UK plans to create 'freeports,' cut taxes: Sunday Telegraph

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You are not getting a deal. Johnsons oven ready deal never existed.

The EU is sticking to its guns and rightly so. Their position has been consistent throughout this whole shambles.

English exceptionalism does not exist anywhere else except in England. The EU is not going to give you all the benefits of being an EU member if you are NOT a member.

Yes the EU countries will suffer because of Brexit but it still has a huge domestic market and indeed trade deals with many countries.

The UK is going to suffer massively. Its going to destroy the economy. A small domestic market and only a few temporary trade deals.

WTO rules. If indeed even that is possible. Is as good as its going to get.

"English exceptionalism", think you will find it is the UK government that is negotiating, not England.

You continuously post your loathing of England, which to me is a bit strange.

But if you get your way, Independence, rejoin the EU, you better hope you haven't got a criminal record, a prison sentence of over a year, cos you won't be able to holiday on the Norfolk Broads....????.................????

• Haha 2

From HMG yesterday:

Following extensive engagement with industry the Government is today (Monday 13 July) publishing the Border Operating Model. The Model provides clarity and certainty for the border industry and businesses, including technical detail on how the border with the European Union (EU) will work after the transition period and the actions that traders, hauliers, ports and carriers need to take.

On December 31st 2020 the transition period with the EU will end, and the UK will operate a full, external border as a sovereign nation. This means that controls will be placed on the movement of goods between Great Britain (GB) and the EU.

Recognising the impact of coronavirus on businesses’ ability to prepare, the government took the decision in June to introduce border controls on imports coming into GB from the EU in three stages up until 1 July 2021. This flexible and pragmatic approach gives industry sufficient time to make necessary arrangements and prepare....

UK Government publishes new Border Operating Model

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed, not a great time for tariffs to be added to those German cars post Brexit and post C19 is it? German cars with tariffs added will look a lot less attractive to Brits once the deal with Japan is signed (the UK/S.Korean deal is already agreed). The last thing Germany needs is more pressure on their slumping car exports if Barnier refuses to drop his ridiculous lopsided demands. Expect to see more Toyotas, Hondas, Nissan, Hyundai on UK roads.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/11/germanys-car-industry-faces-big-challenges-after-coronavirus.html

image.png.2ada75f82c0035148697dd6078b2d772.png

image.png.fde093d25226a83635488a92bcef1ba8.png

If I learned one thing about the English, they pay for quality. The English pay over the odds for almost anything.

English supermarkets are far more overpriced than those in Europe, English housing is far more overprice.

The English are not that sensitive to price, however, they do want the best. And the best is German cars. It's that simple. Even if the UK added tariffs on German cars the Brits will keep buying German cars, I can assure you.

And of course those tariffs will be fairly small because Britain has too much to lose by antagonising the EU. The EU is still the biggest market for British goods.

I'm not worried at all. The only thing that could happen is that German cars could become a bit more expensive for UK consumers. Not a good thing for the British. And German cars are already expensive, most wouldn't even notice the difference.

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The English are not that sensitive to price, however, they do want the best. And the best is German cars. It's that simple. Even if the UK added tariffs on German cars the Brits will keep buying German cars, I can assure you.

Even before Covid-19 that's extremely debatable.

After Covid-19? You're kidding yourself if you think overpriced German Autos are going to be flying off the shelves when people are struggling to pay the mortgage. Especially if the EU antagonizes the British buying public by trying to punish them for leaving their grubby, corrupt club.

The sensible outcome is an FTA. But bitter, spurned individuals can be illogical so if it's No Deal then that's fine, I'd welcome a clean break.

39 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

- snip -

If the father of the household loses his well paid job, it's not so easy getting by on the money from the son's paper 

- snip -

That probably also applies to the UK Fathers. For at least the next 5 years, UK fathers will be much more affected. It would be nice if you didn't always just look at the Brexit damage for the EU. Take a look at what economic damage the UK is experiencing. Then you would be a big step further and could then carry out a reasonable Brexit damage analysis.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

If I learned one thing about the English, they pay for quality. The English pay over the odds for almost anything.

English supermarkets are far more overpriced than those in Europe, English housing is far more overprice.

And of course those tariffs will be fairly small because Britain has too much to lose by antagonising the EU. The EU is still the biggest market for British goods.

I'm not worried at all. The only thing that could happen is that German cars could become a bit more expensive for UK consumers. Not a good thing for the British. And German cars are already expensive, most wouldn't even notice the difference.

As ???????????????????????????? and  ???????? know the difference between ???????? and say ???????? isn't it time you stopped being so bloody ignoRANT?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Tax reform in UK is well over-due. 

I'd like to see a tax on land. The area of the UK is 243k km2. Most of the land was stolen from the people. About time the big land-owners paid their dues. Chuck out income tax for the lower earners and start hitting the rich.

Scotland is a special case. Most of the land was either stolen or given to English gents for favours. 50% of Scotland is owned by just a handful of people (mostly English). 

Time for some changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Even before Covid-19 that's extremely debatable.

After Covid-19? You're kidding yourself if you think overpriced German Autos are going to be flying off the shelves when people are struggling to pay the mortgage. Especially if the EU antagonizes the British buying public by trying to punish them for leaving their grubby, corrupt club.

The sensible outcome is an FTA. But bitter, spurned individuals can be illogical so if it's No Deal then that's fine, I'd welcome a clean break.

