What Is This Icon On My Desktop?

JetsetBkk

Windows 10 v. 1909 up to date.

This blue star keeps popping up as near to top left corner as it can.

It is not always present.

I can't delete it. It doesn't appear in a directory listing of the desktop.

Google returns nothing about it, e.g:

"Those nice people at Microsoft have made it even easier to pin a folder to Quick Access, even if you don't use it, don't want it and want your Desktop left alone."

Normal appearance:

Normal.jpg.d61dbdd52d2e1304152195f4b546b448.jpg

Moused over:

1535960636_MouseOver.jpg.ff39dcc62bf05f4e178aa2d8d23feed7.jpg

Right clicked:

1477104076_Rightclick.jpg.d8b3156c4c40e7c84986334a573ac94a.jpg

I have never left-clicked on it and just want it gone.

For all I know it could be malware.

a google search "blue star icon on desktop" showed this...Since upgrading to Windows10 AU, my desktop now displays a new icon in the upper left corner -- an italicized blue star labeled Quick Access, which functions as a shortcut to the Quick Access feature in the tree pane of File Explorer (Quick Access serving as an MRU or "Recents" list)

seems its quick access and removable

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2

I found an app on the web that disables ALL updates to win10 by fiddling with the registry. I installed it over a year ago with no ill effects. The app allows you to turn it off temporarily if you want to monitor the downloads to install only chosen updates from MS. Use this at your own risk of course. 

Note that this means I get no security updates as well. I am vigilant about backing up all my files on an external USB drive on a regular schedule and unplugging the drive after each backup to protect that drive from ransomware attacks. I also use a strong firewall and anti-virus software.

So it's a calculated risk but I decided MS is amore like it kely to crash my computer than malware is. I loathe win10 and Microsoft in general but have never taken the time to convert to another Linux OS. 

The app is easy to find if you search for 'disable win10 backups' . I'll provide more info if anyone wants to PM me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I found an app on the web that disables ALL updates to win10 by fiddling with the registry. I installed it over a year ago with no ill effects. The app allows you to turn it off temporarily if you want to monitor the downloads to install only chosen updates from MS. Use this at your own risk of course. 

Note that this means I get no security updates as well. I am vigilant about backing up all my files on an external USB drive on a regular schedule and unplugging the drive after each backup to protect that drive from ransomware attacks. I also use a strong firewall and anti-virus software.

So it's a calculated risk but I decided MS is amore like it kely to crash my computer than malware is. I loathe win10 and Microsoft in general but have never taken the time to convert to another Linux OS. 

The app is easy to find if you search for 'disable win10 backups' . I'll provide more info if anyone wants to PM me. 

You do not need an app to disable updates from MS. You do it in Settings/Updates

• Like 2

I had a new P.C. with genuine Widows. My Son said just dont remove anything, or you will <deleted> it up like you did removing all the rubbish of Win7. Its hard not to, there is so much lovely rubbish on 10 ill never use. "Talk to Cortana" is proving hard not to ZAP.:coffee1:

19 minutes ago, stouricks said:

You do not need an app to disable updates from MS. You do it in Settings/Updates

You can delay them as some are options and some are mandatory, but eventually they override you and install the 'crucial updates' regardless of your preference. These updates can and regularly do crucially crash your machine. 

I haven't checked in over a year but I'm very dubious that MS gives you the option of totally disabling all updates permanently. It's just not their style to give you control over the machine and software you bought and own. 

I could be wrong, but I've solved the problem for myself and that's good enough. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fantom said:

For those who no longer want to use windows then Linux Mint is an excellent alternative.

Thanks, I've heard that too. I think there are many flavors of Unix that would be fine for most users. Some are free and the better ones are quite cheap. They are so windows lujr that the transition is nearly seamless. 

11 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

I had a new P.C. with genuine Widows. My Son said just dont remove anything, or you will <deleted> it up like you did removing all the rubbish of Win7. Its hard not to, there is so much lovely rubbish on 10 ill never use. "Talk to Cortana" is proving hard not to ZAP.:coffee1:

It is a considerable effort to remove useless junk and you have to be informed to do it safely. 

There is considerable info on the web advising on this topic and much of it is easy but some requires Registry edits. 

I'm convinced that in the end the best way to 'fix' Win10 is to delete it entirely. Next time I go home and have my desktop computer as a backup I'll wipe windows off my laptop for good. 

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

These updates can and regularly do crucially crash your machine. 

I have two Windows 10 Pro PCs, one is a machine I put together myself six years ago, the other an Intel NUC one year old. I have regularly updated both whenever Mr Gates tells me to. Never had a crash or a problem with either.

