Here Is Proof The Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming

A picture tells a thousand words.

Taken from Chong Nonsi BTS 15th April, 2007.

I rest my case.

lol, only thing you have proven is that you can take pictures, your pictures just prove overbuilding is still abundant given falling prices......

Average price of houses at four-year low

Bangkok Post: 20 April 2007

The average housing price in Greater Bangkok declined to 2.14 million baht a unit as of the end of the first quarter _ the lowest since 2003 _ because most developers are shifting to the lower-end market, according to the property consulting firm Agency for Real Estate Affairs (AREA).

The average housing price was 2.83 million baht in 2006 and 3.086 million in 2005, according to the company's earlier surveys.

''This situation showed an oversupply trend in the condominium market remained. If there is an economic crisis, the property market may crash.''

http://thailand-property-guide.com/?p=news...&NewsID=323

REAL ESTATE

Ocean Property delays five projects

Developer yields to weak economy and political uncertainty

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/04...ss_30031036.php

Slowing growth in housing loans foreseen: KRC

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=28699

Edited by bingobongo

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The April edition of the CBRE Bangkok Property Report also supports the notion that in 'prime areas' there is indeed still a boom in the city. Many developers are still quite bullish...just look at Raimon Land's commitments. Middle Eastern investment groups are also bullish on Thailand.

Edited by thai thai

...just look at Raimon Land's commitments. Middle Eastern investment groups are also bullish on Thailand.

Do you mean IFA Hotels & Resorts of Dubai who bought 24% of Raimon in late January at Bt1.7/share?? - shares are currently trading at Bt0.94/share. Going down faster than a Thai hookers knickers.....

donx - thanks for the link information. I have finally got the search engine on the skyscraper forum to yield a result! The Infinity is at:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...nfinity+bangkok

I too agree this is an excellent location; I equate Sathorn as the equivalent of London's West End (and Sukhumvit as the CBD).

bingobongo - to be honest I sort of like Bangkok. Whilst I cannot afford one of the 12, 88m+ penthouses at The Park (all sold bar two way back last year) the issue of a two bedroom apartment going up or down is now quite frankly a financial irrelevance, I mean property prices are cheap as chips!

I simply intend to enjoy the city and its culture, is their anything wrong with that?

the issue of a two bedroom apartment going up or down is now quite frankly a financial irrelevance, I mean property prices are cheap as chips!

I simply intend to enjoy the city and its culture, is their anything wrong with that?

Now that is a very healthy attitude.

The fact is you get a lot of very decent property for very little money in Bangkok. For many people, the fact that it may not be the greatest financial investment is largely irrelevant.

the issue of a two bedroom apartment going up or down is now quite frankly a financial irrelevance, I mean property prices are cheap as chips!

Now that is a very healthy attitude.

The fact is you get a lot of very decent property for very little money in Bangkok. For many people, the fact that it may not be the greatest financial investment is largely irrelevant.

Abrak - Thanks and what I have said is absolutely true. However if too many more people come to the same conclusions as we have there will be an impact down the line, but then again who in their right mind would invest in a country on a downward spiral, not me, things sort of go down hill and become very unpleasant indeed. Somehow I don't think this is the long-term case here, but that is just my opinion.

As I see it there are equally good reasons why prices wont fall much...

(1) Decent rental yields v. interest rates

(2) Prices relatively close to replacement cost

(3) No significant oversupply

(4) Thai developers are not overleveraged (compared to 1997) and are not forced sellers

...as there are for believing that prices will remain soft...

(1) Weak economy

(2) Political woes

(3) FBA, foreign ownership problems,

(4) Gap between price of new and second hand properties

Outlook is flat prices for at least a couple of years until the politics/economics recovers - if one can live with that then it becomes a lifestyle choice.

A picture tells a thousand words.

Taken from Chong Nonsi BTS 15th April, 2007.

I rest my case.

lol, only thing you have proven is that you can take pictures, your pictures just prove overbuilding is still abundant given falling prices......

Average price of houses at four-year low

Bangkok Post: 20 April 2007

The average housing price in Greater Bangkok declined to 2.14 million baht a unit as of the end of the first quarter _ the lowest since 2003 _ because most developers are shifting to the lower-end market, according to the property consulting firm Agency for Real Estate Affairs (AREA).

The average housing price was 2.83 million baht in 2006 and 3.086 million in 2005, according to the company's earlier surveys.

