cheap food and drinks, the great books we happen to pick up in the lobby library, and of course the ladies.  One night in '92 a buddy and I got really high and went to one of the places where you lay around in bean bag chairs and watch a movie and eat delicious snacks.  We went on the wrong night and instead of watching Wayne's World they showed In the Name of the Father.  We were seriously freaked out.  Good times, good times...

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

i thought the term ' punter ' was gamblers who generally bet on race horses ?

Its what a brass calls a customer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Are Bangkok Airways flying "almost empty" planes??? I have just checked the airline's website (from home in Cambodia) and discovered that for this coming week ECONOMY return flights BKK - Samui are priced FROM 216 US$ (6,765 Thai Baht)!!!!!!!

I just booked a flight on Air Asia from Surat Thani to Bangkok for the end of July and it was 1200. Baht 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, steven100 said:

i see .... is that an American term  ?  in Australia it's just a gambler .. 

No, "punter" is British English slang.