Non-Immigrant Visa type "O-A" (For Retirement long stay) ??

Can anyone help answer my questions.

1) A mate has an O-A visa that he got in oz  before the compulsory insurance. The expiry date has passed. As his last entry was in march he now has a year from that date nearly getting the  2 years out of it as it is designed to do.

?? what is the next procedure to extend this visa.

I know he will need a Thai bank account with 800k.

I refrain for other comment i'll just confuse everyone.

But this is what he sent me 

i asked the XXX at immigration.. can i change to non imm o when current visa expires. Yes but not here. only at embassy outside Thailand. Not at all what I understood. I had issues with same XXX  b4.

2) I was  planning on doing the same in the future but as i now know i will need to get compulsory insurance.( as i dont want to )

Am i better of arriving on a SETV. I  have a thai bank account with 800k already.

So just  get an agent to get my first visa a non O then just keep on renewing that visa  and adding single or multiple entry to it if needed. like most farangs did.

The immigration office gave the correct information. 

It is only after entry into Thailand visa-exempt or with a tourist visa that a non-immigrant visa category O (non-O visa) can be applied for at an immigration office. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, moontang said:

The insurance might be less than the agent fees... I heard 30k or so to get set up without insurance or bank.. but I have never used an agent in 7 years of OA. 

upwards of 30k is  start price https://longstay.tgia.org/ may be less if you find your own

Yes not for a O-A easily myself  done for me in Australia but now I need insurance.

I dont think were one the same page.??

So  you go to another( manybe home ) country and get a new  A-O every 2 years your self.

if so then your next one will need insurance on your next one.

Or do you do this

https://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I would not touch a non O-A. However it has some advantages for few folk.

The best guy to advise you on this is @Peter Denis

Look like your right always thought it was the way to go.

Get your 2 years out of it then extend.

Seems this it not the case.

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

The immigration office gave the correct information. 

It is only after entry into Thailand visa-exempt or with a tourist visa that a non-immigrant visa category O (non-O visa) can be applied for at an immigration office. 

so your saying the O-A has  2 years of value and that is it 

no point in getting it for a retiring  in the first place.

back to square one 

So just do this for me arriving on a visa exempt or SETV.

@Peter Denis

Do you have anything to add.

As what is the way to continue living in thailand.

Having a bank account and no spouse. 

just do it myself this way arriving on visa exempt or SETV then link.

Edited by Talung66

1 hour ago, Talung66 said:
13 hours ago, moontang said:

The insurance might be less than the agent fees... I heard 30k or so to get set up without insurance or bank.. but I have never used an agent in 7 years of OA. 

upwards of 30k is  start price https://longstay.tgia.org/ may be less if you find your own

As advised by @Peter Denis in many threads, this company will be fairly useless for real HI, though will fulfill the immigration requirements for extending an O-A at between 6-11 thousand baht up to 75 y.o. Happy to be corrected Peter!!

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Talung66.

1 - If you are in Thailand now and the permission to stay of your Non Imm O-A Visa is due to expire, there are 2 options:

a) Apply for the 1-year extension based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of MARRIAGE (to a thai national) or for reason of having a dependant thai child.  In that case there is no need for the thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement, which is only applicable when applying for the 1-year extension for reason of RETIREMENT.

b) Exit Thailand and then either apply for a 90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa at a thai Embassy/Consulate abroad (easy application process) or return Visa Exempt and apply for that 90-day Non Imm O retirement Visa at your local IO, and then in the last month of those 90 days appy at that same local IO for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.

Note: Since the Non Imm O-A is a different type Visa than the Non Imm O, thai Immigration rules do not allow to switch Visa type when applying for an extension, hence the required 'border run' in order to 'kill' the permission to stay based on your Non Imm O-A Visa, and allowing you then to start afresh and apply for the Non Imm O Visa.

However, in your case, not married and with borders closed at the moment, both options are not available.  So, you have only 1 option left and that is to bite 'the thai IO-approved health-insurance bullet', which will allow you to apply for the 1-year extension of stay of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

Since all those thai IO-approved health-insurance policies are basically worthless, you could as well subscribe to the dead-cheapest one, that being the LMG Insurance Plan 1 policy (with 200K deductible), for an annual premium between 6.000 and 11.400 THB in the age-categories of 51 till 75.

