xenoglossophobia paranoia

Yinn

3 hours ago, faraday said:

People everywhere, not just falang in Thailand.

Do you know what Echolalia is?

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes.

Echolalia is the unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person (when repeated by the same person, it is called palilalia). In its profound form it is automatic and effortless. It is one of the echophenomena, closely related to echopraxia, the automatic repetition of movements made by another person; both are "subsets of imitative behavior" whereby sounds or actions are imitated "without explicit awareness". 

Echolalia may be an immediate reaction to a stimulus or may be delayed.

You should copy and paste from wiki more often. Much easier to comprehend. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Someone who is talking about people's ability to speak other languages, yet, in 4,667 posts, is yet to post in another language, other than their native one, without the old, boring "copy and paste" !

image.png.6e797268e81558b346f6f507b6a5a5b6.png

3 stars for that cartoon.    I think we could start an interesting thread having members speculate

on just what is going through the young fellas mind .....

23 minutes ago, ravip said:

Use Google then; 

???? Seems you have a grudge with Google ????

I do, & that dear Ravi, is why I use Brave - also it stops all the ads.

Smashing

Lovely conversing with you....

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

next time “Ao beer leo kuat lek noi krab”

OR :   Kaw  beeah leeeeee oh  quart lake  (noi krap )  

see, my thai better than Yinn      and i not go 6

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Unfortunately a lot of foreigners in Thailand suffer from:

Ablutophobia

Medomalacuphobia

Phalacrophobia

Very few suffer from:

Methyphobia

While some just suffer from:

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

you know how many Germans suffer from Klaustrophobia ?    Nine !

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

I do, & that dear Ravi, is why I use Brave - also it stops all the ads.

Smashing

Lovely conversing with you....

???? Agree. I use the Brave Browser especially for TVF only.

By 'Google' I meant searching the internet!

Yep! The feeling's mutual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

People suffering from xenoglossophobia will experience a great deal of anxiety when around other people who speak different languages than them. They may believe that people who speak different languages than the one they speak are inherently bad or dangerous.

You mean like Thais around foreigners, yes  I see

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Unfortunately a lot of foreigners in Thailand suffer from:

Ablutophobia

Medomalacuphobia

Phalacrophobia

Very few suffer from:

Methyphobia

While some just suffer from:

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

OMG! I need Dr Google desperately!

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

i still not know it. 

That English high level. Can not understand 1%. 

I feeling xenoglossophobia now. ????

I think choice of topic relevant for TVF. 

Thailand have many foreigner

1) maybe they feel xenoglossophobia when thai speak

2) maybe they speak there language and make thai feel xenoglossophobia. 

Of  course it  would  help when I walk into a shop if the locals didnt immediately say "farang" as If I am deaf or something, I always ask them where and look around in Thai, that confuses the hell  outta  them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

One of the biggest issues (especially in rural Thailand) is the inability of Thais to understand my Thai.

In the west if you speak something that is not spot on, or tonally correct, the personal to whom you are speaking can usually work out what you are saying from your 'near miss'. In Thailand there are no near misses, you are exactly right - or you are wrong.

The worst example, apart from my inability to communicate my duck egg purchase, (to a guy in a local market who only sells duck eggs - "Ao khai bpet, sam sip faawng, khrup" didn't cut it) was a beer order in a local restaurant/bar. I thought that "Ao LEO lek, khrup" was quite clear...... 3 times I repeated to order to the quizzical waitress before she exclaimed "Oh............ LEE - O...... you want big or small?".  

What else she thought I might be ordering in a bar was beyond me.

Perhaps you are assuming that Leo is an easy word to pronounce so that you are understood. It's not. Yes it has to be very clear as you say, Lee - o (two common tones). The waitress probably didn't grt your pronounciation so "lek" wasn't understood. Did you pronounce "lek" with a high tone....if not it is iron. It is important to pronounce as many words in a sentence correctly to be understood in Thai. For a further example I strongly suspect I could say to you : Ao Leo Lek khrap and you would understand me. Even if I pronounced it to mean "Bay Leo Iron Drive". Your ear is trained to something you are familiar with. A Thais ear is trained to the correct pronunciation of each word. I have learnt Thai as an adult foreigner.....I can hear mistakes but because I know those mistakes and can figure things out (after being a Thai teacher for years) I can get it when people pronounce things wrongly better than most Thais.