''This situation showed an oversupply trend in the condominium market remained. If there is an economic crisis, the property market may crash.''

http://thailand-property-guide.com/?p=news...&NewsID=323

REAL ESTATE

Ocean Property delays five projects

Developer yields to weak economy and political uncertainty

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/04/04...ss_30031036.php

Slowing growth in housing loans foreseen: KRC

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=28699

Bingo, we are not talking about houses...farangs cannot own houses and land in Thailand legally.

This is a thread about high end condo market in Bangkok.

An interesting and totally useless fact related to the property market. Mortgages as a percentage of GDP in Thailand are 17% compared to 85% in the US and 125% in the UK!! Thais are only just finding out about mortgages - in the last property cycle mortgage finance was not available. That is why average house prices are falling and low/mid end condo developers such as LPN (Bt1/2m range) are doing so well. Middle income Thais are now starting to buy properties but they are buying much lower priced units than in the last cycle - hence lower priced housing, lower priced condos.

livinginexile, regardless, if you think that "Homes" are not defined as condos, then you are just as silly as your avatar....oh well aybe this will help.....

March 28, 2007

Middle to upper condos face oversupply this year

:oThe middle-to-upper condominium market has shown a trend of oversupply due to a predicted low growth in demand this year and throughout next year, :D according to a research report by Raimon Land's Condominium Focus Thailand yesterday.

CEO Nigel J Cornick said that 5,037 condominium units in Bangkok worth over Bt37.4 billion were unsold at the end of last year. The statistics pertained to condominium projects priced up to Bt2 million per unit.

Inner-city Bangkok includes the Sathorn, Sukhumvit, Central Lumpini, Silom, Riverside, Rama III and Phya Thai areas.

Sukhumvit is the main location for unsold condominium projects worth Bt13.3 billion or 35 per cent of total unsold stock worth Bt37.4 billion, followed by Silom/Sathorn worth Bt8.7 billion, Riverside (Bt6.9 billion), Central Lumpini (Bt5.6 billion) and Bt1.5 billion for the Phya Thai and Rama III areas.

Cornick said that if demand shows slight growth lower than supply - both, the existing supply of 5,037 units, and the new projects launched with construction completed of 5,460 units this year, 8,333 units in 2008 and 2,553 units in 2009 - the :Dmarket for middle to upper condominiums will be at risk of oversupply this year and next year. :D

Meanwhile, resort condominiums at tourist destinations Pattaya, Koh Samui, Hun Hin and Phuket also risk facing oversupply in some locations.

According to the research, as of last December, unsold projects at the four tourist destination areas were recorded at 2,466 units, worth Bt29 billion.

Despite the business risks, Raimon Land is continuing three new condo projects worth Bt18.5 billion this year. The three projects are The River on the Chao Phya worth Bt10 billion, 185 Rajadamri worth Bt6 billion and Amanpuri in Phuket worth Bt2.5 billion.(NOTHING LIKE BRINGING MOR INVENTORY TO ALRADY OVERSATURATED MARKET)

The company will also invest Bt2 billion to buy land for developing new property projects next year. Half of its investment budget will come from the company's cash flow and the rest will be borrowed from banks.

"We believe that our new projects in prime locations will meet both foreign and domestic customer demand and will succeed after launching in the market this year," he said.

Somluck Srimalee

The Nation

lets see, should i make an investment decision based on livinginexiles beautiful pictures with a $100 digital camera from the street corner, or #s, .........i will still stick with the #s

PROPERTY

Check buyers' credit, firms are urged

Banks reject 30% of presales purchasers, seminar is told

Property firms must inspect home-buyers' financial status before making a purchase agreement, since commercial banks are now rejecting their presales home-buyers at a :o rate of up to 30 per cent :D , said speakers at a recent seminar jointly organised by the Thai Condominium Association and the Housing Estate Association.

:D Thai Condominium Association president Atip Bijanonda said bank rejections of up to 30 per cent of total home-buyers have had a negative impact on the property market, because firms must resell the projects again. As a result, the property market has had more supply than demand in this year's first quarter. :D

The Sukhumvit Road area is the main location for unsold condominium projects, Bt13.3 billion worth, or 35 per cent of total unsold units. This is followed by Silom/Sathorn, Bt8.7 billion; the riverside, Bt6.9 billion; central Lumpini, Bt5.6 billion; and Phya Thai and Rama III, 1.5 billion each.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/29...ss_30030520.php

Edited by bingobongo

lets see, should i make an investment decision based on livinginexiles beautiful pictures with a $100 digital camera from the street corner, or #s, .........i will still stick with the #s

PROPERTY

Property firms must inspect home-buyers' financial status before making a purchase agreement, since commercial banks are now rejecting their presales home-buyers at a :o rate of up to 30 per cent :D , said speakers at a recent seminar jointly organised by the Thai Condominium Association and the Housing Estate Association.