>> I have PM-ed you some practical information on where/how to apply for that LMG Insurance policy, including tips/caveats when doing so.

In order to access your PM messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum.

2 - If you are in your home-country, applying at the Thai Embassy/Consulate for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa, could still be a worthwhile option.

It's a matter of balancing whether the two years IO-hassle free stay that MultipleEntry Visa can provide you (but now requires health insurance that meets the thai IO criteria, when applying) is more beneficial for you than opting for the alternatives.

One thing is sure > If you ALREADY have foreign or thai health-insurance that meets the IO requirements, there can be no doubt that applying for the Non Imm O-A would be your best option.  The only problem you will face is that you would need to convince your foreign/international insurer to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate required by the thai Embassy, which states that your foreign policy meets the thai IO requirements (400K in-patient and 40K out-patient coverage).  These are ridiculously low amounts, and any foreign/international insurance will be a multiple of that required coverage.  However, the FIC document refers to thai legislation and your insurer will be reluctant to sign such a document unless you have a good personal relation with your insurance agent and can explain him the background of your request.

Alternatively you can subscribe to that very same LMG Insurance policy I mentioned higher.  The cost of the annual premium of that basically worthless policy is low, but it can provide you with the benefits of a Non Imm O-A Visa for almost 2 years (no need to park funds in a thai bank-account or having to apply for a Non Imm Visa or extension at your local IO with all the associated hoops you have to go through).

Personally I am tempted to re-apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa when I am once again in my home-country, as I consider the 2-year IO-hassle free period it provides and the MultipleEntry during the 1-year Visa validity, a huge benefit.

Note: I compiled a comprehensive Guideline document outlining all options/details on how to apply for a Non Imm O Visa, in case you want to dodge the mandatory insurance requirement.

Feel free to PM me for a copy if you are interested in this.

Thanks heaps 

As for me i am still in Australia and advice is taken for future returns .i been doing METV till the price rises and now just do SETV and extend and visa run for as long as needed..

As for my mate i'll pass on all info he is there now with his O-A 2nd year expiring in march. 

11 minutes ago, Talung66 said:

Thanks heaps 

As for me i am still in Australia and advice is taken for future returns .i been doing METV till the price rises and now just do SETV and extend and visa run for as long as needed..

As for my mate i'll pass on all info he is there now with his O-A 2nd year expiring in march. 

Hi,

Re the situation of your mate > Since the permission to stay of his Non Imm O-A Visa only expires in March 2021, he has nothing to worry about. 

But I would recommend he contacts me PM somewhere February, so that I can provide him then the latest version of the Guideline I compiled to apply for a Non Imm O Visa including all options/details to do so.  The document also contains related info of relevance, like applying for the Non Imm O-A in your home-country, the LMG Insurance option and applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O retirement Visa at the Savannakhet consulate.

Note: Are you sure that it is his permission to stay that will expire end of March?  That implies he was one of the lucky ones that re-entered Thailand in March 2020 thus securing a 2nd full year permission to stay.

Re your own situation > It might be useful for you to also consider applying for a Non Imm O (and subsequent extension) or Non Imm O-A Visa, instead of visiting Thailand on Tourist Visa.

If you stay less than 180 days a year in Thailand, Tourist Visa are probably your easiest option.  But if you want to stay longer a Non Imm O or O-A Visa i indicted.

Note: Are you married to a thai national or have thai dependant children?  If so you have way more options to stay long-term in Thailand.

My first NON-OA visa ends in November. There is money in the account, but the amount is less than 400,000. The Samui immigration office is ready to accept affidavit from the consulate of my country. This letter will indicate that my pension in my homeland is more than 65,000.
Please advise how to extend your visa at minimal cost.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi,

Re the situation of your mate > Since the permission to stay of his Non Imm O-A Visa only expires in March 2021, he has nothing to worry about. 

But I would recommend he contacts me PM somewhere February, so that I can provide him then the latest version of the Guideline I compiled to apply for a Non Imm O Visa including all options/details to do so.  The document also contains related info of relevance, like applying for the Non Imm O-A in your home-country, the LMG Insurance option and applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O retirement Visa at the Savannakhet consulate.

