U.S. appeals court says first federal execution in 17 years can proceed on Monday

webfact

U.S. appeals court says first federal execution in 17 years can proceed on Monday

2020-07-12T232300Z_1_LYNXNPEG6B0IB_RTROPTP_4_USA-EXECUTIONS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A correction officer keeps watch from a tower at The Federal Corrections Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana, U.S., May 22, 2019. REUTERS/Bryan Woolston

(Reuters) - The first federal execution in 17 years is set to go ahead on Monday after a U.S. appeals court overturned a lower court injunction, saying a lawsuit by the victims' family that had put the execution on hold had no legal standing.

Daniel Lewis Lee, convicted of killing three members of an Arkansas family in 1996, is due to be put to death by lethal injection at the U.S. Justice Department's execution chamber in Terre Haute, Indiana.

His execution had been blocked on Friday by a federal judge after some of the victims' relatives sued, saying they feared that attending could expose them to COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

The lawsuit filed against the Justice Department in federal court in Indianapolis sought to block the execution until the pandemic had passed. U.S. District Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson ordered the department to delay the execution until it could show it was upholding the plaintiffs' right to attend the execution without risking their health.

The government appealed and on Sunday, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the injunction, saying no federal statute or regulation gave the victims the right to attend the execution.

Lee's scheduled death is one of four federal executions that had been scheduled for July and August. All four men had been convicted of killing children.

(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; Writing by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-13

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Believe he is one of four men convicted for these crimes. Think all four got the death penalty, and are scheduled to be executed this month.

Federal executions scheduled for 4 men convicted of killing children

Those scheduled to be executed include; Daniel Lewis Lee, Wesley Ira Purkey, Dustin Lee Honken and Keith Dwayne Nelson.

Lee, a white supremacist, killed a family of three — including an eight-year-old girl, the DOJ said.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/15/feds-schedule-execution-for-four-men-convicted-of-killing-kids/

The length of time between conviction and execution in the USA is astonishing. To delay the execution for years seems to be standard and I often wonder why this should happen. 
This latest plea is at the least facetious and how a Lawyer could propose it is laughable, but I suppose that is his job, next they will be claiming he is afraid of needles so it is cruel and unjust punishment.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The first federal execution in 17 years is set to go ahead

For those who say the death penalty is no deterrent.  No it is not when you have not had an execution in 17 years.  I suggest you look at Singapore.  They have very low crime but if you are convicted of a serious offense, you will be executed and in weeks not years. 

They sued because co vid would prevent them from watching it happen? I get it that they are allowed to witness it. However that level of... hmmm. that sort of... that's just sort of pathetic. 

Also the post above me seems to say the USA hasn't had an execution in 17 years. There have been tons just not at the federal level. 

15 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Ah, real justice. No group hugs and tete a tetes with hairy community workers under this administration. Thanks to Mr Law and Order himself, Donald J Trump.

In the course of time  you may need  consider  distancing  yourself  from such adulation.

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Before you judge, take a look at Iran " Man executed for drinking alcohol is one of 123 executions in Iran in 2020"... "A child convict on death row was also killed after he was severely beaten by prison security officials, however, this death was not recorded among the executions"...

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/man-executed-for-drinking-alcohol-is-one-of-123-executions-in-iran-in-2020-634611

Jeez bloody ..... The US has sunk that low that comparisons with the sickos of the world are relevant? Or its probably not questionable anymore and I should have said the US has sunk that low that comparison with the sickos of the world are justified.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PJPom said:

The length of time between conviction and execution in the USA is astonishing. To delay the execution for years seems to be standard and I often wonder why this should happen. 
This latest plea is at the least facetious and how a Lawyer could propose it is laughable, but I suppose that is his job, next they will be claiming he is afraid of needles so it is cruel and unjust punishment.

Seems Thailand is similar in the case of the Burmese two on death row now for 6 years, and counting!

<deleted> barbarians! Not at the gates but running the asylum. Just vengeance, not justice... Officialdom has blood on its hands every step of the way. Let's murder murderers! And the families of the victims want to watch! No wonder the US is suffering a righteous plague.

Edited by unblocktheplanet
addition