Here Is Proof The Bangkok Condo Market Is Still Booming

According to the land registery prices are up year on year, though down from the peaks of a couple of years ago but theyre certainly not crashing as of yet.

http://housepricecra...nal-monthly.php

I was with you in thinking they were going to crash and if the vile labour government didnt <deleted> over savers to protect the reckless we'd have been correct ... but with .5% interest rates possibly for years to come despite higher then forecast inflation, and with QE to boosts the banks balances and ability to loan im starting to think they may fall a little but just stagnate for 10 years or so.

I think we'll no a lot more 12 months from now as to how the longer term economy is going to perform, i dont think anyone really knows whats going to happen at the moment long term.

PS I'm looking to buy for somewhere to live and keep it for the rest of my days despite being early 30s ... not to make money though obviously im wanting value for money.

Edited by hansum

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the land registery prices are up year on year, though down from the peaks of a couple of years ago but theyre certainly not crashing as of yet.

I was with you in thinking they were going to crash and if the vile labour government didnt <deleted> over savers to protect the reckless we'd have been correct ... but with .5% interest rates possibly for years to come despite higher then forecast inflation, and with QE to boosts the banks balances and ability to loan im starting to think they may fall a little but just stagnate for 10 years or so.

I think we'll no a lot more 12 months from now as to how the longer term economy is going to perform, i dont think anyone really knows whats going to happen at the moment long term.

PS I'm looking to buy for somewhere to live and keep it for the rest of my days despite being early 30s ... not to make money though obviously im wanting value for money.

To get that in perspective I sold one of my UK houses in 2006 for £175000 and now I see its up for sale again at £139000!!

I also looked at the Land Registry data and remain curious about it. The 10 year rate of increase is over 100% while the last year is indicated at a little over 8%.

"Labour has been warned the number of repossessions could spiral to 175,000 in 2012, it can be revealed for the first time today." From today's news.

You really cannot have rising values and record repossessions in the same breath. They are pretty much polar opposites.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296101/Repossessions-hit-175-000-YEAR-according-unpublished-Government-report.html#ixzz0uGtFh3f8'>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296101/Repossessions-hit-175-000-YEAR-according-unpublished-Government-report.html#ixzz0uGtFh3f8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296101/Repossessions-hit-175-000-YEAR-according-unpublished-Government-report.html

I think this thread is about the Bangkok condo market so what is happening with the UK market is for another forum discuss.

These two markets are very much related. If houses don't sell in the UK, houses and condos do not get bought here. British expats make up a very large section of the expat homebuyer community in Thailand.

Well as you were the one boasting about buying at 75 to the pound and then relating it to it being 48/49 now, it was you that was implying youd make money by converting it back to sterling.

If you didnt convert it back to Sterling then you havent actually made a bean if you sold it at the same baht price you bought it for ... comprende?

That was silmply an observation - for guys wishing to make money, this may be a way to go - I personally, and guess what we are all different, and in different stages in life, I will at some time need to choose a home (I have two at the moment). I get a certain comfort factor in that I can juggle the two.

You could for example say I have taken a 50% hit on my UK assets but given I have no need to sell these either, its my call - no one elses.

I believe the expression is called biding my time

<edit Ohh I should have said my fall back position to the UK has actually increassed by 100% - this is very, very, basic stuff - are you sure you should be doing this? end edit >

Edited by pkrv

• 1 year later...

I compare the price of condos in Bangkok to Asian countries that have similar GDP per capita to that of Thailand. For example, the average price per square meter in Thailand is around $3,000. Comparing this to Shanghai's $5,500 per square meter, Bangkok seems like a bargain. Especially when Chinese GDP per capita is slightly lower than Thai GDP per capita. One could argue that the Chinese property bubble is bursting. One could also argue that seeing as property in Bangkok is only slightly over half the price of Shanghai property, the same is not the case with Thailand.

Comparing Thailand to Vietnam instead, where the average price $1,800 per square meter, Thailand still seems reasonable at $3,000. Especially considering Vietnam's GDP per capita is less than 1/3rd that of Thailand's.

I think people also severely underestimate the amount of money Thais have. Not all Thais are poor farmers. In fact, there's a very large amount of Thais who are probably richer than 80% of people on this forum. Thailand's GDP is also growing at about 7% a year. If it stays around 7%, Thailand will have around the same GDP per capita that South Korea has now, in about 15 years.

Edited by rkbauer