Nearly one-third of tourism-related businesses 'may shut down permanently'

rooster59

While 1/3 of current businesses may shut, they will be replaced by either the same people with a “new” concept or with the next line of fledgling entrepreneurs. 

There is not a lot of operating capital for these businesses, it’s mostly manpower so they’ll just cancel their business license and get a new one and start anew. 

• Like 1

Many businesses here open and close....you see the sign for soft opening, followed by Grand Opening followed by a closed up shop, in rapid succession. If tourists come back the shops and businesses will open up again with new proprietors. No big deal. Better a good business for 60% than a poor business for the 100%.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Thousands losing all their money or already lost. It might be little hard to fire up new business . Small to medium business owners are not rich people . So if anything gap will widen by 10 fold 

My Thai wife say Prayut crazy!

23 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

You are probably younger than 70! You may find it's pretty expensive for us.

And the unpaid hospital bills confuses me. Whenever I've been to hospital I've always got to show my credit card before I see any health worker. How do these non-payers get away with it?

Probably many emergency situations. When I had a heart attack the orderlies carried me into the emrgency exam room. After less than 2 mins  Dr. says sign here your heart stopping we have to operate.

Vibhavadi Hospital--- afterwards they called my insurance provider and were told they would cover all costs. Still were not going to let me leave (they can't legally do that) so my Thai sis-in-law put on her charge card.  After about a week my insurance compny deposited check into my US bank account and I paid her back.

• Like 1

Shutting down of businesses will result to unemployment for ordinary people, a sad reality. The self sufficient country has great advantage in this current situation. Prepare for the worst and make some remedies to lighten the burden, I think that is the best thing to do. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Many businesses here open and close....you see the sign for soft opening, followed by Grand Opening followed by a closed up shop, in rapid succession. If tourists come back the shops and businesses will open up again with new proprietors. No big deal. Better a good business for 60% than a poor business for the 100%.

When tourism returns yes travel related business will open up, problem is presently there aren't enough availble jobs for those that are out of work due to the closed shops.

• Like 1