BANGKOK
ravip

Blood pressure ranges

What is the correct normal blood pressure range? I was under the impression it was 120/80, but just saw a chart on the Sunday Express (UK) as 120/90. Any update on this?

Jeez, a medical doctor touting hibiscus tea because "some of my patients ...". No study, no peer-reviewed paper, no nothing, but "that's my health tip for the day" based on some of my patients.

Now, don't go away. I have another tip. One of my patients goes commando and this particular gentleman has never had testicular cancer and has excellent BP. So that's another tip for you.

And four of my patients from Shropshire ...

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Google is where I got a bit confused!

If I remember right, Long time ago it was 110/70, then 120/80 and now it seems in this latest 120/90

In the second link dated April 2, 2010 says  Normal blood pressure is below 120/80 mm Hg.

On the link I posted, the chart indicates Ideal BP as 120/90 mm Hg.

Yes, its interesting about the "Lowering Elevated Diastolic Blood Pressure Will Lessen Chance of Developing Elevated Systolic Blood Pressure"

Edited by ravip

I bought on eBay such a thing to measure my blood pressure. Then I measured every day and I learned something very interesting. If I drink some beer my blood pressure will go up to 170 and it will take several days to go down to 120 or even lower without any further alcohol. If I eat salt doesn't make any difference. So if you have high blood pressure perhaps it is just because of alcohol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Oldie said:

So if you have high blood pressure perhaps it is just because of alcohol. 

Immediately after drinking alcohol your blood pressure will drop. The greater the alcohol intake , the greater the drop.

However, regular heavy drinking will make your blood pressure higher.

Best way to reduce high blood pressure from my experience is to strengthen the heart by regular exercise of the type that makes you breath harder and makes your heartbeat faster.

Deep breathing exercise for five minutes is a good temporary fix.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ravip said:

Google is where I got a bit confused!

If I remember right, Long time ago it was 110/70, then 120/80 and now it seems in this latest 120/90

In the second link dated April 2, 2010 says  Normal blood pressure is below 120/80 mm Hg.

On the link I posted, the chart indicates Ideal BP as 120/90 mm Hg.

Yes, its interesting about the "Lowering Elevated Diastolic Blood Pressure Will Lessen Chance of Developing Elevated Systolic Blood Pressure"

There isn't universal agreement about what is 'normal' blood pressure but I think 120/80 is generally accepted now.  My Dr prefers to see systolic pressure closer to 110 saying that this reduces stroke risk considerably.  He sees diastolic pressure as less important unless consistently over 90.. also sees low diastolic as ok unless you experience faintness .. when standing up for instance.  Blood pressure changes throughout the day depending on many factors... activity, stress etc..  It is important to take your blood pressure at a similar time and circumstance.  I take mine in the morning after exercise of an hour (bike riding).. and a light breakfast.  It is very important to allow enough time to cool down from the exercise before taking the reading.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It's only considered 'normal' for someone who is unhealthy.......  I'm close on 62 years old and my BP is 110/70 and resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm, all because I exercise and eat a healthy diet.

True, so many older falangs i see are overweight, exercise is just a word to them, then there are those with an unknown drink problem

Edited by scubascuba3

They seem to change the guidelines every now and again, specifically the US guidelines.

• Like 1