What's a good secondhand car around 250k?

Need to check the mileage, tires, damage, condition and if there are any records of regular scheduled maintenance. If the interior is spotless that is usually a good sign someone took care of the car.

Here in the US, from 1996 on, there is an ODB port under the steering wheel that you can plug an ODB reader in and it will tell you what is wrong with many things with the car.

No sure if Thai cars have this 0DB port.

Edited by bwpage3

3 hours ago, leonardjones625 said:

Almera

I owned 2 of them, and drove about 200.000 km with each of them without problems. And I often skipped maintenance.  These cars are indestructible.  

• Haha 1

process of elimination;

manufacturer with track record of  (relative) quality; Toyota or Honda

vehicles that are easier to service: ease of access to components, dealer network where you live and travel

safety rating;  compact, not subcompact

I wouldn't touch a mazda or nissan product if I had the option of  Honda or Toyota.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, bert bloggs said:

One thats had regular servicing ,so that  leaves out one hell of a lot of Thai owned cars.

As 99% of cars in Thailand are owned by Thais and Thai dealer servicing departments are always busy what are the chances of finding anything that doesn't have a Thai owner or hasn't had the required maintenance?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, bwpage3 said:

Here in the US, from 1996 on, there is an ODB port under the steering wheel that you can plug an ODB reader in and it will tell you what is wrong with many things with the car.

No sure if Thai cars have this 0DB port.

What are the chances that a Thaivisa reader asking about the viability of buying at the lowest end of the market will have the access and ability to use, never mind interpret, the output of an OBD reader?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2020 at 11:11 PM, dimitriv said:

I owned 2 of them, and drove about 200.000 km with each of them without problems. And I often skipped maintenance.  These cars are indestructible.  

There's a good reason not to choose a foreigner-owned car if you want one that's had proper maintenance!

• Like 2

Well I have a 2013 Nissan Almera , great car , very good on fuel , done 140k , but now have problem with CVT Transmission , looked it up on the internet and results say CVT Transmissions gearbox normally last between 5-7 , so I will not not change or buy another car with CVT.  Would be interested in any other comments about CVT Transmission 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mazda 2 should be doable. I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.6 S (same car) with about 70K on the clock. I recently bought a new truck...the dealership only offered me 200,000 for the Ford, so I said I would prefer to keep it as a second car. 

2 hours ago, luckyscruff said:

Well I have a 2013 Nissan Almera , great car , very good on fuel , done 140k , but now have problem with CVT Transmission , looked it up on the internet and results say CVT Transmissions gearbox normally last between 5-7 , so I will not not change or buy another car with CVT.  Would be interested in any other comments about CVT Transmission 

I think the big problem now is if you want an auto most makes are CVT, in fact ford had a class action brought against them for their CVT transmissions fitted to fieste

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think the big problem now is if you want an auto most makes are CVT, in fact ford had a class action brought against them for their CVT transmissions fitted to fieste

That was Ford, never heard of a real big problem with any other brand CVT. My own CVT ride is now near 6 years old, nooooo ploblems....????

Even most two wheel scoots have had CVT for years, doesn't seem to be any real ploblems with those either.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The transmissions that were problematic for Ford were dual-clutch automatics, not CVTs.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, barry553 said:

Mazda 2. It's ok if you are on the small side. I am 180 cm and not fat but felt far too cramped. I bought a Ciaz because it was big for the price. If you run on 95 fuel it has decent power for daily driving.

"If you run on 95 fuel it has decent power for daily driving".

95 fuel octane rating doesn't give an engine any significant or noticeable power advantage over lower octane fuel.

3 hours ago, luckyscruff said:

Nissan cvt's have a reputation...even the new 2.0 teana/xtrail box has problems. The first repair is dont by nussan, but if it breaks again you are out 300K to replace it. The new honda boxes seem fine. I've been told of the suzuki swift going well over 300K kms on a cvt that is well maintained. So not all are rubbish. On you can by a mazda with a normal 6 speed auto. One should get a minimum of 10 years out of a cvt driven properly and maintained - and probably a lot more. 

52 minutes ago, transam said:

That was Ford, never heard of a real big problem with any other brand CVT. My own CVT ride is now near 6 years old, nooooo ploblems....????

Even most two wheel scoots have had CVT for years, doesn't seem to be any real ploblems with those either.. 

CVT's are fine, when well maintained. Some even mimic a regular auto, like the one in the civic turbo. So one can drive it fast without the engine screaming its nads off. They do have a lower torque tolerance though than a normal auto or mt, so they can't support a heavily modified engine for very long.