:D Thai Condominium Association president Atip Bijanonda said bank rejections of up to 30 per cent of total home-buyers have had a negative impact on the property market, because firms must resell the projects again. As a result, the property market has had more supply than demand in this year's first quarter. :D

The Sukhumvit Road area is the main location for unsold condominium projects, Bt13.3 billion worth, or 35 per cent of total unsold units. This is followed by Silom/Sathorn, Bt8.7 billion; the riverside, Bt6.9 billion; central Lumpini, Bt5.6 billion; and Phya Thai and Rama III, 1.5 billion each.

Gees Bingo....why all the anger? have you been stung buying a sub 2 million bht condo out near the old airport 3 years ago but soon after realized it was only worth 2?

Or is a little "back of Bkk condo" all you can aford so you think you can talk the market down by posting totally irrelevant statistics on internet forums?

"CEO Nigel J Cornick said that 5,037 condominium units in Bangkok worth over Bt37.4 billion were unsold at the end of last year. The statistics pertained to condominium projects priced up to Bt2 million per unit".

These stats cover ALL condo's. Again Bingo, we are discussing Bt5 mill+... not "up to Bt2 million".

"Property firms must inspect home-buyers' financial status before making a purchase agreement, since commercial banks are now rejecting their presales home-buyers at a rate of up to 30 per cent, said speakers at a recent seminar jointly organised by the Thai Condominium Association and the Housing Estate Association".

Why are you quoting the average Thai loan application? again sub Bt2 million.

The facts are...high end condo developments are realising strong capital gains and quality projects like the Infinity (that I took with my $50 camera:) are selling out fast.

Stop crying in your beer Bingo.

Bye bye.

Good luck.

PROPERTY

Gees Bingo....why all the anger? have you been stung buying a sub 2 million bht condo out near the old airport 3 years ago but soon after realized it was only worth 2?

Or is a little "back of Bkk condo" all you can aford so you think you can talk the market down by posting totally irrelevant statistics on internet forums?

"CEO Nigel J Cornick said that 5,037 condominium units in Bangkok worth over Bt37.4 billion were unsold at the end of last year. The statistics pertained to condominium projects priced up to Bt2 million per unit".

These stats cover ALL condo's. Again Bingo, we are discussing Bt5 mill+... not "up to Bt2 million".

"Property firms must inspect home-buyers' financial status before making a purchase agreement, since commercial banks are now rejecting their presales home-buyers at a rate of up to 30 per cent, said speakers at a recent seminar jointly organised by the Thai Condominium Association and the Housing Estate Association".

Why are you quoting the average Thai loan application? again sub Bt2 million.

The facts are...high end condo developments are realising strong capital gains and quality projects like the Infinity (that I took with my $50 camera:) are selling out fast.

Stop crying in your beer Bingo.

Bye bye.

Good luck.

no anger livinginexile and I do not drink, just helping folks get all the info........even if reality hurts you

I hate to be pedantic but that statement makes little or no sense - 5,000 condos worth over Bt37bn implies an average price of over Bt7m per condo - so how can it refer to projects priced up to Bt2m per unit?

Perhaps I could add something? If I were to say name 6 as it is a measure what will happen. Why do I say that? What are the 6 most prestigious condominium projects currently available for sale in Bangkok? OK I should have said Thailand but only have certain local knowledge, for example I did not know about the Infinity.

All I personally see is that everything (in this market segment) is sold out. Am I wrong? Please let us try other approaches, as facts and figures seem to be equated to statistics. Could we please explore?

Anyone up for it?

Edited by pkrv

Perhaps I could add something? If I were to say name 6 as it is a measure what will happen. Why do I say that? What are the 6 most prestigious condominium projects currently available for sale in Bangkok? OK I should have said Thailand but only have certain local knowledge, for example I did not know about the Infinity.

All I personally see is that everything (in this market segment) is sold out. Am I wrong? Please let us try other approaches, as facts and figures seem to be equated to statistics. Could we please explore?

Anyone up for it?

Not a bad idea.

Perhaps we could call up a few of these "sold out" developments with cash offers and see if it's true or not.

