Thai Immigration prevent British Child from leaving Thailand

Strictly speaking she's not allowed dual nationality so travelling into Thailand she uses her Thai passport and does the same leaving Thailand. Entering the UK she uses her British passport and does the same leaving the UK. It doesn't take long to renew a Thai passport. Pity you didn't see that it had expired. The Immigration Officer was within his rights refusing your daughter exit on her UK passport it had no valid TM card in it.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:58 PM, Eibot said:

When taking a child with his/her mother outside of any country in the world. One always needs written permission from the mother unless she is deceased or you have written sole costudy over the child. 

In regards to the passport I find a strange story...If this is truly the case if her passport I would seek legal advice.

Totally not true.. I take my sons together or alone to the UK. From when they were 3 to 15. All you need is both passports. Thai and British. I took my 10 year old to the UK in Feb. So this info is up to date. The reason this child as stopped was because the Thai passport was out of date. The mother mother needs to renew the Thai passport so being out of date it was looked at as a possible child leaving the country without the mothers consent.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:27 PM, 2long said:

Are you on talking terms with the girl's mum? Because you're probably going to need her to go to apply for the new Thai passport tomorrow.

We once all tried to go to Bali when my younger daughter (4.5 years old) had only 5.5 months remaining on her passport. They wouldn't let her on the plane. so I took the older kid and my wife went to get a new passport. But they wouldn't let her apply for it without me being there, and I was in Bali.

Be prepared for problems at MoF Laksi if you don't take the mum.

sole custody, no need for the mum

I would just about bet that she entered Thailand last time on her Thai PP

If it is expired she canot leave.(If not there will be something you are not telling us)

You are lucky, Thailand PP renewing is about the most efficient in the world & you can get it in a week

On 7/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, ArranP said:

Thanks,

I just called the number and they confirm that I must goto Laksi first to renew her thai passport.

As my daughter entered thaialnd using her Thai passport, she must leave Thailand on her Thai passport. 

Draconian  <deleted>  Thailand well niffed.

What’s draconian ?

Like many other posters on this site it seems you want the rules to be made to suit your situation unfortunately it doesn’t work like that in the real world.

Both my wife and daughter have Thai and Australian citizenship and passports.

We travel extensively and when we leave and enter Thailand they use their Thai passports and elsewhere their Australian passports, what’s difficult about that?

Also for the Thai bashers, as far back as I can remember we have always been processed together in the Thai passport line.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

It is the same for Thais or anybody else. You have to leave the country using a passport from the same country you entered on and it has to be a valid passport.

That only seems to apply to Thailand. I can enter UK on UK passport and leave on an OZ one. Just saying.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

That only seems to apply to Thailand. I can enter UK on UK passport and leave on an OZ one. Just saying.

I regularly leave the UK on an UK passport and return on an Irish one, or vice versa, just to confuse the system ????

On 7/12/2020 at 7:07 AM, ArranP said:

Once she knew I was not accepting what she was telling me, and I was not relenting in giving her a piece of my mind, she ignored me....

I trust you got her name and will track her down to apologise when you return now you know you were in the wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Maybe because there are no embarkation controls leaving the UK.

You do show your passport to the carrier but that’s to ensure the name on the ticket matches that on the passport and that you’re eligible to enter the destination country, though carriers do pass on the details to the UKBA.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, chuang said:

No one has the 'right' to enter another country it's a privilege not a right....

Oh I don't think so. My passport states:
Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and Requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.
Did you point that out to the IO @ArranP? ????

On 7/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, ArranP said:

I have sole custody.

I was so cross about this, I found it a impinchment on her right to travel unhindered.

I accept is is easy and a trivial matter to renew her Thai passport,  it is evident that she is the person in the passport, that she is Thai citizen, and that she will be granted entry by the destination country. 

My argument is that she may not want to renew her Thai passport, what then is Thailand going to keep her here her entire life prevent her from leaving, I was fuming.....

At the Thai passport office I've been using for my daughter in Surat Thani, you can have a same day service for a 1,000 baht fee – i.e. come in the morning and get the passport at about 4 pm – probably other offices offers the same.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:00 PM, CaptainCarrot said:

Oh I don't think so. My passport states:
Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and Requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.
Did you point that out to the IO @ArranP? ????

Therefore, based on the available information, by presenting his daughter's UK passport to the Thai immigration official he conveyed to the official the request of Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State to allow his daughter to leave Thailand without hindrance on the strength of this passport although she had not used this passport to enter the country. The official duly acknowledged this request, evaluated it and rejected it.

A request gives its recepient three options: grant it unconditonally; grant it with conditions; or reject it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1