Note: Are you sure that it is his permission to stay that will expire end of March?  That implies he was one of the lucky ones that re-entered Thailand in March 2020 thus securing a 2nd full year permission to stay.

Re your own situation > It might be useful for you to also consider applying for a Non Imm O (and subsequent extension) or Non Imm O-A Visa, instead of visiting Thailand on Tourist Visa.

If you stay less than 180 days a year in Thailand, Tourist Visa are probably your easiest option.  But if you want to stay longer a Non Imm O or O-A Visa i indicted.

Note: Are you married to a thai national or have thai dependant children?  If so you have way more options to stay long-term in Thailand.

i just reread his email dont know how he is ok till may 2021. might have got his 2 year extended in thailand. dont think he left the country this year

I have permission to stay until 2 may 21. it's almost 2 years. Back to 30 day TV if i leave and return b4 then. 

1 minute ago, Talung66 said:

Yes cheers ATM i am staying under 180 days in LOS next visit will be same 

ATM this is research for me till i buy property.

51 minutes ago, aspiens said:

My first NON-OA visa ends in November. There is money in the account, but the amount is less than 400,000. The Samui immigration office is ready to accept affidavit from the consulate of my country. This letter will indicate that my pension in my homeland is more than 65,000.
Please advise how to extend your visa at minimal cost.

Some questions to clarify your situation so that correct advice can be given.

1 - What is the issue date and 'valid until' date of your current Non Imm O-A Visa?

2 - What is permission to stay date (as stamped in your passport) you received when last entering Thailand on that Non Imm O-A Visa?

3 - Did you apply since that last entry for any extensions of stay?

4 - Are your married to a thai national or do you have thai dependant children?

5 - What is your age and nationality?

6 - Did you already subscribe to the thai IO-approved health-insurance policy which will be mandatory when applying for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement?

7 - Any additional information of possible relevance re your Visa situation

>> On response I will come back to you with clear and correct advice on how to proceed for the cheapest way to stay long-term in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Talung66 said:

I have permission to stay until 2 may 21. it's almost 2 years. Back to 30 day TV if i leave and return b4 then

I don't follow this. Yes you can obtain 2 years out of non O-A. However you need to exit los and re-enter just prior to it's expires to obtain the "second year".

To have valid permission of stay till 2 may 21, he would need to have entered Thailand 2 may 20. Borders were closed at that time......??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Talung66 said:

i just reread his email dont know how he is ok till may 2021. might have got his 2 year extended in thailand. dont think he left the country this year

I have permission to stay until 2 may 21. it's almost 2 years. Back to 30 day TV if i leave and return b4 then. 

Hi Talung66,

I am sorry, but without correct information I am reluctant to give advice as it might be based on wrong assumptions from my part and I don't want to put anybody on the wrong foot.

>> Re your friend situation and your own situation - it would be helpful if you answered the same questions which I just posted in response to asapiens query.

• Like 1

To Peter Denis,

Hi, Peter. Thanks for the information on Non-Imm-visa.
1. My Non-Imm visa is valid till Oct 02, 2020. I have been renewing the Visa every year for the past 11 years , by submitting an affidavit for income , from the Canadoan Embassy , in Bangkok. I never had any problem for renewal at the Korat Immigration Office. 
2. My 90 day report was due on April 19. Now I wait for the announcement after July 31.
3. Please inform me about the Non-Imm O-A Visa  and Non-Imm O Visa.What is the difference? My Visa stamp shows the category as NON-IMM Retirement Visa.  
4. I am interested in getting a copy of your Guideline Document. My email id
[email protected]
5. One more question: How do I get Permanent Residency Status?. At the Korat Immigration Office, I could not get a complete answer. Please send the web link for this. 
-Thanks. Regards .

Ken Sundaram

8 hours ago, sundaram444 said:

3. Please inform me about the Non-Imm O-A Visa  and Non-Imm O Visa.What is the difference? My Visa stamp shows the category as NON-IMM Retirement Visa.  

That stamp just says it was a non immigrant visa of some kind.

Look on the first visa page in your passport and there is a large stamp with info about the visa you used for entry years ago on it if you have gotten a new passport since and then had the stamps transferred at immigration.

5. One more question: How do I get Permanent Residency Status?.

You have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for at least 3 years to apply for permanent residency.