I have allready tried with Infinity so strike that one off the list.

hello livinginexlie,

given you like to take pictures of unfinished buildings, here is a picture i would like to contribute.......#s will be worse when the YOY for 2006 - 2007 are made, given the bombings, the coup, the slowing economy, and stronger baht......no anger, just information

post-41241-1177595651_thumb.jpg

Ok I contribute to this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58207

I have a vested interest in The Park, but am open and honest about it. The reason why we are at loggerheads is that generic and high-end condominiums are being discussed in the same breath.

The answers are extraordinarily simple. To the best of my knowledge even the new projects I refer to in the above posts are three years off, and I have not particularly researched them.

Please forgive me for using a technical term. There is bugger all available for sale in the high end market at this time (please correct me if I am wrong). The generic and high end condominium markets differ, sorry that’s just the case, and indeed the case of the confusion.

I am afraid it is pointless attempting to apply generic material/facts to non-generic projects; you sort of have to work it out for yourself.

Livinginexile, with all due respect, the title of this thread is "Here Is Proof The Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming." If you really only want to limit the discussion to high end condos then I suggest you have the mods change the title to "Here Is Proof The High End Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming." Otherwise, you will have to realize that posts such as those made by bingobongo are within the scope of the thread's title.

I don't live in Thailand now, but I plan on retiring here in the distant future. I don't own a condo now, but I find it interesting to watch the market because if I did find a great investment opportunity (by investment I mean having a place for myself, family and friends to use in the coming years) then I might proceed and purchase a condo. I personally would only be interested in the high end condo market years from now so watching the mid-level and lower condo market is more interesting to me now.

As with many ThaiVisa members, I'm also interested in real estate as a whole. Despite the fact that farangs can't own land, this doesn't stop my wife and three children from owning land. Thus even discussions about houses for sale interest me although I understand at this point I am going beyond the scope of this thread.

I find it interesting to see the polar opposite views of the status of the real estate market here in Thailand and I agree that for the most part these differences come from looking at significantly different sectors of the market.

Livinginexile, with all due respect, the title of this thread is "Here Is Proof The Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming." If you really only want to limit the discussion to high end condos then I suggest you have the mods change the title to "Here Is Proof The High End Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming." Otherwise, you will have to realize that posts such as those made by bingobongo are within the scope of the thread's title.

I don't live in Thailand now, but I plan on retiring here in the distant future. I don't own a condo now, but I find it interesting to watch the market because if I did find a great investment opportunity (by investment I mean having a place for myself, family and friends to use in the coming years) then I might proceed and purchase a condo. I personally would only be interested in the high end condo market years from now so watching the mid-level and lower condo market is more interesting to me now.

As with many ThaiVisa members, I'm also interested in real estate as a whole. Despite the fact that farangs can't own land, this doesn't stop my wife and three children from owning land. Thus even discussions about houses for sale interest me although I understand at this point I am going beyond the scope of this thread.

I find it interesting to see the polar opposite views of the status of the real estate market here in Thailand and I agree that for the most part these differences come from looking at significantly different sectors of the market.

A heavy-duty reply and indeed I am deeply impressed. My own data is for certain reasons 'limited'. To be honest that you picked out different sectors is fine. To some extent things willingly adapt and change? That is what I personally see here. (Horrifically some other aspects are the leftovers from a book called To Kill A Mockingbird). You are absolutely correct to consider all aspects of the market, but the market too is dynamic.

There is absolutely no way of me saying this diplomatically, but in a sense needs to be said. How many condominiums are you aware of that are 100% Thai owned?

I am wiling to shift direction if the thread owner is, High end and Western owned Condominiums. What say you?

Anyone up for it?

Well taking up your challenge - here is a list of some of the high end condo projects in Bangkok that I would GUESS all have plenty of units for sale.

