Tourist visas 31st July, what do you think will happen?

Tourist visas 31st July, what do you think will happen?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My Thai fiancee and I will be split up for months if I were to leave and as nobody knows for sure for a bit of fun, what do you think the options for those of us here on Tourist Visas will be prior to 31st July?

14 hours ago, jbob said:

My Thai fiancee and I will be split up for months if I were to leave and as nobody knows for sure for a bit of fun, what do you think the options for those of us here on Tourist Visas will be prior to 31st July?

Find a flight and leave, or after 31st go onto overstay with all of its attendant risks.

There's a lot of stupidity being talked!! There was an emergency decree announced, that included an amnesty on expired visas which included VOA & TR for the purpose of this thread. Through social media, commenters seem to have extrapolated that into some sort of a special Covid-19 extension. It's not anything of the sort. Look around you; you are in Thailand, so read between the lines. 1."Aww but I don't want to go". Who are they? Two year olds or just self entitled idiots 2. "The government didn't say we have to go". Tough for number one; a lot of us felt like that years ago, but we went home, made arrangements and came back. 2. No they didn't say it openly. That would make them lose face, telling people openly; to leave. What they did was give expired visa holders a chance to make a rational decision and leave of their own volition. Not only once, but twice through the second extension to 31 July. Will they extend it again? Who on here could possibly answer that question. If they don't and the decree and amnesty is lifted enjoy jumping through whatever hoops are set before you all; we've all had to, and be prepared to pay overstay fines. For those who deliberately overstay, enjoy being homeless, because checking in anywhere will more than likely see you picked up in the morning. If that happens; enjoy your stay in the IDC. It'll be a really great story of the great Covid pandemic of 2020 to tell your grandkids about. Stay safe everyone; choose wisely. TIT

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

overstay is for sure a risk, but for many the risk of catching covid or relationship breakdown is greater. So what are the penalties?

Overstay less than 90 Days = 500 Thai baht/day overstay fine (maximum 20,000 Thai baht)
Overstay more than 90 Days = 1 year ban from Thailand and 20,000 Thai baht overstay fine
Overstay more than 1 Year = 3 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 Thai baht overstay fine
Overstay more than 3 Years = 5 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 baht overstay fine
Overstay more than 5 Years = 10 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 baht overstay fine

1-40 days are bad @ 500b a day, 41-89 same 20,000b fine as day 40, 90+ 1 year ban

also beware you will not be able to apply for Elite Visa if you overstay possibly others

we are adults, and capable of making responsible decisions. all decisions have costs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

I think a sensible option to put this to bed is to grant a new covid visa for anyone who can stump up:

30k -1 year extension no questions asked just pay and report every 3 months.

20k - 6 months terms as above

The IO teams would then have a birds eye view of a limited catchment of farang and they could use their time and resources to evaluate the visitors accordingly.

Why not try something different as this year and maybe next year it's gonna be stale so be a good time start exploring possible ways of attracting more tourists with a new focus being long termers for any reason whatsoever. 

I would take this for sure, then sign a 1 year lease on a condo.

Very surprised by the poll results. Was 90% amnesty extension, then 45% now 65%. Immigration doesn't owe anyone anything but an additional option or 2 given the once in 100 year situation would be nice.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, ubonjoe said:

Overstaying is risky if you are caught while on an overstay of even one day you can be detained, deported and banned from entering the country for 5 years. The fine is 500 baht per day up to a maximum of 20k baht.

From the immigration website.

image.png.b46578580bc9986812d20276ce4463ee.png

There will be other options to stay if the amnesty ends. One option may be a 30 day extension with a letter from you embassy.

I think they amnesty will be extended if border crossings are closed. At this it does appear they probably will still be closed at the end of this month.

12 hours ago, jbob said:

overstay is for sure a risk, but for many the risk of catching covid or relationship breakdown is greater. So what are the penalties?

Overstay less than 90 Days = 500 Thai baht/day overstay fine (maximum 20,000 Thai baht)
Overstay more than 90 Days = 1 year ban from Thailand and 20,000 Thai baht overstay fine
Overstay more than 1 Year = 3 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 Thai baht overstay fine
Overstay more than 3 Years = 5 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 baht overstay fine
Overstay more than 5 Years = 10 years ban from Thailand and 20,000 baht overstay fine

1-40 days are bad @ 500b a day, 41-89 same 20,000b fine as day 40, 90+ 1 year ban

also beware you will not be able to apply for Elite Visa if you overstay possibly others

we are adults, and capable of making responsible decisions. all decisions have costs

Your post should contain a Forum warning as your not posting all the information relating to overstay such as what happens if you are stopped during overstay period

Overstaying is risky if you are caught while on an overstay of even one day you can be detained, deported and banned from entering the country for 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, jonga80 said:

If they are not going to extend the amnesty, they should have announced it weeks ago, to give foreigners enough time, it's very easy, yes or no? But we know they are a lot of close minded people in the government.

You can also reverse this argument: in principle the amnesty would end 31/7 so no announcement means it will not be extended. Why should there be an extra announcement to confirm this?

Lots of people here claiming that they 'know' that the amnesty will be extended 'for sure', but it would be more sensible to make plans assuming there is no extension.  

Deliberately overstaying as suggested by some is not a hot idea. If you are caught you are in serious trouble and it would not surprise me if they will check on people who were supposed to have left by a certain date (maybe 31/7) if they can find you.