Blood pressure ranges

ravip

Jeez, a medical doctor touting hibiscus tea because "some of my patients ...". No study, no peer-reviewed paper, no nothing, but "that's my health tip for the day" based on some of my patients.

Now, don't go away. I have another tip. One of my patients goes commando and this particular gentleman has never had testicular cancer and has excellent BP. So that's another tip for you.

And four of my patients from Shropshire ...

29 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Google is where I got a bit confused!

If I remember right, Long time ago it was 110/70, then 120/80 and now it seems in this latest 120/90

In the second link dated April 2, 2010 says  Normal blood pressure is below 120/80 mm Hg.

On the link I posted, the chart indicates Ideal BP as 120/90 mm Hg.

Yes, its interesting about the "Lowering Elevated Diastolic Blood Pressure Will Lessen Chance of Developing Elevated Systolic Blood Pressure"

Edited by ravip

I bought on eBay such a thing to measure my blood pressure. Then I measured every day and I learned something very interesting. If I drink some beer my blood pressure will go up to 170 and it will take several days to go down to 120 or even lower without any further alcohol. If I eat salt doesn't make any difference. So if you have high blood pressure perhaps it is just because of alcohol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Oldie said:

So if you have high blood pressure perhaps it is just because of alcohol. 

Immediately after drinking alcohol your blood pressure will drop. The greater the alcohol intake , the greater the drop.

However, regular heavy drinking will make your blood pressure higher.

Best way to reduce high blood pressure from my experience is to strengthen the heart by regular exercise of the type that makes you breath harder and makes your heartbeat faster.

Deep breathing exercise for five minutes is a good temporary fix.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ravip said:

Google is where I got a bit confused!

If I remember right, Long time ago it was 110/70, then 120/80 and now it seems in this latest 120/90

In the second link dated April 2, 2010 says  Normal blood pressure is below 120/80 mm Hg.

On the link I posted, the chart indicates Ideal BP as 120/90 mm Hg.

Yes, its interesting about the "Lowering Elevated Diastolic Blood Pressure Will Lessen Chance of Developing Elevated Systolic Blood Pressure"

There isn't universal agreement about what is 'normal' blood pressure but I think 120/80 is generally accepted now.  My Dr prefers to see systolic pressure closer to 110 saying that this reduces stroke risk considerably.  He sees diastolic pressure as less important unless consistently over 90.. also sees low diastolic as ok unless you experience faintness .. when standing up for instance.  Blood pressure changes throughout the day depending on many factors... activity, stress etc..  It is important to take your blood pressure at a similar time and circumstance.  I take mine in the morning after exercise of an hour (bike riding).. and a light breakfast.  It is very important to allow enough time to cool down from the exercise before taking the reading.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It's only considered 'normal' for someone who is unhealthy.......  I'm close on 62 years old and my BP is 110/70 and resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm, all because I exercise and eat a healthy diet.

True, so many older falangs i see are overweight, exercise is just a word to them, then there are those with an unknown drink problem

Edited by scubascuba3

This morning mine is high = will take another 10 mg of my BP Med's....  140/72 and resting heart rate is 68 bpm

My Dr say's my BP should be @ 70 years old between 130 - 135 over 75 - 80

Have a big upper arm BP Machine + test twice a day for past 5 years....  2015 was 55/30 and in Hospital for 6 days, for some reason in March and April this year was around 230/112  most days, so is important for me to check every day

Checked my BP for years. My insights: higher in the west, as soon as I get in Thailand off the plane, it's lower. Also wrist BP meters are more off than the ones on your arm ( I used a omron wrist BP meter). Check alway at same time, in morning. Now 2 years, every day, in a list for review.

Food, sleep and alcohol affect. for instance high sugar intake gives higher readings a day later. Also some wheat products (breads, cookies).

I exercise moderately, and have an average reading of 85/115.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They seem to change the guidelines every now and again, specifically the US guidelines.

That is true.. the guidelines change as new research informs the understanding of best practice.. The American Heart Association is a world leader in this research... doctors worldwide refer to their findings. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Heart_Association

I read that the machine , and your arm should be level with your heart. 

I also checked my blood pressure at home 123 / 78.

I had a 60 kilometre drive to the hospital . The blood pressure machine wasn't on a table , it was a stand up one on wheels.

The machine towers above the seated patient and the arm has to rest on your lap.

155 / 93 was my reading. I talked to them about the arm , machine and heart inline , and they didn't understand , gave one of those nervous laughs and wanted to give me tablets.

I refused , got back home and checked my pressure , it was 125 / 83.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

True, so many older falangs i see are overweight, exercise is just a word to them, then there are those with an unknown drink problem

I am not overweight yet , just voluptuous.

My hair style is borrowed from superstars like Vin Diesel and Bruce Willis.

Edited by Denim

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

It's only considered 'normal' for someone who is unhealthy.......  I'm close on 62 years old and my BP is 110/70 and resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm, all because I exercise and eat a healthy diet.

You are not old yet.

34 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I talked to them about the arm , machine and heart inline , and they didn't understand ,

Believe it is the BP cuff and your heart that need to be near the same level - nothing to do with the machine itself (unless using wrist type).  Suspect your higher BP was what is called "white coat syndrome" but can be any unusual or type stress situation - that 60k drive probably did not help.  My BP is about 110/70 at home but often between 150-190 at hospital.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NE1 said:

It wouldn't have helped with my arm resting on my lap while the BP was taken.

Arm should be resting a bit above lap but even without the cuff is very close to heart level if taking reading on upper arm and sitting normally.

49 minutes ago, simon43 said:

True, and I would expect the same values of BP and resting heart rate when I'm 70 or 80 or 90 years old....

I'm 75 ...116/78 this morning.. I'm no saint but I do exercise 1 hr...nearly every day and try to eat healthy food.. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I have 'White Coat Syndrome' and whenever I go to a hospital, or a doctors, my BP goes through the roof. In home it's at an acceptable reading. 

Mines not acceptable as such when I get home but like you it goes up when at a hospital even when using one of the do it yourself machines.
With a heart rate that is 30 - 40 ( more closer to 40 than in the past ) I still think that there is room for improvement.   However I still think there is twisted logic in this, i.e. the low heart rate.

I have been a vegetarian for 50 years and a vegan for more than 40, perhaps it was my working life of constant travel and burn outs that blew everything away, once it's gone it's unlikely to come back even with gentle exercise ( was more before the stroke ) and simple yoga floor exercise.    Don't miss the opportunity you have now to try and improve your general health whether by diet, exercise or cutting back on certain things that give you enjoyment at the time but screw up your health later.

• Thanks 1