Blood pressure ranges

ravip

12 hours ago, Oldie said:

I bought on eBay such a thing to measure my blood pressure. Then I measured every day and I learned something very interesting. If I drink some beer my blood pressure will go up to 170 and it will take several days to go down to 120 or even lower without any further alcohol. If I eat salt doesn't make any difference. So if you have high blood pressure perhaps it is just because of alcohol. 

Conversely, I find that if I have a glass or two of vino in the evening, my BP, which I take every night & morning, goes down to 110-115.

I do notice that if the diastolic is lower, my BPM goes higher.

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Conversely, I find that if I have a glass or two of vino in the evening, my BP, which I take every night & morning, goes down to 110-115.

I do notice that if the diastolic is lower, my BPM goes higher.

I guess it is not the same for all people. A friend of mine drinks a lot and has a perfect blood pressure. In my case I need one or two days with alcohol and it goes up to around 170 or even more. And it takes several days without booze to go back to perfect values.

I discovered this when I started to check my blood pressure daily at home. So I don't need to take any medication. It didn't work anyway. I simply have to reduce the alcohol consumption. Without measuring daily I would not have discovered this. The doctor prescribing me the pills didn't say anything. But in the meantime there is even a study from 2019 confirming my experience. It is in German so I did not link it. 

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I have 'White Coat Syndrome' and whenever I go to a hospital, or a doctors, my BP goes through the roof. In home it's at an acceptable reading. 

Just got back from the docs/hospital. At the hospital BP 175/103. Arrive home BP 147/89.

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

it changes throughout the day

I know it does but it only gets as high as it does when at the doctors/hospital.

White coat hypertension is high blood pressure that occurs at your doctor’s office or in a medical setting, but not in other settings. Regular hypertension is high blood pressure that occurs in many scenarios, not just a medical one.

Among those with high blood pressure at the doctor’s office, 15 to 30 percent of them may actually have white coat hypertension. Experiencing the white coat effect doesn’t mean you have more general hypertension.

Likewise, some people with hypertension don’t always experience high blood pressure at the doctor’s office.

This second condition is called masked hypertension. It occurs when your blood pressure reading is within a normal range at your doctor’s office but is higher in other settings.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

It's only considered 'normal' for someone who is unhealthy.......  I'm close on 62 years old and my BP is 110/70 and resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm, all because I exercise and eat a healthy diet.

Mind telling me what is your profession when you were younger?

We are talking about 'average' not the other end of the spectrum.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

It doesn't matter, a pulse this low is good for a bradycardia diagnosis

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

I was a rocket scientist  (I'm not joking...)

It doesn't matter, a pulse this low is good for a bradycardia diagnosis

Correct, but bradycardia is a healthy symptom for those who exercise regularly. (My resting heart rate used to be about 80bpm a few years ago because I started daily exercise.  It's slowly come down as my fitness level improved).

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Exercise_as_it_relates_to_Disease/Bradycardia_in_athletes#:~:text=Sinus Bradycardia can also be,giving them the bradycardia diagnosis.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Its insanely complex, once saw a diagram of around 1000 factors, lots of which were not very well known.

I've had a few periods with too high blood pressure, but by working with the situation on all levels I brought it down ????

Now I've got a spike again after doing a strict ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting and 2-3 days fasting, somehow that brings it up for a while....

BUT: what is the main cause these days is stress and tension in the lower abdomen I think, mainly due to getting these visa issues fixed!

Fortunately the doctors here are still sane and agree to monitoring it only for a while, back in Norway the automatically insist on pushing drugs - its even in their manual that the are NOT allowed to deviate from...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You could just take with you on next visit to doctor and check against a manual reading there - do not believe any of the sellers do that for consumer units but you could check with the maker if major brand to check.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 5:26 AM, simon43 said:

It's only considered 'normal' for someone who is unhealthy.......  I'm close on 62 years old and my BP is 110/70 and resting heart rate is 45-50 bpm, all because I exercise and eat a healthy diet.

Live in the fast lane, drink alcohol and eat unhealthy food sometimes :smile:

Recently I have been taking my bp cuff measurements lying on my bed. It allows me more time to 'settle' myself before taking the measurement. I have found that readings are more consistent between right and left arms, and also more repeatable, maybe because I am not getting impatient as I would in a sitting position.

Are lying down bp measurements as valid as sitting measurements? Hope so because I get slightly lower and more consistent results.

21 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Are lying down bp measurements as valid as sitting measurements? Hope so because I get slightly lower and more consistent results.

That is normally how a doctor takes it in my experience - and how it is often taken in a hospital.

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Does anybody know where I can get a home Blood Pressure monitor calibrated ?

Send it back to the manufacture and pay for them to do it.

Because your blood pressure monitor works automatically, it will need to be re-calibrated at least once every two years to be sure it is giving you accurate results. To have your automatic home monitor re-calibrated, you will need to send it back to the manufacturer.

I bought it years ago in Boots Thailand , made in England. 

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new one.

On the other hand there might not be anything wrong with it.

Just sort of need it checking.