6 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

It is a considerable effort to remove useless junk and you have to be informed to do it safely. 

There is considerable info on the web advising on this topic and much of it is easy but some requires Registry edits. 

I'm convinced that in the end the best way to 'fix' Win10 is to delete it entirely. Next time I go home and have my desktop computer as a backup I'll wipe windows off my laptop for good. 

And use WHAT?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

I have two Windows 10 Pro PCs, one is a machine I put together myself six years ago, the other an Intel NUC one year old. I have regularly updated both whenever Mr Gates tells me to. Never had a crash or a problem with either.

Good news for you. A quick search will show that the general win10 community fears these updates. 

Glad you have been able to avoid the headaches. Millions more haven't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

And use WHAT?

Well, obviously one of the many Unix systems that look and feel like windows and offer better security as well. They are open source, which is anathema to MS. 

A quick search will show many alternatives at or low cost. One person in this very thread recommended Mint. 

Microsoft is not alone in its ability to write an operating system. 

Search for Linux or Unix versions to replace windows. Your screen will scroll for miles. 

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

Well, obviously one of the many Unix systems that look and feel like windows and offer better security as well. They are open source, which is anathema to MS. 

A quick search will show many alternatives at or low cost. One person in this very thread recommended Mint. 

Microsoft is not alone in its ability to write an operating system. 

Search for Linux or Unix versions to replace windows. Your screen will scroll for miles. 

Thanks Dog, I have been there and installed Linux and like it. But there are just a few things which are too difficult to get working. Will give it another go, on ONE PC first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Where would I find this information please?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. 

Here's a link that will show you the alternatives. 

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-make-the-switch-from-windows-to-linux

Spend some time and you'll be surprised how much these have the touch and feel of windows without being in thrall to Microsoft. 

Notably, many of these can be installed and run from a memory stick or you can install a dual boot on your computer and switch from one OS to the other easily. 

Many of these, if not most also run windows programs flawlessly just ad Apple computers do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've used Windows since 1995 and never once had updates crash any of my machines.

See my post #25 in this thread if you seriously doubt that windows is unpopular with many users. 

This search details update issues, but there are hundreds of reasons to dislike windows and Microsoft. 

If, like some Apple desciples, you are a Windows true believer then just forget I ever mentioned Linux. 

Unlike too many things in life operating systems are something we have a choice in. 

5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've used Windows since 1995 and never once had updates crash any of my machines.

See my post #25 in this thread if you seriously doubt that windows is unpopular with many users. 

This search details update issues, but there are hundreds of reasons to dislike windows and Microsoft. 

If, like some Apple desciples, you are a Windows true believer then just forget I ever mentioned Linux. 

Unlike too many things in life operating systems are something we have a choice in.

I repeat, I've used Windows since 1995 and never once had updates crash any of my machines. The experiences of others really doesn't interest or concern me. I am fully aware of many (the Linux disciples) saying that Linux is superior, but Windows has served me well for 25 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

I repeat, I've used Windows since 1995 and never once had updates crash any of my machines. The experiences of others really doesn't interest or concern me. I am fully aware of many (the Linux disciples) saying that Linux is superior, but Windows has served me well for 25 years.

Note that I was referring specifically to windows 10.

Although other windows versions have also had update problems they were minor or quickly fixed. Neither is true of the win10 update failures which can totally brick your machine.

I have used windows 7 on my box at home for many years and don't intend to change that. I was appalled when the laptop I bought to go to LOS with had win10 installed with no choice. I didn't learn what an invasive horror it was til I got here and started using it. I haven't recovered yet from that shock.

I was able to avoid the abortions called win8, Vista, etc that were dead on arrival. For me a Linux flavor doesn't have to be superior to Windows as long as it does what I need without hobbling my machine and invading my privacy. 

That said I'm a huge fan of Excel spreadsheets and used them extensively in my engineering work. In my opinion there are no alternatives that even come close. Now that I'm retired I can let excel go with only minimum tears. Open Office is adequate for most uses. 

However, I dislike Microsoft's business model and proprietary hold on their products and the machines they run on. So like Google products I am migrating away from them as quickly as possible. 

Anyway, nuff said. Sorry if I offended you. I noticed you also posted on Linux alternatives. 

Peace. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Although other windows versions have also had update problems they were minor or quickly fixed. Neither is true of the win10 update failures which can totally brick your machine.

Have used Windows for yonks and although I haven't had any major problems over the years, lately whenever there's an update, something (not particularly huge) seems to go wrong on my computer, and I know what's in store when I look at the desktop and find out that all of the icons have been rearranged, so that's a sure sign that I need to reboot it several times to get back to normal........if I'm lucky!

• Confused 1