What Is This Icon On My Desktop?

JetsetBkk

On 7/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I repeat, I've used Windows since 1995 and never once had updates crash any of my machines. The experiences of others really doesn't interest or concern me. I am fully aware of many (the Linux disciples) saying that Linux is superior, but Windows has served me well for 25 years.

This guy is right, I've been using Windows since ~1998 to ~2008 and never once had updates crash any of my machines.

Then I've switched to Linux and updates crashed my machines a multitude of times, even now I'm sitting on 5.2.x kernel from 2019 because 5.3.x+ brought my system unstable.

However I'm not going back to Windows because I want a "My Computer", not "Microsoft's Computer", and I still laugh at news like this: https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

Again, Karl!

On 7/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, xylophone said:

Have used Windows for yonks and although I haven't had any major problems over the years, lately whenever there's an update, something (not particularly huge) seems to go wrong on my computer, and I know what's in store when I look at the desktop and find out that all of the icons have been rearranged, so that's a sure sign that I need to reboot it several times to get back to normal........if I'm lucky!

@stouricks 

I noticed you put a "confused" emoji on the post above, however just yesterday when there was an overnight Microsoft update, I was unable to use Outlook in any way, shape or form, this despite trying every "repair" in the book, and some which weren't!!!

I was up until 2 AM this morning trying to fix it, but gave up after becoming totally tired and fed up. I even uninstalled Office 365 and reinstalled it again, all to no avail.

Then this morning when I started it again, it was fine and I had a message from Microsoft which explained that there had been a major problem with an upgrade and that it affected users worldwide, although it was now just about fixed, and my Outlook was working fine.

Just goes to show you never know what you're going to get, rather like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates! 

PS. @fdsa  said: This guy is right, I've been using Windows since ~1998 to ~2008 and never once had updates crash any of my machines. 

Lucky man!

Edited by xylophone

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Then this morning when I started it again, it was fine and I had a message from Microsoft which explained that there had been a major problem with an upgrade and that it affected users worldwide, although it was now just about fixed, and my Outlook was working fine.

Mr Gates must have left me off his email contacts list.   LOL

Are you 100% sure the email actually DID come from Microsoft and not some hacker/virus/malware source?

Edited by stouricks

20 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Mr Gates must have left me off his email contacts list.   LOL

Are you 100% sure the email actually DID come from Microsoft and not some hacker/virus/malware source?

Seems legit and lots on the internet about it....seems like you were lucky that Bill left you off his list!! And as for the "fix" on the second headline---it didn't work for me as I didn't have the 0xc0000005 problem, but had others!

Microsoft rolls out Outlook desktop crash fix - The Verge.

www.theverge.com › microsoft-outlook-crash-launch-is...

13 hours ago - Microsoft's Outlook email app for Windows started crashing at launch for a large number of users around the world today. Office 365 business ...

AND

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-outlook-is-crashing-worldwide-with-0xc0000005-errors-how-to-fix/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OOOh errr, just got a notification to restart my PC to install an update, which I did AFTER a System Restore Point.

Guess what.........................no problems, Outlook and all OK. Sorry about everyone else.

Will use the serial number of my motherboard as lottery numbers !   LOL

11 minutes ago, stouricks said:

OOOh errr, just got a notification to restart my PC to install an update, which I did AFTER a System Restore Point.

Guess what.........................no problems, Outlook and all OK. Sorry about everyone else.

Will use the serial number of my motherboard as lottery numbers !   LOL

Good luck on the lottery.

I had Microsoft Office 365 so perhaps it was applicable to earlier/other programs, but I really thought I had firked up my pc despite having a backup......this because I had to open Outlook to import the OST/PST files, but it opened for a second then crashed every time! 

Anyway, seems better now!

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Good luck on the lottery.

I had Microsoft Office 365 so perhaps it was applicable to earlier/other programs, but I really thought I had firked up my pc despite having a backup......this because I had to open Outlook to import the OST/PST files, but it opened for a second then crashed every time! 

Anyway, seems better now!

I use Libre Office even though I have a 365 subscription, I like it better. BUT Impress, Libre's Power Point WILL NOT transmit audio  via Zoom. Had to use MS PP for that. Strange eh.

Linux here we come!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:58 AM, steven100 said:

If the star is still popping up in the same location .... get a black spot sticker and place over the star when you see it next.  This will remove the star from your view.

Unfortunately, although it always goes for the top left of the desktop screen, if that spot is occupied it'll go further down.

Tonight, it has gone away.

It was there earlier.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:14 PM, RocketDog said:
On 7/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, stouricks said:

I have two Windows 10 Pro PCs, one is a machine I put together myself six years ago, the other an Intel NUC one year old. I have regularly updated both whenever Mr Gates tells me to. Never had a crash or a problem with either.

Good news for you. A quick search will show that the general win10 community fears these updates. 

Glad you have been able to avoid the headaches. Millions more haven't. 

The PC I'm using now is 8 years old - August 2012. I built it and originally ran XP on it. Now it dual boots Win10 and XP. I've never had a problem with updates but always delay them as long as possible before installing them. I also make complete System Images using Acronis every few weeks, just in case. 

3 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

The PC I'm using now is 8 years old - August 2012. I built it and originally ran XP on it. Now it dual boots Win10 and XP. I've never had a problem with updates but always delay them as long as possible before installing them. I also make complete System Images using Acronis every few weeks, just in case. 

Tell me what you can do on XP that you cannot on W10 please.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:46 PM, ianezy0 said:

How to permanently remove the blue, italic star for your desktop.

