What is Baclofen?

Baclofen is a drug to treat muscle spasticity that has been around for over 50 years and has been well studied. It is safe to use long term provided your kidneys are healthy.

Baclofen's use for alcoholism was developed by Olivier Ameisen a french cardiologist who was a severe alcoholic. He wrote a book about Baclofen, The End of my Addiction. There is also a support forum.

Baclofen does work in my experience and has worked for millions of people in Europe and Australia to get them stop drinking. Baclofen functions by replacing alcohol, GabaA receptors instead of GabaB receptors. Baclofen is not without side effects but in comparison to alcohol they are very minor.

How to start taking Baclofen?

The first place to start is by reading the best web site on Baclofen for alcoholism, written by a doctor in Australia. Baclofen Treatment.

Method #1 (worked for me)

Decide to stop drinking. Take 10mg of Baclofen every hour starting about 9am or 10am. Take no more than 60-80mg. Around 60-80mg you should be feeling the effects and no longer be craving alcohol. Baclofen has also been studied for use for withdrawal.

Note: the first time and for the first 6-8 weeks, the side effects will more noticeable and annoying but over time they will dissipate. You will probably feel dizzy and wanting to go to sleep when you take it. It is important not to take too much too quickly. You need to find the right dose for you. Not too little or it will not work.

Method #2 ( as written in Baclofentreatment.com )

Start 10-20 mg per day. Continue drinking as usual then increase 10mg a day to functioning dose of 70-80mg per day. You should naturally give up alcohol this way as the dose increases.

So the idea is that you take Baclofen everyday instead of alcohol. I noticed that every month or six weeks I would still crave alcohol and allow myself a beer or two. I always found that after a couple of drinks I would not want any more. You can also take less Baclofen say 40-60mg then go out and have a beer or two with friends then take the last 10-20mg when you are finished.

After approximately 4 years of non drinking you body will "reset." It did for me. One day I just noticed I no longer craved alcohol. Then you can get off of Baclofen.

What warning are there when taking Baclofen?

Caveat: This is not medical advice, I am only providing information. You should speak to a doctor before starting to take any medicine such as Baclofen.

Caveat: Some people (a small number, rare occurrence) have had bad side effects from Baclofen (psychosis)

Caveat: Baclofen can not be stopped abruptly after taking it for long period of time. Withdrawals can be as severe as alcohol. It must be reduces very slowly. 5 mg every few days.

Where to get Baclofen in Thailand?

The best generic product is called Liobac (400 baht @200, 10mg tabs) and the best place to buy it is The Diamond Pharmacy in Bangkok.

Another option is ordering from China. Is much cheaper. 100 grams will last 3 years.

How will i know if Baclofen will work for me?

I suggest you try 10-20 mg and you will get an idea if it will work or not. For me I knew right away that it would.

Where can i get more information on Baclofen?

As mention www.baclofentreatment.com has all the info and can explain better than me. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Treating an addiction with an addictive drug doesn't make sense to me and didn't work for me in the long-term, not with this one but with Diazepam.  

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Treating an addiction with an addictive drug doesn't make sense to me and didn't work for me in the long-term, not with this one but with Diazepam.  

Baclofen is not a benzo type drug. It is not a depressant.

Baclofen is also not addictive. You will take the same dose day after day.

The point here is that you will replace alcohol with baclofen and the side effects will much much less. It is amazing that is works so well.

Side effects of alcohol are numerous: damage to your brain or liver, depression, stomach problems, mental problem, addiction etc. Baclofen doesn't have any of that.

21 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Baclofen is not a benzo type drug. It is not a depressant.

Baclofen is also not addictive. You will take the same dose day after day.

The point here is that you will replace alcohol with baclofen and the side effects will much much less. It is amazing that is works so well.

Side effects of alcohol are numerous: damage to your brain or liver, depression, stomach problems, mental problem, addiction etc. Baclofen doesn't have any of that.

Ok, I wish you all the best. Can you stop taking it when cravings have gone? 

It takes about 4 years to reset from alcohol. So, after that you can taper off the baclofen.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Ok, I wish you all the best. Can you stop taking it when cravings have gone? 

• Like 1