Disposing DVDs, CDs and Books

Lwood

I need to create some space at home and want to get rid of a load of DVDs, CDs and a few books (all English).  I am not looking for any money.  A charity would be great but otherwise anyone who could put them to good use in the pattaya/jomtien area.  I can't find answers through internet searches.    Any ideas please?

There is a second hand bookstall a few doors up from the Triangle bar in Soi Pothole. Can’t remember the name of it but it is an English name like Shakespear or something similar. They would be grateful for anything you give them.

Good luck

Just found out, it’s called Canterbury Tales.

Edited by ianezy0

48 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

But wouldn't giving books to Canterbury Tales be a bit of a chore,sir? ????

Rooster

Ha ha ha now that is my sense of humour ????

Edited by ianezy0

19 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

There is a second hand bookstall a few doors up from the Triangle bar in Soi Pothole. Can’t remember the name of it but it is an English name like Shakespear or something similar. They would be grateful for anything you give them.

Good luck

Just found out, it’s called Canterbury Tales.

Where the hell is soi Pothole?????

On 7/13/2020 at 10:55 AM, ianezy0 said:

5555 Soi Chaloem Phrakiat 23 Alley.

Renowned for the potholes ????

That's funny. I always thought it was Soi Chaiyapoom but must just be local nickname. You could have always added more of a description like -  the sleaziest street in the whole of Pattaya. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

That's funny. I always thought it was Soi Chaiyapoom but must just be local nickname. You could have always added more of a description like -  the sleaziest street in the whole of Pattaya. 

Lol. Yes that’s what I thought so I looked on Google maps and got a different name. ????

• Haha 1

There used to be a "Chaiyapoom Inn Hotel" further down the soi (across from the Anzac Bar). Perhaps that's where people got the name from. (It shows as being there back in 2012 but changed to "Chaiyapoom Apartment" by 2017 or earlier.)

Many sois are named (officially and unofficially) after the predominate business on that soi (at the time). Like Soi Diana Inn. Soi Happy (a-go-go). Soi BJ (yeah, there used to be a "<deleted> bar" up the little alley so the soi was named after it). Soi DayNight. Soi Hollywood, etc, etc.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

A few contenders there actually. 

• Like 1

DVD's I left all of mine  by the rubbish bins ...someone ( probably kids)  threw them all over the road like frisbies but I believe some went  onto a new life as reflective safety devices on the motorcycle sidecars used by the  recycling scavengers,  you can also use them as part of a DIY Wifi Antenna.

• Like 1

Just came back from Canterbury Tales. Had to go to the "bright side" to do some grocery shopping so I thought I'd pop in and see what it's like.

The soi is a bit dilapidated, especially on the soi Bukhao end. Makes soi Khao Noi look like a toll highway in comparison (well, maybe a well used secondary road in rural Isaan). It does have a bit of a "soi 6" feel to it (but it was early afternoon and things were pretty slow). 

The bookstore does have quite the collection of books though. Some of them are sort of grouped together and most are sort of in alphabetical order. Soft and hardcover books in various conditions. Most appear still readable.

One of the features of the place is the scenery. Grab a book or two, sit at one of the tables in the front, have a coffee or beer and pretend to read while watch the activities on the street (and in the bar across the street). Probably gets better in the evenings (and has an even better "soi 6" feel to it).

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Just came back from Canterbury Tales. Had to go to the "bright side" to do some grocery shopping so I thought I'd pop in and see what it's like.

The soi is a bit dilapidated, especially on the soi Bukhao end. Makes soi Khao Noi look like a toll highway in comparison (well, maybe a well used secondary road in rural Isaan). It does have a bit of a "soi 6" feel to it (but it was early afternoon and things were pretty slow). 

The bookstore does have quite the collection of books though. Some of them are sort of grouped together and most are sort of in alphabetical order. Soft and hardcover books in various conditions. Most appear still readable.

One of the features of the place is the scenery. Grab a book or two, sit at one of the tables in the front, have a coffee or beer and pretend to read while watch the activities on the street (and in the bar across the street). Probably gets better in the evenings (and has an even better "soi 6" feel to it).

I have never spent much time on Soi 6 but I think it is more of a budget version. Cheap bars, cheap massage, lots of expats. I have heard it is privately owned and the owners won't pay to repair the roadway.

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I have never spent much time on Soi 6 but I think it is more of a budget version. Cheap bars, cheap massage, lots of expats. I have heard it is privately owned and the owners won't pay to repair the roadway.

Yeah, "Soi 6 Lite" version. Not as "classy" as Soi 6 itself (or LK Metro for that matter). ????

The soi has the proper street signs on it though (showing it to be Soi Chalermphrakiat 25). Not sure if they'd do that for a private street but who knows. The city may not even know if it belongs to them or not !

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1