1. Turn off computer and unplug.
2. Place computer in sink.

3. Turn on tap until water level rises above the computer body.

4. Leave submersed for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes, remove computer from sink.

6. Dry thoroughly with towel.

7. Press on switch.

8. If there is no response then you have been successful in removing the blue, italic star.

In all seriousness, I hope you get it sorted ????

I tried that and now can only use Edge. : (

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, ianezy0 said:

How to permanently remove the blue, italic star for your desktop.

1. Turn off computer and unplug.
2. Place computer in sink.

3. Turn on tap until water level rises above the computer body.

4. Leave submersed for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes, remove computer from sink.

6. Dry thoroughly with towel.

7. Press on switch.

8. If there is no response then you have been successful in removing the blue, italic star.

In all seriousness, I hope you get it sorted ????

No need for all that, just take it to the roof and throw it off, simples. Removes everything at a stroke. 

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:56 AM, pineapple01 said:

I had a new P.C. with genuine Widows. My Son said just dont remove anything, or you will <deleted> it up like you did removing all the rubbish of Win7. Its hard not to, there is so much lovely rubbish on 10 ill never use. "Talk to Cortana" is proving hard not to ZAP.:coffee1:

So turn it off. Hardly rocket science.

There is a big difference between disabling and removing something.

14 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Great idea to dual boot. Pretty useful at times. Kinda like using Tor browser when you really don't want to tracked. XP was one of the stable ones top. Win 7 is still my first choice. 

Also great plan to do disk image regularly. I prefer to mirror instead oof image as you can retrieve individual files but it does take more space. 

You confirm my original point though that you can delay the updates but ultimately you can't stop them without an app like installed. 

I'm a Plan A/Plan B/Plan C kinda guy and it's paid off enough times to make me continue. 

10 hours ago, stouricks said:

Let's turn that question around and it's still valid. In my opinion most of the new stuff win10 offers is useless bloatware. 

Mostly win10 simply takes control of your machine away from you and that's what I resent. 

Imagine buying a Corvette that Chevy had installed a speed control on the engine of. You can't remove it or the engine won't start. 

Of course some folks love win10. More power (but less control) to them.! ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

Intel does not provide chipset and video drivers to Win XP, even Win 7.

So if you want to use modern hardware you will have to use 10, or move to the dark side.

Fair enough. When I was a daily working stiff as well as doing consulting work at night I wanted/needed the fastest and most efficient computer and graphics engines for CAD and analysis work, dual monitors, etc. 

That was another life and my current semi-comatose state (retired) life has minimal needs. So in my case I've quit chasing that train. 

Whatever works is the key. 

19 hours ago, stouricks said:

OK.

1. "Outlook Express". I've got emails going back to 1996. OE still works with Gmail.

2. "Deskbands". They are like toolbars on the left, right and top of the desktop. With them you can access everything on your computer - drives, folders, folders containing folders or shortcuts or macros or command files, etc

Here's a video I uploaded 7 years ago hoping for help in finding some 3rd party utility that did the same, but no luck.

This video was uploaded before Youtube deleted all annotations (2017), so all the explanatory text is missing.

Some people have tried to emulate Deskbands, but have failed,

eg. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5515311/deskband-for-windows-7

11 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

OK.

1. "Outlook Express". I've got emails going back to 1996. OE still works with Gmail.

2. "Deskbands". They are like toolbars on the left, right and top of the desktop. With them you can access everything on your computer - drives, folders, folders containing folders or shortcuts or macros or command files, etc

Here's a video I uploaded 7 years ago hoping for help in finding some 3rd party utility that did the same, but no luck.

This video was uploaded before Youtube deleted all annotations (2017), so all the explanatory text is missing.

Some people have tried to emulate Deskbands, but have failed,

eg. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5515311/deskband-for-windows-7

Hi Jetset. There has been more trouble caused both politically and relationship-wise, by people keeping 'old' emails,texts,messages.

What can you possibly need in a 14 year old email? I am sure you will justify it though. As for finding things on your computer, W10 can also access ANYTHING on your PC very quickly and easily, especially if you, the operater, keep things in a logical order. 

12 hours ago, stouricks said:

Hi Jetset. There has been more trouble caused both politically and relationship-wise, by people keeping 'old' emails,texts,messages.

What can you possibly need in a 14 year old email? I am sure you will justify it though. As for finding things on your computer, W10 can also access ANYTHING on your PC very quickly and easily, especially if you, the operater, keep things in a logical order.

Your maths needs checking! The old emails from when I worked are 24 years old. Why chuck them out? Why delete anything from your history? As for "logical order", my 5 x 2TB drives are ordered perfectly as you can see from that Youtube video I posted.

I prefer to use "Everything Search" from https://www.voidtools.com. It is better and faster than the Windows Search, in my opinion, and you can use "regular expressions" in the search field. Give it a try - you'll be amazed at how fast it is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, fdsa said:

Intel does not provide chipset and video drivers to Win XP, even Win 7.

So if you want to use modern hardware you will have to use 10, or move to the dark side.

You do know that VMWare Player is free, right? Go virtual. No need for Dark Side.

You can boot your old XP system drive in Player... I'm actually doing it with my old Win7 installation, then run it full screen on my second monitor. Windows 10 and Windows 7, side by side. I still use Win7 for some things that Win10 won't do, or I don't want it to do.

Have also separate box running Linux (CentOS7) that apart from being my main hacking box, also runs my NAS (FreeNAS) in KVM virtualization.

• Like 1