Duramax Diesel Question

Kwarium

GM/Isuzu have built well over 1/2 million Duramax diesel engines in Rayong. (Great Wall Motors have bought the factory and it would make sense that many more similar engines will be produced there.)

The latest version (3rd iteration?) of the 2.5 Duramax diesel with VGT (turbo) puts out 180 HP and 440Nm torque in the Colorado pickups. (30 HP more than the first version back in 2011.)

Does anyone know whether these engines made for Thailand are using DPF (diesel particulate filters)? They enable meeting Euro 4/5 standards by capturing soot while creating maintenance issues, and are required in many/most markets.

Fun Fact: The original small block Chevy V8 with optional 4 bbl carb also made 180 HP, but only 352Nm torque. (Ref:Motor Trend)

Probably of little help BUT... the V-Cross we had in 2012 did not have a DPF 

pF

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Probably of little help BUT... the V-Cross we had in 2012 did not have a DPF

Interesting, thanks. That is the first clue that maybe they don’t put them on the Thai models.

I am trying to get to the root of why there is no Dexos2 oil readily available, and even the dealers have told me it’s not needed.

AFAIK Thailand requires compliance with Euro 4 so Thai diesel pickups do not need to use DPF or SCR systems.  They generally use a DOC and EGR only. 

Some export models with DPF and SCR are assembled in LOS.  

29 minutes ago, RangerP703 said:

No DPF for local models.

THAT explains the blank looks I get asking around about dexos2 oil, which was designed to not clog up the DPF and other eco stuff! Thank you!

I picked up a Colorado for a song (8k km) and it seems to be a great truck. Wish they would have not put a dexos2 oil filler cap on it though! Shell put HX8 fully synthetic diesel 5w-30 in it, before I read up on what dexos was all about.

Big Thanks guys for clearing up that dexos2 is not needed for Thai Duramax diesels! ????

Edited by Kwarium
Add thanks

Next diesel question actually applies to any turbocharged engine. Can anyone with direct experience tell me if installing an oil vapor catch can between the pcv/valve cove and the turbo air intake is a smart mod? 

This is my first turbo, and I plan to run it for many years. It seems like a really good idea to keep the oily engine vapors out of the turbo intake.

Any Duramax drivers using one?

I guarantee you there is NO DPF  on the Chevvy Thai made  Colorado, I know as I messaged them before  buying, good  time to get one  now for the most discount, had mine 18  months,  no  issues at all one dealer <deleted> the other in BKK very good. This vehicle continues to be made in Brazil so parts  will not be a problem.

Its  getting a very minor  facelift in Brazil mainly front  bumper good  value now at 775k for the  top model. Lots of people who dont have one slag them off. I  love the looks and interior I tried  all of them and found many lacking in numerous  ways, Colorado suited me best

41 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Next diesel question actually applies to any turbocharged engine. Can anyone with direct experience tell me if installing an oil vapor catch can between the pcv/valve cove and the turbo air intake is a smart mod? 

This is my first turbo, and I plan to run it for many years. It seems like a really good idea to keep the oily engine vapors out of the turbo intake.

Any Duramax drivers using one?

If you  look at Australia and America many do BUT I  think most of it is BS and the people promoting them are  SELLING them and they should  already have an oil air separator anyway.Plenty of old  ones around with 2-300k km on the clock

Edited by bodga

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Interesting, thanks. That is the first clue that maybe they don’t put them on the Thai models.

I am trying to get to the root of why there is no Dexos2 oil readily available, and even the dealers have told me it’s not needed.

I can clear that up for you. Ok so for 2019 models and onwards they changed engine  oil requirements from 5w30 Dexos full synthetic ( good  oil) which i use to a 10w 40 semi synthetic also a c delco, the service intervals are 15k and 10k respectively, I think they did it to give dealers more work  and it works out slightly cheaper for the owners  long term.  dexos  2  is readily available and I use that , dont buy it from the dealer youll pay 500 baht  more

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/acdelco-5w-30-dexos2-7-100-i424766526-s808486465.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.1.2d38302bnwIsFf&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.126158.0&clickTrackInfo=2ed83784-8f96-45bf-81ac-c2a6c011da6b__424766526__12570__trigger2i__173267__0.703__0.69069237__0.0422348__0.45684686__0.0047327__5.483999E-4__0__6__PDPV2V__249__null__null__0____1990.0__0.1507537688442211__5.0__8__1690.0__

@bodga, thanks.

I wasn’t looking for a Chevy particularly, just a great deal on a good truck. Got a deal on a 2018 LT with 8k km. I also expect it will run a few 100 k with the way I baby my vehices. (6 speed manual to boot.) pretty sure the LT stands for Low Tech.

I am thinking to getting a local catch can, $30 on Lazada, an experiment in case it helps keep the turbo clean!

