Nine points proposed to strengthen new normal

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Why every time I read "new normal" I feel the urge of punching someone right in the face ?????

i'm not into punching people but i do get fed up with the '500 baht and a wai', 'filthy farang', 'falang', etc. brigade

• Like 1

New normal stresses me out. I'd rather wait until things get fine But, it seems like forever. I just try recently to wear masks at the beach and it lessens the enjoyment of being at the beach. ???? ☹️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

stop saying ..........New Normal.........  there is nothing remotely normal about any of this debacle

Ummm - correct, nothing "normal" now, so it is called the "new normal."  How can that be so difficult to grasp?  Change is good, change is healthy, change is happening. 

Accept it or not... Up to you????????

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, talkman said:

New normal stresses me out. I'd rather wait until things get fine But, it seems like forever. I just try recently to wear masks at the beach and it lessens the enjoyment of being at the beach. ???? ☹️

Masks required indoor public spaces, buildings, etc...  Not on the beach AFAIK.  See people every day on the beaches of Pattaya and Dongtan.  No one outside under an umbrella or walking on the beach is wearing a mask

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

The new normal is actually Thailand no longer wants tourists unless they are rich.

This is now even on an article on front page of Windows 10, Microsoft news feed that states that new direction from the government.

On the beaches in Pattaya a list of beach going requirements is now posted, that will surely detract from an enjoyable beach visit. See below.

At this rate the food lines will be a permanent feature.

Thailand is moving from a 3rd world country to 4th or 5th. Pakistan will soon be rated higher. Doubt rich tourists will even want to come here.

Beach Rules.jpg

I can't see them keeping up this charade forever. It will end in a couple of months at the latest. Besides, Thais are already starting to take off their masks and in neighboring countries that were initially very strict like Vietnam, masks are no longer required in most outdoor spaces, and just required in some businesses and on board public transport.

For starters, other beaches - one small sign up with recommendations, no enforcement of any nonsense like mask wearing laws. Stay away from Pattaya beach for the time being is my recommendation.

The key thing about this list of proposals is of course that the planning, discussion, media releases and so on will all have a budget to be managed. The end result, if any, is irrelevant. Once the funds have been appropriately, creatively and imaginatively used, then the whole project will disappear into the swirling fog of beaurocracy!

• Like 1

Aren't they supposed to be looking into easing the social distancing restrictions and allowing people to get back to living normal lives?

Even in the most autocratic countries like Vietnam, which initially quarantined tens or even hundreds of thousands of people domestically (those that never even traveled) they're starting to ease off on the most dystopian requirements. I read that soon after schools went back, students were allowed to take off their masks (at least in the classroom; not sure if they were still required to put them on while entering and leaving school).

In other words, the Vietnamese government terrified it's citizens for about 6-8 weeks then quickly re-opened the domestic economy and started applying common sense.

Meanwhile, Thailand is keeping the fear factor going and trying to continue the charade as long as possible, like a parent punishing children for being naughty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:
6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

More full outright control is the new normal. 

yeah they keep pumping this "new normal" bull, nothing normal about it

*new normal* is so 2 months ago. 

we are stronger together.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mac98 said:

"New normal" means it will be accepted as normal to live with the government's knee on your neck, so "Get used to it!"

Meaning if this charade continues much longer (though I accept as long as the "pandemic" continues common sense is going to be a scarce commodity for some time to come) I'll be leaving the country with my family, permanently.

Aside from a possible trip to immigration in the next few weeks to extend my stay, I am avoiding any public places where this "new normal" nonsense applies and I guess I can continue with this adjustment in my lifestyle for another few months if I have to. Will allow me to make arrangements to eventually leave, perhaps in a year's time or so.

Hard to predict the future because this is a pandemic, not a Thaidemic. What concerns me though is the possibility Thailand will become a "North Korea lite" after this is over, though it would be hard to imagine it as a more dystopian, controlled society than say Communist Vietnam going forward - I just don't think the Thai authorities have the resources or willpower to enforce every single little aspect of people's lives unless they are getting paid handsomely for it. I don't see that happening after the handouts from the WHO end.

Anyway, I don't wish to speculate further since I really can't say how this will end up. Just that Thailand will lose a lot of business if it thinks it can control people this way, 3-6 months from now, when other countries, including it's neighbors, no longer do. But just in case Thailand DOES end up doing that, I'm outta here permanently.