Thai Immigration prevent British Child from leaving Thailand

Yesterday, Immigration official at BKK airport prevented my 12 year old daughter ( born in UK ) from leaving Thailand on her valid British passport.  

They stated, her Thai passport had expired and they will no allow her to leave Thailand untili it is renewed.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Do you think they were genuinely questioning whether or not she was same individual as the person in the expired passport?
I could imagine if the picture in the old passport were for example 5 years old, when she was 7, maybe they are genuinely not sure it is really her.

As far as whether or not she legally has the right (or rather, she and a parent legally have the right) to exit the country in the situation you describe would be for someone with knowledge of Thai law to answer.

When taking a child with his/her mother outside of any country in the world. One always needs written permission from the mother unless she is deceased or you have written sole costudy over the child. 

In regards to the passport I find a strange story...If this is truly the case if her passport I would seek legal advice.

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If she entered Thailand on her Thai passport then they will expect her to leave on the same passport. If that PP has expired they won't let here leave.

Renewing a Thai PP is relatively quick and easy.

We're on our way to MOF Laksi.

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If she entered Thailand on her Thai passport then they will expect her to leave on the same passport. If that PP has expired they won't let here leave.

Renewing a Thai PP is relatively quick and easy.

I had the same situation with my daughter but she was allowed to leave, no problem. Entered Thailand on her Thai passport, passport expired and we went on a holiday to Lao on her Dutch passport.

2 minutes ago, Eibot said:

I had the same situation with my daughter but she was allowed to leave, no problem. Entered Thailand on her Thai passport, passport expired and we went on a holiday to Lao on her Dutch passport.

Immigration prevented her from leaving on her British passport.

Edited by ArranP

Just now, ArranP said:

I have sole custody.

I was so cross about this, I found it a impinchment on her right to travel unhindered.

I accept is is easy and a trivial matter to renew her Thai passport,  it is evident that she is the person in the passport, that she is Thai citizen, and that she will be granted entry by the destination country. 

That is why I asked if you had called the British Embassy emergency number.

3 minutes ago, ArranP said:

I have sole custody.

I was so cross about this, I found it a impinchment on her right to travel unhindered.

I accept is is easy and a trivial matter to renew her Thai passport,  it is evident that she is the person in the passport, that she is Thai citizen, and that she will be granted entry by the destination country. 

Sounds like you met the wrong Io officer ????

Just now, Eibot said:

Sounds like you met the wrong Io officer ????

Once she knew I was not accepting what she was telling me, and I was not relenting in giving her a piece of my mind, she ignored me....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PST said:

I had a similar experience with my son around 5 years ago. We were leaving Thailand for our annual trip to the UK, and i neither me or my wife had remembered to check to validity of his Thai passport (our mistake, no excuses). After much talking and a senior being called, we were told that he could leave on his UK passport, but would only be stamped in for 30 days on our return. When we returned to Thailand a month or so later, he entered Thailand on his expired Thai passport, as it legal to let a National into their home country on an expired passport. We were told to renew his Thai possible asap, which we did. We were lucky i guess, as has he been refused it would of been a nightmare.

This is what I was expecting to happen also, they knew she is Thai, had no criminal record, was a British citizen and would be accepted at the desitination country.

Typically draconian.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PST said:

I had a similar experience with my kid around 5 years ago. We were leaving Thailand for our annual trip to the UK, and i neither me or my wife had remembered to check to validity of the Thai passport (our mistake, no excuses). After much talking and a senior IO being called, we were told that he could leave on his UK passport, but would only be stamped in for 30 days on our return. When we returned to Thailand a month or so later, he entered Thailand on his expired Thai passport, as its legal to let a National into their home country on an expired passport. We were told to renew his Thai passport asap, which we did. We were lucky i guess, as had he been refused it would of been a nightmare.

I find it perplexing.

1 hour ago, otissp said:

Do you think they were genuinely questioning whether or not she was same individual as the person in the expired passport?
I could imagine if the picture in the old passport were for example 5 years old, when she was 7, maybe they are genuinely not sure it is really her.

As far as whether or not she legally has the right (or rather, she and a parent legally have the right) to exit the country in the situation you describe would be for someone with knowledge of Thai law to answer.

No, it is clear she is the individual in the passport, has a right to enter the destination country and a valid passport to travel on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArranP said:

I find it perplexing.

Its the same for most countries. Immigration cannot refuse a National entry to their country on an expired passport.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the same for Thais or anybody else. You have to leave the country using a passport from the same country you entered on and it has to be a valid passport.

No argument, ubonjoe, but where can one find that in the legislation ?  It's an interesting point.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ArranP said:

I have sole custody.

My argument is that she may not want to renew her Thai passport, what then is Thailand going to keep her here her entire life prevent her from leaving, I was fuming.....

You're right to be angry ! Thai won't like someone renouncing their Thai citizenship ! Rather superior lot

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

With respect, I would think there might be more to this than you say. Is that only reason given for denying your daughter boarding on her flight ?  Did you try the British Embassy emergency contact number:

If you’re in Thailand and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked or arrested or someone has died), call +66 (0) 2 305 8333.

Thanks,

I just called the number and they confirm that I must goto Laksi first to renew her thai passport.

As my daughter entered thaialnd using her Thai passport, she must leave Thailand on her Thai passport. 

Draconian  <deleted>  Thailand well niffed.

Edited by ArranP
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ArranP said:

My argument is that she may not want to renew her Thai passport

Don't you think that that is purely a decision for her to take in due course when she reaches adulthood, rather than for you to attempt pre-emptive action on her behalf in the meantime (which she may not eventually thank you for)?

• Like 2

Just now, OJAS said:

Don't you think that that is purely a decision for her to take in due course when she reaches adulthood, rather than for you to attempt pre-emptive action on her behalf in the meantime (which she may not eventually thank you for)?

The point I am making is that it is her choice, she may not want to renew her passport and if that were the case what would Thailand do then, keep her imprisoned here against her will .....

• Sad 2