Thai monkey trainer rejects PETA claims on coconut harvesting

rooster59

Even the Photo taken of this ~ Trainer ~ is showing some of the cruelty.

Notice the Chain Collar around the Monkeys neck in the foreground, and the rope hanging from the Guys Hand ( which has been hidden by the Photographer )

Notice also the other Monkey in the background with a really heavy rope attached to him.

This will prevent the Monkey from too much movement after a period of time due to the weight of it.

The Devil is always in the detail.

And in the civilized World we have great inventions for working in high places. They are called Cherry Pickers, and they are readily available in Thailand.

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

I don't believe this statement at all.  When I lived in Phuket and Ao Nang, I saw many trucks with harvested coconuts and the obligatory monkey hanging onto the back of the truck.  I have never even heard of humans harvesting coconuts in Thailand!

That being said, I've no knowledge of these coconut monkeys being mistreated - so can't give an opinion.

You just did?

aving a larf .....

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

In the UK, around 3,000 monkeys are used annually. Much of this use is to develop and test the safety and effectiveness of potential human medicines and vaccines. Primatesare also used for studying how the brain functions and in research relating to human reproduction.

And importing monkeys to the United States has become increasingly difficult as almost all commercial air carriers now refuse to fly the animals. Yet according to the new USDA figures, scientists used 75,825 nonhuman primates for research last year, up 22% since 2015 and 6% since 2008

if I the monkey I prefer be the coconut monkey, than the medical torture monkey. 

If you are going to quote someone or something then you should name the source or give a link, not present it as if you wrote it yourself. Which, clearly, you did not. It is unethical.

"brainwashed from birth" 

How very true. EVERY country does this to their citizens. Hence the difference in opinions - This result in Allodoxaphobia.

Very few people on this planet will admit this!!!

Edited by ravip

Training Video. REALITY. Working Monkey that comes to us rides unchained alone next to Old Nop. Goes up unchained an sometimes just looks about till hes ready. Sometimes a young chap comes too, nearly as fast because he uses a Knife,then trims off dead stuff whilst aloft. Cruel no way. But dont let the truth get in the way of Fashion Statements beloved of those who know nothing about it first hand.! I and my Family cant stand Cruelty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ravip said:

"brainwashed from birth" 

How very true. EVERY country does this to their citizens. Hence the difference in opinions - This is Allodoxaphobia.

Very few people on this planet will admit this!!!

The difference is that most countries teach about other countries and many citizens even travel to see them and so have at least some knowledge and understanding of the world beyond their borders. That does not apply to many Thais, but they are perfectly happy in their ignorance, in their own little bubble. Maybe that's the right way, not caring about something they have no power over or anything or anyone that doesn't (at least directly) affect them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

I don't believe this statement at all.  When I lived in Phuket and Ao Nang, I saw many trucks with harvested coconuts and the obligatory monkey hanging onto the back of the truck.  I have never even heard of humans harvesting coconuts in Thailand!

That being said, I've no knowledge of these coconut monkeys being mistreated - so can't give an opinion.

We have monkeys and humans with the long cutting poles harvesting the coconuts here in Bang Saphan Noi District. Said on another post that I have never seen mistreated monkeys as they would either stop working or attack the handler.

• Like 1

It's what they give the monkeys to keep them going, I was told by a Coconut plantation owner, that he hires in contract labour for the picking, the contract labour using Monkeys to do the picking. Apparently a favourite one is giving them Ya Bah and another one is Lippo, 

• Sad 1

So dogs that help with adults (and trained to do so) are ok, monkeys who are trained and fed with a job aren't.

This sounds like a double standard doesn't it?  

Yet you can ride an elephant that gets beaten and trained in a horrible manner because it's cute.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scot123 said:
On 7/12/2020 at 7:47 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Am I missing something here? Countries like the UK use and exploit animals in all sorts of ways. From horse and dog racing to donkey rides on the beach. From fox hunting hounds to animals used for testing and research of drugs and cosmetics. From rearing animals to slaughter and serve on the table. How is using monkeys to harvest coconuts any worse?  

What a bizarre attempt to justify a wrong. You do not have a clue. First Animal welfare laws are very strict and inforced, the uk has a great love of dogs and last time I checked the streets are not packed with abandoned vicious rabid dogs. As for horses, have you ever met a horse owner in the uk? I don't think so as you would know that they would do without for the sake of their horse and you mentioned fox hunting which is quite strange considering it has been banned for many years. Then you mention farming. Wow! Have you ever been or worked on a british farm? I think again not. British animal husbandry is one of the best in the world. You do not see half starved worm ridden cattle at the sides of roads. Animals are well fed and cared for. Now if you think a country that has a history of slavery and horrendous treatment and even murder of a work force would all of a sudden treat monkey's better. Bizarre. 

I don't normally respond to such drivel but i will make an exception in your case.

Firstly, I referred to cruelty in horse and dog racing, which includes injecting animals with steroids to enhance their performance. Read the second paragraph regarding the number of horses destroyed at race courses:

https://www.league.org.uk/horse-racing

Sadly, dog racing is no different:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/16/charities-call-for-end-to-greyhound-racing-after-1000-deaths-in-a-year

How is this not worse than coconut gathering monkeys?

Next I mentioned cruelty to donkeys. There is a donkey sanctuary set up in the UK to try and help abused donkeys recover from their traumatic experiences, such as those listed here:

https://thecrueltylistuk.com/category/equine-abuse/donkeys/

I also mentioned fox hunting as this, despite being "banned", is still carried out with impunity:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/25/foxhunting-carries-on-with-impunity-says-former-police-chief

Likewise animals are still being abused when used in testing for drugs and cosmetics:

https://www.hsi.org/news-media/uk-animal-experiment-statistics-2018/

You also ask some personal questions that are really irrelevant to the points I made but I will answer them to satisfy your curiosity:

"Then you mention farming": No I didn't. I mentioned the ethics of rearing and slaughtering animals for the table. You should try visiting an abattoir some time.

"Wow! Have you ever been or worked on a british farm?": I was born and raised on a farm. At no point did I criticize UK animal husbandry or state that farmed animals were not well fed or well taken care of.  

"Have you ever met a horse owner in the UK?": Yes, being born into a farming community we kept horses and my sister still does.

"Now if you think a country that has a history of slavery and horrendous treatment and even murder of a work force": I did not mention slavery and really don't see how it is relevant. I am not sure whether you are referring to the UK or Thailand here. Given all the recent news about the history of slavery and the BLM movement and the current slavery in Leicester it could be that you are referring to the UK:

https://news.sky.com/story/leicester-up-to-10-000-could-be-victims-of-modern-slavery-in-textile-factories-12027289

Now that's "bizarre". Please do not respond with more drivel as it will be ignored.

• Thanks 1