To Peter Denis,

Hi, Peter. Thanks for the information on Non-Imm-visa.
1. My Non-Imm visa is valid till Oct 02, 2020. I have been renewing the Visa every year for the past 11 years , by submitting an affidavit for income , from the Canadoan Embassy , in Bangkok. I never had any problem for renewal at the Korat Immigration Office. 
2. My 90 day report was due on April 19. Now I wait for the announcement after July 31.
4. I am interested in getting a copy of your Guideline Document. My email id
[email protected]
5. One more question: How do I get Permanent Residency Status?. At the Korat Immigration Office, I could not get a complete answer. Please send the web link for this. 
-Thanks. Regards .

Ken Sundaram

Hi Ken,

1 - That Oct 02, 2020 you mention refers to the permission to stay date from the Non Imm O Visa which expired 11 years ago, but which you have been extending every year.

2 - Your 90-day report was due on April 19.  Because of the Amnesty it has been automatically extended and considered 'done on due date'.  Your next 90-day report will be due July 17, but no need to do anything because also that date still falls in the Amnesty, and by not doing it will also be considered 'done on due date',  The official confirmation of how IO will handle 90-day reports not done during the Amnesty will be announced before the end of the Amnesty, but some offices already indicated that IO will apply this 'considered done on due date' method, which would mean your next due date will be 14 October.

3 - Whether you have a Non Imm O-A or a Non Imm O Visa, is indicated on the sticker in your passport when the Visa was issued to you 11 years ago.  If you have a new passport in mean time, Immigration will have indicated on the first page of that new passport whether you transfered your latest permission to stay stamp from a Non Imm O-A or Non Imm O Visa.

Note: In case the Visa was issued to you 11 years ago by an in-country IO (after you having entered the country VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa), then you definitely are here now on 1-year extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa.  The Non Imm O-A Visa can only be issued to you by a thai Embassy/consulate in your home-country, and it would have provided you with a full 1-year permission to stay when entering Thailand (and such 1-year permission to stay will be provided every time you enter the country during the 1-year validity period of the Visa).

4 - The Guideline document I compiled would only be of relevance for you, if it turns out that you do have a Non Imm O-A Visa.  When staying here on 1-year extensions of stay from such Non Imm O-A Visa, you would be confronted with the now mandatory health-insurance requirement when applying for your next 1-year extension of stay (before the October 2 permission to stay which you presently have expires).  The Guideline document provides you with all details/options when on such a Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, and wanting to switch to a Non Imm O Visa that does NOT require such health-insurance policy.

So let me know if you are on a Non Imm O-A Visa and then I will gladly sent over.

5 - I am not fully knowledgeable on the topic of how to apply for Permanent Residence.

However @ubonjoe for sure can provide you with all info on that subject.

> Edit - In a see now that he just did answer that question in the post preceding this one.

Edited by Peter Denis

21 hours ago, Talung66 said:

Thanks heaps 

Peter Denis!!  what an amazing reply, I am not even involved and am impressed...  they should send you a slab in thanks....  good one..

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

I would not touch a non O-A. However it has some advantages for few folk.

The best guy to advise you on this is @Peter Denis

The only advantages was before the mandatory health insurance. You could have the 800k in your home country and you could get a second year for free. After that the requirements were exactly the same as having an O Visa when extending the stay annually. Then the insurance c**p came up, and the advantages was gone. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Talung66 said:

Thanks heaps 

"So just get an agent to get my first visa a non O then just keep on renewing that visa  and adding single or multiple entry to it if needed. like most farangs did."

Most farangs are not using an agent, mostly farangs not meeting the requirements or haven't got a clue how to do it on their own.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 8:00 AM, Peter Denis said:

Hi Ken,

1 - That Oct 02, 2020 you mention refers to the permission to stay date from the Non Imm O Visa which expired 11 years ago, but which you have been extending every year.

2 - Your 90-day report was due on April 19.  Because of the Amnesty it has been automatically extended and considered 'done on due date'.  Your next 90-day report will be due July 17, but no need to do anything because also that date still falls in the Amnesty, and by not doing it will also be considered 'done on due date',  The official confirmation of how IO will handle 90-day reports not done during the Amnesty will be announced before the end of the Amnesty, but some offices already indicated that IO will apply this 'considered done on due date' method, which would mean your next due date will be 14 October.

