Benefits of legally marrying in US vs in Thailand

jackspade

Aside from the obvious fact of the K1 visa resulting in a much faster route to citizenship, are there any other benefits to getting marreid in the US over Thailand?  Or are there any benefits to getting married in Thailand instead?

My fiancé and I want to eventually own land and retire in Thailand, not the US.

Edited by jackspade
  • Like 1

It doesn’t matter where you get married, your marriage is legal around the world no matter where you marry.

Your wife has to immigrate and live in the US to become a citizen, she cannot become one just by being married to you.  The K-1 visa is not a start necessarily to becoming a citizen although it may result in that for many.

• Like 1

If you plan on eventualy being here, I would not get married in the US.

First the K1 can take up to a year now.  And when you get to the US after you marry, the process is very lengthly for her to obtain further documents.

Trying to be honest 50% of them end up in divorce.  You may need to go back to the US at some point and her having the ability to go may create big problems.  Also, if you have assets in the US do you want her to know everything?  Sorry, just being realistic.

To add, they do have prenuptial agreements here.  Just sayin, I am sure your situation is different, but in a few years it may not be so protect yourself.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

First the K1 can take up to a year now.  And when you get to the US after you marry, the process is very lengthly for her to obtain further documents.

Trying to be honest 50% of them end up in divorce.  You may need to go back to the US at some point and her having the ability to go may create big problems.  Also, if you have assets in the US do you want her to know everything?  Sorry, just being realistic.

To add, they do have prenuptial agreements here.  Just sayin, I am sure your situation is different, but in a few years it may not be so protect yourself.

BEST advice you will get here from bkk6060...be very careful, your older and unless you have millions you will not recover fast or easy post divorce.  Remember, nothing is FREE.  

23472901_797351250436958_1032293244531449230_n.jpg.722cc32a317bd240ae94624b876c557c.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 5:19 AM, bkk6060 said:

That's not making sense. First you mention that you shouldn't let her know about assets in the US that you don't want her to know about. Secondly, you mention a prenuptial agreement, which consists of listing all of your assets and declaring all or some of them off-limits for her post-divorce. B is supposed to obviate A. Claro?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...