Well, as you saw, during the Covid19 crisis itself of the top 5 brands of cars bought the most in the UK four out of five were German, the fifth was not even Korean or Japanese but American, Ford.

I don't think the people who buy new Mercedes, Audi or BMW are waiters or others who lost their job. The reality of the Covid19 crisis is that those who have money also take a hit but they still have money. And if they want to buy a new German car they will do so. They already know that German cars are expensive. Doesn't stop them selling.

I totally agree that a FTA is a sensible solution, alas it is the UK that does not want it, and the Little Englander Brexiteers, charming as Boris and Co are, well, they are ideologically tainted nationalists. So their demands are unreasonable and unrealistic. They do not want to compromise, they do not want a deal, it is clear now even in Europe, that, let's face it, has bent over backwards to help the UK make a deal. But the UK's leadership is not serious about wanting a deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That probably also applies to the UK Fathers. For at least the next 5 years, UK fathers will be much more affected. It would be nice if you didn't always just look at the Brexit damage for the EU. Take a look at what economic damage the UK is experiencing. Then you would be a big step further and could then carry out a reasonable Brexit damage analysis.

Stop worrying, we are not worried.

You should just concentrate on your funding the poor EU countries now we have left..????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Tax reform in UK is well over-due. 

I'd like to see a tax on land. The area of the UK is 243k km2. Most of the land was stolen from the people. About time the big land-owners paid their dues. Chuck out income tax for the lower earners and start hitting the rich.

Scotland is a special case. Most of the land was either stolen or given to English gents for favours. 50% of Scotland is owned by just a handful of people (mostly English). 

Time for some changes.

You've got nufink then...? ????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Stop worrying, we are not worried.

You should just concentrate on your funding the poor EU countries now we have left..????

We put our money where we see returns. It’s called investing. Others invest in blue passports, sovereignty and fish. Let’s compare ROIs in a couple of years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannork said:

A terrible place, east England, with those cold North Sea winds.

Skegness-is-So-Bracing-Its-quicker-by-Rail-London-Travel-Poster-1908.jpg

Its astonishing. These guys actually believe England is the center of the universe.

An independent Scotland in the EU with free movement across the whole of it and they think we will want to holiday in Blackpool and Skegness.

Think if I was back there I would be heading for warmer climes. ????

• Like 1

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

We put our money where we see returns. It’s called investing. Others invest in blue passports, sovereignty and fish. Let’s compare ROIs in a couple of years. 

????.......A money man...........????..

Investing in Romania and others with nothing, highly commendable chap...:clap2:

Bet you have a huge iPhone to look at your cash every minute of the day.

Now be sure to use zebra crossings, none of that jay walking while worrying about exchange rates eh.

Blue passport, well yes it is nice to once again be recognised as being in a citizen of a free sovereign country. 

ROIs, I don't like their crisps, I used to really like OXO crisps though... ????

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So obvious isn't it. Typical Scot, trying so hard to hide his anti-English sentiment but the mask slips so easily once the red mist descends ????.

Pure projection. I have many English friends and indeed family. 

Have we reached the stage now where all Brexiteers have left is sneering and insults?

Surely there is some snappy slogan for eventualities like this?

17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You simply dont get it do you?

Its not me being anti English. I dont know a single person either here or in Scotland who is.

The problem is that many in England believe that everyone else is beneath them. That somehow England is far bigger and more important than it actually is. The EU is not going to be pushed into deals which favour the UK just because its the UK. You have deluded yourselves.

Free access to the EU markets just because its what Brexiteers want? Not having to abide by the standards and rules of that market just because of some myth about sovereignty? Blue passports? Fish? Things which in the grander scheme of things do not matter at all.

You guys wanted out and thats what we are getting.

Get used to it and the damage its going to cause. 

"Its not me being anti English. I dont know a single person either here or in Scotland who is." ????????????

D-vCueOXoAIFf9e.jpg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Its astonishing. These guys actually believe England is the center of the universe.

An independent Scotland in the EU with free movement across the whole of it and they think we will want to holiday in Blackpool and Skegness.

Think if I was back there I would be heading for warmer climes. ????

Hmmmm, I have never been to Blackpool or Skegness, have you...?

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Do other countries that have FTA's with the EU have to give jurisdiction to the ECJ? Have to give up their fishing waters? Having to abide by all their rules in a "level playing field"? No, they don't. It's a stipulation specific to the UK for 2 purposes.

1. Punish the UK for having the temerity to leave.

2. Stop the UK competing with them. They are terrified of what we can do once the ball and chain is off.

So No Deal it is. No problem. You Europhiles will just have to suck it up.

You dont have to abide with the EU rules. It just means you cant get the benefits of being in the EU markets. It is nothing to do with punishment.

You cant have both.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Its not me being anti English. I dont know a single person either here or in Scotland who is." ????????????

D-vCueOXoAIFf9e.jpg

I dont know any of those people.

And I dont want to know any of those people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

D-vCueOXoAIFf9e.jpg

Looks like the "fruit cakes" day out....?

Is one bloke unravelling a German flag.......????

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Looks like the "fruit cakes" day out....?

Is one bloke unravelling a German flag.......????

Are you England? What is the difference between demanding that Brussels stops interfering in UK politics and demanding that England stops interfering in Scottish politics? Why are you so anti-Belgian? 

• Like 2