3 - Whether you have a Non Imm O-A or a Non Imm O Visa, is indicated on the sticker in your passport when the Visa was issued to you 11 years ago.  If you have a new passport in mean time, Immigration will have indicated on the first page of that new passport whether you transfered your latest permission to stay stamp from a Non Imm O-A or Non Imm O Visa.

Note: In case the Visa was issued to you 11 years ago by an in-country IO (after you having entered the country VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa), then you definitely are here now on 1-year extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa.  The Non Imm O-A Visa can only be issued to you by a thai Embassy/consulate in your home-country, and it would have provided you with a full 1-year permission to stay when entering Thailand (and such 1-year permission to stay will be provided every time you enter the country during the 1-year validity period of the Visa).

4 - The Guideline document I compiled would only be of relevance for you, if it turns out that you do have a Non Imm O-A Visa.  When staying here on 1-year extensions of stay from such Non Imm O-A Visa, you would be confronted with the now mandatory health-insurance requirement when applying for your next 1-year extension of stay (before the October 2 permission to stay which you presently have expires).  The Guideline document provides you with all details/options when on such a Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, and wanting to switch to a Non Imm O Visa that does NOT require such health-insurance policy.

So let me know if you are on a Non Imm O-A Visa and then I will gladly sent over.

5 - I am not fully knowledgeable on the topic of how to apply for Permanent Residence.

However @ubonjoe for sure can provide you with all info on that subject.

> Edit - In a see now that he just did answer that question in the post preceding this one.

Hi, Peter
Thank you very much for your reply. I am sorry I did not check the Thai Visa Forum for few days, since I had been busy with Temple and  Government Functions in our Tambon. 
- My first Visa which I got it at the Thailand Consulate , in Munich. ( I was working in Germany at that time, few months before retirement). It was NON_IMM " O " Category. I have been renewing the Visa every year and the stamp was done on new passport also. The new passport visa shows NON-IMM  as the category. 
I will go to the Korat Immigration office next week and get the 90 day report. 
I will contact @ubonjoe  for information on Permanent Residence. 
Thanks  again and Kind Regards.
Ken Sundaram

On 7/13/2020 at 7:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

That stamp just says it was a non immigrant visa of some kind.

Look on the first visa page in your passport and there is a large stamp with info about the visa you used for entry years ago on it if you have gotten a new passport since and then had the stamps transferred at immigration.

You have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for at least 3 years to apply for permanent residency.

I am on the first year of my Non Imm O-A, and need to bounce and return before November 20th in order to get a second year out of it.  Without that ability I will just go the conversion route to an extension of Stay.  At least I have 4 months until D day for me, maybe they will think of something to assist, but then I am not holding my breath.

Thank you , Ubonjoe. 

As I have sent my reply to Peter Denis, 

The first Visa stamp was NON_IMM "O" .

The subsequent passports showed the same category. The recent New Passport 

stamp shows NON_IMM. 

I heard from friends that Thailand Government gives Citizenship to 100 people of different Nationalities. When I asked for information at Korat IO , they told me it is not easy and could not provide more information. 

Thanks. Regards. 

Ken Sundaram.

9 hours ago, sundaram444 said:

The first Visa stamp was NON_IMM "O" .

The subsequent passports showed the same category. The recent New Passport 

stamp shows NON_IMM. 

That means you do not need insurance since you did not enter using a Non-OA visa.

I heard from friends that Thailand Government gives Citizenship to 100 people of different Nationalities.

There is not quota for applying for a Thai nationality. The quota if for a applying for a permanent residency at immigration under the immigration act. Thai citizenship is done under the Nationality Act and is applied for at the Special Branch police office.

When I asked for information at Korat IO , they told me it is not easy and could not provide more information. 

Thai is due to immigration not having anything to do with applying for Thai nationality. Immigration only processes permanent residency applications.

Both require you to be working with a work permit and paying taxes.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thai is due to immigration not having anything to do with applying for Thai nationality. Immigration only processes permanent residency applications.

Both require you to be working with a work permit and paying taxes.

Only if you're male.

There is no requirement to work or have income if you're a foreign female married to a working Thai male.