1. Location - central BKK

2. Bt70k-Bt150k

3. Completion 2007-2009

The River - Chaophraya

The Pano - Rama 3

Emporio Place - Suk 24

Hansar Rajadamri - Rajadamri

Watermark - Charoennakorn Rd

The Met - Sathorn Rd

Regent Residences - Sukhumvit

Sukothai Residences - Sathorn

Millenium Residences - Sukhumvit

Abrak,

You have obviosly been doing your research and have clearly put a lot of effort in to your reply. Reciprocating, (Please these are just my thoughts I will try to keep them constructive and hope not to ruffle any feathers, property is always a horses for courses affair)

1. Location - central BKK

2. Bt70k-Bt150k

3. Completion 2007-2009

The River - Chaophraya

http://www.theriverbangkok.com/

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...e+river+bangkok

I did look at this - It should have stunning views of the river (but then again won't half of them, the ones that may be more difficult to sell, not have?) and looks like an excellent mid range property. On the down side I perceived it to be sort of on the wrong side of the river in terms of infrastructure (sky train etc) though it is close to the Peninsula. At the time they seemed to be charging very heavy prices, for a 'remote' location in comparison with more centralised projects that were being built at the same time (and are now nearing completion). But then again if successful it may make the area more attractive for future developments and more infrastructure will logically follow. Personally I found it to be a bit too high density/big (I think it will be Thailand’s second tallest building).

The Pano - Rama 3

http://www.cbre.co.th/cbre_thailand/Proper...?PropertyID=523

(Sorry I couldn’t locate a skyscraper forum link, but that could be my fault)

Apartments appear to start at 70sq meters (this IMO is quite small) as such there will be a diverse set of buyers so I would class this as mid range and again too high density/big for me. Sorry that’s all I have on this project.

Emporio Place - Suk 24

http://www.cbre.co.th/cbre_thailand/Proper...?PropertyID=605

(Sorry I couldn’t locate a skyscraper forum link, but that could be my fault)

Apartments appear to start at 46sq meters (this IMO is tiny). I would class this as mid range simply because it is in such a great area (The equivalent of London’s West End). Some people tired of renting hotel rooms will find the smaller units a ‘relatively inexpensive’ and easy alternative for holiday breaks.

You have named other projects but just incase I have caused problems I won't comment just yet. But maybe this gives you a flavour of how i personally percieve the market?

Edited by pkrv

Point taken Donx

Perhaps the title should read "High end condo market is still healthy in Bkk and here is the proof".

Mods....can I change the title plz?

I don’t seemed to have annoyed anyone (yet) so pressing on.

Hansar Rajadamri – Rajadamri

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...6668&page=2

From what I have seen/read the smallest unit is 2-bedrooms at 130 Sq m. Spectacular area (the CBD) on the Skytrain over looking the racecourse.

This is a very high-end development, the best that a city can propose. That said early stages and all that stuff, I have not looked deeply into the project, but do stand corrected there is a high end proposal on the table but its probably going to be 3 maybe 4 years away (just guessing from my experiences with The Park).

I don’t seemed to have annoyed anyone (yet) so pressing on.

Hansar Rajadamri – Rajadamri

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...6668&page=2

From what I have seen/read the smallest unit is 2-bedrooms at 130 Sq m. Spectacular area (the CBD) on the Skytrain over looking the racecourse.

This is a very high-end development, the best that a city can propose. That said early stages and all that stuff, I have not looked deeply into the project, but do stand corrected there is a high end proposal on the table but its probably going to be 3 maybe 4 years away (just guessing from my experiences with The Park).

Well its leasehold starting at Bt100k/sqm which doesnt make it that attractive for starters.

There are smaller units available from 65 sqm.

Development is squeezed onto a 2+ rai plot - a little over one acre - so common areas like the pool are likely to be inside the building (my guess).

Hansar Rajdamri

Product type: Leasehold condominiums

Developer: Somhansar

Agent: CB Richard Ellis

Total land area: Two rai, 364 square wah

Number of units: 196

Number of floors: 43

Sizes of units: From 65 square metres

Price of units: Bt6 million to Bt75 million

Facilities: Swimming pool, fitness centre, hotel services

Monthly maintenance fee: Bt50 a square metre

Sinking fund: Bt500 a square metre

Contact number: (02) 654 3300

Source : THE NATION : March 9, 2007

Abrak - Interesting - As you can see this is tricky stuff, that’s why this forum is so great.

Based on your update I would down grade my opinion to a mid range development (based primarily on the area it is in).

Though perhaps I should say everything I have looked at so far appears to be an A grade condominium (there are some superb well informed replies on what constitutes an A grade building on this forum), they are just positioned differently, and quite rightly so.

Inching forward (onward? this is difficult, but all looks OK for the moment)

I did make a challenge and as always I do my best to provide an independent cross-reference. I am worried that if people cannot make up their own mind then this kind of activity is akin to pearls before swine.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.p...termark+bangkok

Watermark - Charoennakorn Rd

Looks like a grade A building. I would say entry level, but quite frankly great views and prospects.

Edited by pkrv