xenoglossophobia paranoia

Yinn

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

People everywhere, not just falang in Thailand.

Do you know what Echolalia is?

Yes.

Echolalia is the unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person (when repeated by the same person, it is called palilalia). In its profound form it is automatic and effortless. It is one of the echophenomena, closely related to echopraxia, the automatic repetition of movements made by another person; both are "subsets of imitative behavior" whereby sounds or actions are imitated "without explicit awareness". 

Echolalia may be an immediate reaction to a stimulus or may be delayed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a friend from USA who was afraid to come to Thailand because she would not be able to understand what people on the bus next to her were saying... the next time I was on a bus, I decided to pretend that she was there and listen to what the people next to me were saying... 

a group of 4 teenage boys - one said "Ham noy, do you have any water..." - - I got a laugh out of that...

but yes, generally I see that people who have made an effort to learn the language have assimilated more so... though I know several farang who cannot speak and yet have become good family men.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I bet Thai folk don't have this ploblem, do they Yinn..............????

Maybe. 

Eg  if I with two Issan people together, for be polite, they will speak thai, not Issan. 

Because I not speak Issan well, they speak thai. But if I not there, they will speak Issan. 

When i with not south people, I try not use south dialect. Just for polite, consideration.

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Most people have a fear/anxiety of not understanding or not being understood, hence a fear of a foreign language.

Its a huge leap to presume that this fear means they dont want to learn the language, or have a negative outlook because of not knowing the language.

Foreign language anxiety, or xenoglossophobia, is the feeling of unease, worry, nervousness and apprehension experienced in learning or using a second or foreign language. The feelings may stem from any second language context whether it is associated with the productive skills of speaking and writing or the receptive skills of reading and listening.

link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_language_anxiety

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

How does the OP know which members speak Thai well, and so have high knowledge?

Has any farang here spoken to the lady in Thai, in person, for her to create this thread, which to me is yet another farang wind up thread ?

Divine intervention no doubt.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Susco said:

I wonder what phobia it is when a certain TV member always give the same confused or sad emoji to particular other members, regardless what post in whatever thread they make.

Xanthophobia, & yes dear OP, I googled it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

I wonder what phobia it is when a certain TV member always give the same confused or sad emoji to particular other members, regardless what post in whatever thread they make.

Who's that then, you...?

• Confused 1

For some, such as myself, learning languages has always been very difficult.....Yet, I happily muddle along without worrying.....

I would think anybody that really suffers from paranoia would be anxious in any situation, regardless of what language is being spoken because everything focuses onto themselves....

A lot would depend on "reading" the room/situation/mood if among strangers.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

One of the biggest issues (especially in rural Thailand) is the inability of Thais to understand my Thai.

In the west if you speak something that is not spot on, or tonally correct, the personal to whom you are speaking can usually work out what you are saying from your 'near miss'. In Thailand there are no near misses, you are exactly right - or you are wrong.

The worst example, apart from my inability to communicate my duck egg purchase, (to a guy in a local market who only sells duck eggs - "Ao khai bpet, sam sip faawng, khrup" didn't cut it) was a beer order in a local restaurant/bar. I thought that "Ao LEO lek, khrup" was quite clear...... 3 times I repeated to order to the quizzical waitress before she exclaimed "Oh............ LEE - O...... you want big or small?".  

What else she thought I might be ordering in a bar was beyond me.

Quite true a lot of the  time. But I have learned to accentuate the end of  words as well as mumble a  bit. lol