Rooster

Rooster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Nice cut & paste, perfect English. Now what the f..k does it mean?

I have a massive vocabulary because I am a professional Scrabble player (and one who cares somewhat about meanings). I didn't know echolalia or xenoglossophobia and enjoyed Googling them. The former seems to refer more to a child learning language repeating a word from a question rather than actually answering that question. This is actually one area where learning Thai is so easy. This is because then answering questions it is often only necessary to repeat, say, the verb. So the answer to "mee ngern mai" (do you have money) is not chai (yes) but "mee". This characteristic of the language gives the leaner an opportunity to use lots of vocabulary and hopefully learn to pronounce it when all they are doing is agreeing or saying "yes".

My strategy as a Thai teacher was always to focus on why the language was easy to learn, not why it was hard.

Rooster

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

when i first arrived here years ago it was december, people kept asking the same question over and over again

(you have plan khao dow?) i came to the conclusion after a quick translation rice star must be some kind of budhist festival and maybe better avoided,

On the second year i realised people were asking if i had plans for count down.

In my Thai langauge classes for foreigners one of the most favorite modules/lessons was the pronunciation of foreign words in Thai. It was great because everyone knew the vocabulary from the start and could concentrate on saying it correctly. I often said to my students that the most outlandish way you could pick to pronounce something would often lead you to be better understood. 

I always started the topic by telling people that the hardest word to say in Thai was "coke".

Rooster

2 hours ago, ravip said:

...and vice versa?

I say that already in post #11

Some members can only see one way. 

Only think themself, so sensitive. 

Have anxiety if happen to them, but not care they do same. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The OP doesn't now who can.

1) Other thread talk about who speak thai and can not.

2) obvious who can not because of they post. eg one funny man say he will call the police before because I use “gay king” and “gay queen”. 

If he speak thai he already know is common language. 

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But there's a fair chance that a minority of membership can "speak Thai well", can understand the lingo and have summarily moved on from this thread without comment.

Meanwhile, those that can't "speak Thai well", understand it even less and thus are easy to wind up, find themselves wound up and post about their winded-upedness.

Yes, this topic about that. Xenoglossophobia.

Yinn 

POTY

Bringing happiness and peace to the foreigners in Thailand.????

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

1) Other thread talk about who speak thai and can not.

2) obvious who can not because of they post. eg one funny man say he will call the police before because I use “gay king” and “gay queen”. 

If he speak thai he already know is common language. 

Yes, this topic about that. Xenoglossophobia.

Yinn 

POTY

Bringing happiness and peace to the foreigners in Thailand.????

You are telling lies again...Tut-tut....Try not to twist stuff for your own agenda......????

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Do Thai people have this phobia, is that why they don't teach English at schools here? Because let's face it, Thais' English is frankly shocking.

How come Indonesians and Malaysians can speak such good English but when Thais do you can't understand a word?

I think you know very well why English is generally well understood in both Malaysia and Indonesia ... ???? ....

1 hour ago, rvaviator said:

I think you know very well why English is generally well understood in both Malaysia and Indonesia ... ???? ....

Education in Malaysia and Indonesia is better. The English level in Indonesia and Malaysia is significantly higher than in Thailand. 

They have real problems with speaking other languages in Thailand, even an easy one like English.

5 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

From reading many of your past posts, your understanding and use of the English language leaves much to be desired.  Therefore, my question is, why suddenly cut and paste words that most English speaking people neither know nor use?  What you have been posting shows your own ignorance and pretentiousness because you are using words that you would not use in a normal conversation because they are words that another person has told you and then you went to a source to find out what they mean but you still do not understand them.

'nuf sed.

Definitely wound up.

• Haha 1