BANGKOK

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

People everywhere, not just falang in Thailand.

Do you know what Echolalia is?

Yes.

Echolalia is the unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person (when repeated by the same person, it is called palilalia). In its profound form it is automatic and effortless. It is one of the echophenomena, closely related to echopraxia, the automatic repetition of movements made by another person; both are "subsets of imitative behavior" whereby sounds or actions are imitated "without explicit awareness". 

Echolalia may be an immediate reaction to a stimulus or may be delayed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a friend from USA who was afraid to come to Thailand because she would not be able to understand what people on the bus next to her were saying... the next time I was on a bus, I decided to pretend that she was there and listen to what the people next to me were saying... 

a group of 4 teenage boys - one said "Ham noy, do you have any water..." - - I got a laugh out of that...

but yes, generally I see that people who have made an effort to learn the language have assimilated more so... though I know several farang who cannot speak and yet have become good family men.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Echolalia is the unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person

Is it ? I learnt something then.

What did you say palilalia meant ?

• Like 1

Because I queried your knowledge of the word, it does not, in anyway, point towards your newly learnt word.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1