BANGKOK
JetsetBkk

What Is This Icon On My Desktop?

Windows 10 v. 1909 up to date.

This blue star keeps popping up as near to top left corner as it can.

It is not always present.

I can't delete it. It doesn't appear in a directory listing of the desktop.

Google returns nothing about it, e.g:

"Those nice people at Microsoft have made it even easier to pin a folder to Quick Access, even if you don't use it, don't want it and want your Desktop left alone."

Normal appearance:

Normal.jpg.d61dbdd52d2e1304152195f4b546b448.jpg

Moused over:

1535960636_MouseOver.jpg.ff39dcc62bf05f4e178aa2d8d23feed7.jpg

Right clicked:

1477104076_Rightclick.jpg.d8b3156c4c40e7c84986334a573ac94a.jpg

I have never left-clicked on it and just want it gone.

For all I know it could be malware.

Posted (edited)

a google search "blue star icon on desktop" showed this...Since upgrading to Windows10 AU, my desktop now displays a new icon in the upper left corner -- an italicized blue star labeled Quick Access, which functions as a shortcut to the Quick Access feature in the tree pane of File Explorer (Quick Access serving as an MRU or "Recents" list)

seems its quick access and removable

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, RichCor said:

I'd award you a blue star for your quick work, but it's disappeared from my desktop.

It's come back on my desktop.  🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I found an app on the web that disables ALL updates to win10 by fiddling with the registry. I installed it over a year ago with no ill effects. The app allows you to turn it off temporarily if you want to monitor the downloads to install only chosen updates from MS. Use this at your own risk of course. 

Note that this means I get no security updates as well. I am vigilant about backing up all my files on an external USB drive on a regular schedule and unplugging the drive after each backup to protect that drive from ransomware attacks. I also use a strong firewall and anti-virus software.

So it's a calculated risk but I decided MS is amore like it kely to crash my computer than malware is. I loathe win10 and Microsoft in general but have never taken the time to convert to another Linux OS. 

The app is easy to find if you search for 'disable win10 backups' . I'll provide more info if anyone wants to PM me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I found an app on the web that disables ALL updates to win10 by fiddling with the registry. I installed it over a year ago with no ill effects. The app allows you to turn it off temporarily if you want to monitor the downloads to install only chosen updates from MS. Use this at your own risk of course. 

Note that this means I get no security updates as well. I am vigilant about backing up all my files on an external USB drive on a regular schedule and unplugging the drive after each backup to protect that drive from ransomware attacks. I also use a strong firewall and anti-virus software.

So it's a calculated risk but I decided MS is amore like it kely to crash my computer than malware is. I loathe win10 and Microsoft in general but have never taken the time to convert to another Linux OS. 

The app is easy to find if you search for 'disable win10 backups' . I'll provide more info if anyone wants to PM me. 

You do not need an app to disable updates from MS. You do it in Settings/Updates

• Like 2

I had a new P.C. with genuine Widows. My Son said just dont remove anything, or you will <deleted> it up like you did removing all the rubbish of Win7. Its hard not to, there is so much lovely rubbish on 10 ill never use. "Talk to Cortana" is proving hard not to ZAP.:coffee1:

If the star is still popping up in the same location .... get a black spot sticker and place over the star when you see it next.  This will remove the star from your view.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, stouricks said:

You do not need an app to disable updates from MS. You do it in Settings/Updates

You can delay them as some are options and some are mandatory, but eventually they override you and install the 'crucial updates' regardless of your preference. These updates can and regularly do crucially crash your machine. 

I haven't checked in over a year but I'm very dubious that MS gives you the option of totally disabling all updates permanently. It's just not their style to give you control over the machine and software you bought and own. 

I could be wrong, but I've solved the problem for myself and that's good enough. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fantom said:

For those who no longer want to use windows then Linux Mint is an excellent alternative.

Thanks, I've heard that too. I think there are many flavors of Unix that would be fine for most users. Some are free and the better ones are quite cheap. They are so windows lujr that the transition is nearly seamless.