BANGKOK
Kwarium

Duramax Diesel Question

When we had the V-Cross I blanked the EGR, the blanks were removed before it was sold.  I still have them if anyone is interested. 

As an aside on the 3.2Ltr Everest, that we have, I was told by Ford a couple of days ago that the engine has to come out if I want the EGR valve cleaned! It will be out of 5-year warranty soon and am going to get Ritter (ECU Thailand) to make it more pleasant to drive, and I believe the EGR will then be held shut in the softwear.

I have a year warranty left on the Colorado, then I’ll be free to do some tweaking for more efficiency.

I would think an ECU shop could tell me whether blanking EGR would give me a cel or trip an error code, unless a Colorado owner here knows.

As far as oil goes, I’m a full synthetic guy, but everything I’ve read seems to point to the dexos2 (along with ACEA C3 and MB 229.51) oil specs have been developed to support the well being of the emissions control systems and higher mpg rather than the maximum lubrication and cooling of the engine and turbo.

Along the same lines as 0w-20 being recommended by Honda and others here in the tropics! I use 5w-30 full synthetic in the CR-V for peace of mind the engine will be better lubed.

Any other Duramax tips or questions?

👍

15 hours ago, Jitar said:

AFAIK Thailand requires compliance with Euro 4 so Thai diesel pickups do not need to use DPF or SCR systems.  They generally use a DOC and EGR only. 

Some export models with DPF and SCR are assembled in LOS.  

I had never heard of DOC, but youtube has got me informed! I am gonna have to crawl under and see what I can see in the exhaust system.

I’m guessing that a DOC is not sensitive to oil type (non dexos2, etc.) like the DPF used elsewhere?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

I had never heard of DOC, but youtube has got me informed! I am gonna have to crawl under and see what I can see in the exhaust system.

I’m guessing that a DOC is not sensitive to oil type (non dexos2, etc.) like the DPF used elsewhere?

Thanks!

Exhaust after treatment devices like DOC or DPF are sensitive to engine oil, especially additives, and fuel.  The fuel spec is related to the emission system, hence Thailand using diesel with 50ppm sulphur, not 10ppm sulphur like EU and USA. 

So you need to use the correct oil for your engine.  Dexos is a GM brand but the Colorado handbook should also give the viscosity and API spec required for your engine, e.g 10w30 CJ4 etc.  The dealer should know the correct oil but not a bad idea to cross check.  

13 hours ago, Kwarium said:

I have a year warranty left on the Colorado, then I’ll be free to do some tweaking for more efficiency.

I would think an ECU shop could tell me whether blanking EGR would give me a cel or trip an error code, unless a Colorado owner here knows.

As far as oil goes, I’m a full synthetic guy, but everything I’ve read seems to point to the dexos2 (along with ACEA C3 and MB 229.51) oil specs have been developed to support the well being of the emissions control systems and higher mpg rather than the maximum lubrication and cooling of the engine and turbo.

Along the same lines as 0w-20 being recommended by Honda and others here in the tropics! I use 5w-30 full synthetic in the CR-V for peace of mind the engine will be better lubed.

Any other Duramax tips or questions?

👍

Forgot to mention if  you bought an LT spec you have the 163hp fixed geometry turbo, you only get the 180hp vgt with LTZ and higher

35 minutes ago, bodga said:

Forgot to mention if  you bought an LT spec you have the 163hp fixed geometry turbo, you only get the 180hp vgt with LTZ and higher

Input appreciated, but I have the 2018 Colorado LT X-cab with Z71 trim. 180HP and 440Nm from the VGT XLDE25 LP2 which I think was first available in mid 2016. 

Link to Colorado manual in English.

https://en.chevrolet.co.th/content/dam/Chevrolet/asia/thailand/en/complete-care/car-manual/colorado-my20-en.pdf