Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

11 minutes ago, annabel said:

Will do as soon as I can get back in to pack up and leave.... And that doesn't seem to be possible anytime soon .... Already out for 4 months and can't wait to get back and pack up and leave ASAP...

Im pretty sure its quite frustrating to be stuck outside and your stuff in Thailand. I seen it from close up many people I know from SG are stuck there now instead of their job in Thailand. Your not alone.  Though most made the gamble knowingly. (i doubt anyone thought it last this long)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

One day you have 40 mln visitors per year and then you have 0. You don’t need to consider any source to understand that this will represent a huge hit to the economy.

If you think the economy is almost totally dependent on tourism then yes you do, you have to understand that part first and most people don't. You in particular may wish to read post 209 and do the math.

Edited by Trillian

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i understand how you feel but this is one of the many ThiaVisa myths that keeps getting repeated.

there are only 200,000 farangs in the country. the population of Thailand is 66 million. 

yes we do contribute each in our own way and i am sure it is important for our friends and family but it has hardly any affect on the overall Thai economy.    

Yes a big part of it was in jest, but on a different serious side that is why I mentioned boyfriends. I have known many of gals that had seasonal visiting well planned and managed boyfriends with some gals having visiting husbands. Quite the revolving door for quite so many. So you add the actual foreigner inside of Thailand and it makes quite a lot in a lot of different modes of spending. Everything adds to the economy, especially visiting foreigners, foreign companies, Thai supported by foreigners and local spending by the foreigners. We just are not talking what the government takes in or the wealthy Thai business and factory owners. If you axe out all of the foreigners then axe out all the foreign investment in all types and ways and it becomes substantial. 

I bet you alone are a pillar in the Thai bar girl support world just yourself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

But they need the jobs/income....

Do I smell Chinese influence?

Maybe it is time to be very careful going out, maybe it is time to invest time in checking out where to flee to.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1

Just now, transam said:

I don't think that the economy is dependent on tourism, but hundreds of thousands of Thai folks jobs are, and not only from tourists. There is no weekly cash hand outs for those now unemployed.

They are stuffed. If LOS did have a social security system then the powers that be would be in turmoil over paying out, but they haven't got any social back up, so folk are left to fend for themselves, some how...????

There are cash handouts for those that are unemployed unless they are offered a job and they don't refuse it.

But to qualify for participation in that system a person must be part of the formal employment sector, i.e. they are paying social security or their employer is/was. The problem is that as much as 50% of the workforce participates in the informal sector which means they don't pay social security and they never pay tax. A worker can't expect benefits in the bad times when they don't pay into the system in the good times.

Here's two reports that discuss the distribution of labour in Thailand, one is ten years old but the picture it provides is still applicable today. The BOT report is more current:

https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---asia/---ro-bangkok/documents/publication/wcms_205099.pdf (see 6.7 for discussion on the above)

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=638&language=eng (note the up to date numbers of employed people per sector)

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Looks like you only know hookers if you think they are representing more than half of the country.

Frits, it was a loose joke. But if you want to really know, I know every walk of life in Thailand be it from factory owners to the hooker bar girl as you put it to the in-between middle class Thai and then some. Not sure who you hang around.

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

If a strategy of eradication is pursued then logically inward travel is simply not possible; there isn't any other alternative!   The Government has made its choice and broadly speaking most Thais agree.

Even if international tourism accounts for just 11% of Thai GDP, it's just not possible for the overall economy not to be severely effected.  Tourism, moreover employed upwards of 5 million people.  There is also the multiplier effect to be considered.  Supposing tourism is discounted, the rest of the economy still has severe economic challenges as with most other countries.  The ramifications both in terms of economics and human mortality can not be under estimated.  Nobody knows just how bad things will get, so it's pointless making biblical size predictions, but it would also be an error to dismiss the looming economic crisis as either manageable or benign relative to covid19 deaths imo.  

A good and fair assessment that I agree with. But if international tourism is 11.5% of GDP and GDP is slated to fall by up to 10% this year (currently estimated at 8.5%) that fall includes losses in all sectors of the economy, not just in tourism, that means tourism is still producing some revenue and must by definition continue to do so.

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im pretty sure its quite frustrating to be stuck outside and your stuff in Thailand. I seen it from close up many people I know from SG are stuck there now instead of their job in Thailand. Your not alone.  Though most made the gamble knowingly. (i doubt anyone thought it last this long)

There are also people who had to work outside Thailand. Not a gamble, just the need to earn money.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Berti said:

There are also people who had to work outside Thailand. Not a gamble, just the need to earn money.

Then too bad for those people, you can please everyone. If they are married they can still come back. But they have to go through quarantine and that is for many too hard to do. So yea tough luck but I don't see how else it can be done. If they require Thais to quarantine then its normal to do the same for foreigners.

Maybe those who had to work could work longer and then take a longer holiday (to see their family) in Thailand. That is if work permits it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Then too bad for those people, you can please everyone. If they are married they can still come back.

And if not? Is online marriage allowed in Thailand? (sarcasm).

Of course many countries are very restrictive and at the same time managing this whole quarantine thing very bad and slowly.

Thailand is making progress here and I hope it will be easier in 1-2 months to get in WITH quarantine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I bet some Thais think

Why not just train the farang to climb the trees and pick coconuts......No more monkey cruelty and the farang can finally be useful...

a good one !!! love it !!!

????????????????????

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another poll inciting xenophobia !

Nothing to do with that, if I would have stayed in Thailand, I would have said the same, If there would be another outbreak, Thailand would risk more problems, not enough medical personnel and perhaps another economic crisis.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Berti said:

And if not? Is online marriage allowed in Thailand? (sarcasm).

Of course many countries are very restrictive and at the same time managing this whole quarantine thing very bad and slowly.

Thailand is making progress here and I hope it will be easier in 1-2 months to get in WITH quarantine.

Your not the only one might not see my parents this year because of this. But I dont think that Thailand should open up the borders without quarantine currently. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many reliable sources state tourism is closer to 20% of GDP, if you take into account all of the related industries. Those are the very industries getting decimated right now. Just got back from a trip to Bangkok. It is shocking how many businesses have either closed, or are barely clinging on, on life support. 

It is closer to 20%, the combination of international tourism at 11.5% and domestic tourism at 7.5% makes 19%. And when the USD/THB is above 32 it is 20%.

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many reliable sources state tourism is closer to 20% of GDP, if you take into account all of the related industries. Those are the very industries getting decimated right now. Just got back from a trip to Bangkok. It is shocking how many businesses have either closed, or are barely clinging on, on life support. 

Yes the oft quoted figure of 11% refers to international tourism and is in any case widely regarded as an underestimate.  And yes, the loss of tourism which is huge, may have a crippling effect on other sectors too.

• Like 1