Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think i throw around more then most but still its nothing compared to the total economy. Its just delusional to think we make a huge impact. It shows how important some people feel they are and the entitlement. If you crunch the numbers you will quickly see there is no truth in it in reality. 

Not going to crunch the numbers again as it will never convince anyone as the people posting here are not known for being open minded or good with numbers. 

The overall economy wouldn't be effected, but many lives would. I know most have ole lady's that take care of all there own expenses. But if 100,000 have ole ladies that don't contribute money, you can be guaranteed some money makes its way to her family from each of the 100,000. I can see 4 people being effected if the money stops, that's 400,000 people who will feel the effects of zero farang money. While it won't be catastrophic I can see some sad tales if all farang leave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I don't know about that. Those Issan gals with many foreigner boyfriends and husband support a lot of family members that probably is more than half of the country.

Looks like you only know hookers if you think they are representing more than half of the country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If I understand this right, more people agree to a travel bubble without quarantine than to foreigners coming in with quarantine.

This makes no sense. You can influence the outcome of a poll by asking the right (or wrong) questions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A clear majority of people don't have confidence in the government's ability to handle having foreigners back.

It is the lack of trust in the regime government and perhaps Ai Anutin and their dissemination of false information.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, transam said:

Give me the numbers you seem to think are not important....?

Every corner of LOS has hotels, bars, eateries etc, where many folk from these establishments have lost their jobs, many working away from home do it to feed their families, they can't do that now.

This country has no social security, no unemployment benefits, but you think it's a minority.

Oh well......????

Ah there we go again Trans, shooting your mouth off without any data to back it up. 

GDP on tourism is  no more then 20%. So yes that is a minority. Just look it up in the dictionary you might learn something 50% or more is a majority. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Myran said:

The irony of some comments here, calling Thais xenophobic and this and that, all the while tarring every Thai person with the same brush and acting the victim. Given the amount of deaths from Covid-19 in some countries, they are absolutely right in being very cautious with opening up.

Some seem to be very eager to point out that the xenophobic Thais hate and always blame foreigners, but you don't hesitate to always blame Thais in every situation imaginable yourselves, making you just as bad as you claim them to be.

I honestly don't understand what some people are doing here if they hate the country and Thai people so much. You'll get the same weather, cheap prices and pretty girls in countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, the Philippines, etc., so why not move there if Thailand and Thais are treating you so horribly?

Great post, too bad there are not many who see it like us. Just a few but at least that is more then none. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another poll inciting xenophobia !

Inciting or indicating?! ????

I don't know, man. If these numbers reflect the truth, do you folks think it is due to increased xenophobia or due to sincere health worries?! 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ah there we go again Trans, shooting your mouth off without any data to back it up. 

GDP on tourism is  no more then 20%. So yes that is a minority. Just look it up in the dictionary you might learn something 50% or more is a majority. 

Unfortunately your quoted GDP is for those that report income from Tourism.  You need to remember that many in the tourism industry are paid under the table and it never gets reported.  Hand to mouth people, daily wage earners etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately your quoted GDP is for those that report income from Tourism.  You need to remember that many in the tourism industry are paid under the table and it never gets reported.  Hand to mouth people, daily wage earners etc.

You forget that it goes for other work too.. so that cancels each-other out. But even so it will not be 50% of the economy and never a majority so Trans is wrong. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

You don't understand my post, so back off the insults....

Plus, I don't give a flush about your percentages, that is your accountancy employment, your job. I am interested in PEOPLE around the country struggling, not you BKK bound hi-so's that can't see further than their own nose and wallet....Good grief......????  

No Trans you don't give about facts, numbers and correct words. Like what majority means. What did they teach you at school ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You forget that it goes for other work too.. so that cancels each-other out. But even so it will not be 50% of the economy and never a majority so Trans is wrong. 

I never said anything about 50% or any %......Get a grip man..????

• Thanks 1

No Trans you don't give about facts, numbers and correct words. Like what majority means. What did they teach you at school ?

What on earth are you on about. Have you lost it......????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, transam said:

Give me the numbers you seem to think are not important....?

Every corner of LOS has hotels, bars, eateries etc, where many folk from these establishments have lost their jobs, many working away from home do it to feed their families, they can't do that now.

This country has no social security, no unemployment benefits, but you think it's a minority.

Oh well......????

Here are you disputing that something is a minority. So the opposite of a minority is majority. A majority is above 50%.

It really is not that difficult Trans. Basic stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here are you disputing that something is a minority. So the opposite of a minority is majority. A majority is above 50%.

It really is not that difficult Trans. Basic stuff. 

So you think my word "MINORITY" relates to a %.......????.........Try leaving your job at the office when posting and have a spliff....????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

So you think my word "MINORITY" relates to a %.......????.........Try leaving your job at the office when posting and have a spliff....????

Wow your even less educated then I thought.  I give up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

More than half didn’t want foreigners here in the first place 

Yes, the half that don't have much to do with the tourist business and with no ability to understand economics. Try such a poll in Pattaya or Phuket and see what the number are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I am interested in PEOPLE around the country struggling, not you BKK bound hi-so's that can't see further than their own nose and wallet

Posters views on the Thai economy, those  who live amongst the upcountry rural poor, amongst people who can't even qualify for a 10,000 baht line of credit on a store card, usually tell us that everyone is starving and the economy close to collapse.

The views of posters living in western expat enclaves such as Pattaya will argue that the entire country is ready for economic collapse, just because the beer bars, ago go's and ladies of Beach Road are not doing business.

Listening to the views of middle class Thais' and others who live in Bangkok may actually be a useful measure, simply because they don't have an axe to grind!

It's like posters views on the strength of the Baht, those that are getting squeezed. Those on fixed income who have seen their incomes fall tell us that a strong Baht is bad for exports and the economy will be decimated unless the currency is weakened....you rarely hear that story from expats who are earning Baht or who have Baht assets.

Consider the source.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another poll inciting xenophobia !

no.  another clickbait headline misrepresenting the results.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A clear majority of people don't have confidence in the government's ability to handle having foreigners back.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Questioned about their confidence in the Thai government to handle the situation of having foreigners back in only 15.43% expressed great confidence. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

Great post, too bad there are not many who see it like us. Just a few but at least that is more then none. 

Will do as soon as I can get back in to pack up and leave.... And that doesn't seem to be possible anytime soon .... Already out for 4 months and can't wait to get back and pack up and leave ASAP...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I bet some Thais think

Why not just train the farang to climb the trees and pick coconuts......No more monkey cruelty and the farang can finally be useful...

If I thought I could do it without a work permit, Id give it a shot

• Haha 1