Chevy trucks are like what, 17% market share here? And the service centers are not closing.

19 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

With a Duramax engine, you don't need to do anything except change the oil and filters on schedule. It will run forever.

That’s the plan, except I try to keep my vehicles like new, so I will be doing stuff!

????

3 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

@bodga, thanks.

I wasn’t looking for a Chevy particularly, just a great deal on a good truck. Got a deal on a 2018 LT with 8k km. I also expect it will run a few 100 k with the way I baby my vehices. (6 speed manual to boot.) pretty sure the LT stands for Low Tech.

I am thinking to getting a local catch can, $30 on Lazada, an experiment in case it helps keep the turbo clean!

Chevy trucks are like what, 17% market share here? And the service centers are not closing.

Their  market share is tiny its a  very  much underrated truck imo. Id  use the DEXOS 2 as  stated in the manual also, its  not anymore expensive, but up to you

4 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

@bodga, thanks.

I have a toyota hilux  also space cab  no catch can its done 260k km and thats direct injection also, properly  designed they  should not need a catch can at  all

When we had the V-Cross I blanked the EGR, the blanks were removed before it was sold.  I still have them if anyone is interested. 

As an aside on the 3.2Ltr Everest, that we have, I was told by Ford a couple of days ago that the engine has to come out if I want the EGR valve cleaned! It will be out of 5-year warranty soon and am going to get Ritter (ECU Thailand) to make it more pleasant to drive, and I believe the EGR will then be held shut in the softwear.

I have a year warranty left on the Colorado, then I’ll be free to do some tweaking for more efficiency.

I would think an ECU shop could tell me whether blanking EGR would give me a cel or trip an error code, unless a Colorado owner here knows.

As far as oil goes, I’m a full synthetic guy, but everything I’ve read seems to point to the dexos2 (along with ACEA C3 and MB 229.51) oil specs have been developed to support the well being of the emissions control systems and higher mpg rather than the maximum lubrication and cooling of the engine and turbo.

Along the same lines as 0w-20 being recommended by Honda and others here in the tropics! I use 5w-30 full synthetic in the CR-V for peace of mind the engine will be better lubed.

Any other Duramax tips or questions?

????

15 hours ago, Jitar said:

AFAIK Thailand requires compliance with Euro 4 so Thai diesel pickups do not need to use DPF or SCR systems.  They generally use a DOC and EGR only. 

Some export models with DPF and SCR are assembled in LOS.  

I had never heard of DOC, but youtube has got me informed! I am gonna have to crawl under and see what I can see in the exhaust system.

I’m guessing that a DOC is not sensitive to oil type (non dexos2, etc.) like the DPF used elsewhere?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

I had never heard of DOC, but youtube has got me informed! I am gonna have to crawl under and see what I can see in the exhaust system.

I’m guessing that a DOC is not sensitive to oil type (non dexos2, etc.) like the DPF used elsewhere?

Thanks!

Exhaust after treatment devices like DOC or DPF are sensitive to engine oil, especially additives, and fuel.  The fuel spec is related to the emission system, hence Thailand using diesel with 50ppm sulphur, not 10ppm sulphur like EU and USA. 

So you need to use the correct oil for your engine.  Dexos is a GM brand but the Colorado handbook should also give the viscosity and API spec required for your engine, e.g 10w30 CJ4 etc.  The dealer should know the correct oil but not a bad idea to cross check.  

13 hours ago, Kwarium said:

I have a year warranty left on the Colorado, then I’ll be free to do some tweaking for more efficiency.

I would think an ECU shop could tell me whether blanking EGR would give me a cel or trip an error code, unless a Colorado owner here knows.

As far as oil goes, I’m a full synthetic guy, but everything I’ve read seems to point to the dexos2 (along with ACEA C3 and MB 229.51) oil specs have been developed to support the well being of the emissions control systems and higher mpg rather than the maximum lubrication and cooling of the engine and turbo.

Along the same lines as 0w-20 being recommended by Honda and others here in the tropics! I use 5w-30 full synthetic in the CR-V for peace of mind the engine will be better lubed.

Any other Duramax tips or questions?

????

Forgot to mention if  you bought an LT spec you have the 163hp fixed geometry turbo, you only get the 180hp vgt with LTZ and higher

35 minutes ago, bodga said:

Forgot to mention if  you bought an LT spec you have the 163hp fixed geometry turbo, you only get the 180hp vgt with LTZ and higher

Input appreciated, but I have the 2018 Colorado LT X-cab with Z71 trim. 180HP and 440Nm from the VGT XLDE25 LP2 which I think was first available in mid 2016. 

Link to Colorado manual in English.

https://en.chevrolet.co.th/content/dam/Chevrolet/asia/thailand/en/complete-care/car-manual/colorado-my20-en.pdf