Leaving by air without cancelling workpermit and Visa

Hi everyone

I am going to take a plane next week to go back in Europe (no plan of returning for work in Thailand), my question is:

Can I have problems at airport immigration to leave the country without cancelling my workpermit and visa non-B?

Any recent experiences? 

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

You should not have problems on the way out, but as you were supposed to cancel work permit and visa when you stop working, should you ever return and try to apply for new work permit, you may be denied and sent to police to sort it out. You're breaking the rule but you could claim that situation changed while you were abroad and with COVID crisis, they might even believe you.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, tomazbodner said:

You should not have problems on the way out, but as you were supposed to cancel work permit and visa when you stop working, should you ever return and try to apply for new work permit, you may be denied and sent to police to sort it out. You're breaking the rule but you could claim that situation changed while you were abroad and with COVID crisis, they might even believe you.

I don't want to muddy the waters, but don't they check to make sure you have paid your taxes? 

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

I don't want to muddy the waters, but don't they check to make sure you have paid your taxes? 

On leaving the country? No. How would they know you're not coming back... You could just be going for a business trip. Now of course during Corona times things could be different, but normally no, they didn't.

• Like 1

I did this at end of March. The company cancelled my work permit remotely and gave me a letter all in thai I need to bring next time I return to thailand. I hope I can return to thailand and work again. It was not my fault all the airlines overnight started cancelling at short notice.

You can leave for sure. You may have to pay a fine next time getting a work permit. Hopefully immigration will understand.

Edited by DjChris28
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, problemfarang said:

i dont know covid will change things or not but before they always ask a letter from your employer that your free to leave the country or your not working there anymore. if you dont have this letter from your company, they dont let you leave the country... 

They let me leave ???? no questions asked.. maybe things have changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

i dont know covid will change things or not but before they always ask a letter from your employer that your free to leave the country or your not working there anymore. if you dont have this letter from your company, they dont let you leave the country... 

Not correct info. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

On leaving the country? No. How would they know you're not coming back... You could just be going for a business trip. Now of course during Corona times things could be different, but normally no, they didn't.

Working here.

Will received after tax deducted salary.

Different from when I was working at Singapore.

So they don't scare you run away without paying tax. ????

Is there a reason you do not want to cancel your work permit? I think when I have quit working at a school, they always took care of canceling the work permit. I just had to notify them I was not renewing the contract. I believe it is actually possible to go today except the cancellation of the work permit for a week from now when you take your flight.

But, I’m a rule follower. I’ve still been updating my 90 day reports even under amnesty

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

What? who ask? where ? 

22 hours ago, problemfarang said:

I think you are confusing Thailand with Qatar. No letter or proof of paying taxes is required.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, I have been absent for a while since my first post.

After reading everything , if I understand well, in theory I should have canceled my worpermit / visa and have a letter from the employer to pass airport immigration but in practice we can leave the country without all of that and without any problems..

Anyway appreciate your sharing of experiences 

On 7/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, LukKrueng said:

What? who ask? where ? 

Im not sure about airport but if you have non-b and want to leave the country without a letter from your employee telling your not working there anymore, you just cannot leave. land border IO will not let you go. happened to many of my friends. they dont because of legal things. Maybe you are running away from something and likewise. its a well known thing. 

On 7/14/2020 at 8:19 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I think you are confusing Thailand with Qatar. No letter or proof of paying taxes is required.

tax? who said tax? read again pls.

2 hours ago, Nankaras said:

Thank you all for your replies, I have been absent for a while since my first post.

After reading everything , if I understand well, in theory I should have canceled my worpermit / visa and have a letter from the employer to pass airport immigration but in practice we can leave the country without all of that and without any problems..

Anyway appreciate your sharing of experiences 

hi again,

your employer can do it for you. No need to worry about they will do or not because they have to. They need to show that your not working there anymore. But if you are someone want to play really safe and feel ok, yes you can do that at labor office by yourself. You need a letter from your big boss telling you want to cancel your work permit and not working there anymore. Now after this you really need to go to immigration office and tell them your not working there anymore and give them the letter. They will stamp your passport and tell you that you have 24 hours to leave the country. Or you can pay 1900 baht and stay 1 week more. (if this not changed) 

You also need that letter to leave the country. At this point im not sure you need that or not because you already cancelled everything and theres another stamp in your passport. Please bare in mind that after cancelling your visa at IO your not on non-b anymore. So at this point probably you can leave the country. But if you havent done these steps and you want to leave the country while your passport still has non-b you really need that letter. 

also your last working day is the date on that letter. thats very important.

easy way: just get that letter, check the date on it (its your last day in thailand) then all is ok

8 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Im not sure about airport but if you have non-b and want to leave the country without a letter from your employee telling your not working there anymore, you just cannot leave. land border IO will not let you go. happened to many of my friends. they dont because of legal things. Maybe you are running away from something and likewise. its a well known thing. 

tax? who said tax? read again pls.

So every time a person with non b goes out of Thailand for holidays or business trip they need to show a permission letter from their boss??

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

So every time a person with non b goes out of Thailand for holidays or business trip they need to show a permission letter from their boss??

No

No permission is needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

Have been using Non-B for 12 months+ and ~10 entries/exits in that time and never been asked for anything like this.

Read my answer to ubonjoe above. 

Seriously people, when you reply to someone's reply you should also read what the reply was for

It really would be helpful to people trying to learn and understand the different versions of situations, rules and regulations if people would stop responding with half truths, half facts and opinions and anecdotes of what a friend did and just not comment. You muddy the already confusing situations and understanding of options and directions just to hear yourself talk.