Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

Strange, that there is never any connection (in the Thai mind) between the presence of foreigners and the amount of money that we pump into the economy. Most of them do not have to deal with us on a regular basis. The only ones that do, are employed in industries that serve a mainly non-Thai clientele. Do they think we are just going to write them a check and stay home? The lack of logic in Thai thinking is always at the forefront.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry, but I consider that to be a rather ridiculous and borderline racist generalization.

First of all, it is only a relatively small percentage of rural folks who sleep on the floor these days. I have been to many farms in the provinces and they nearly all have mattresses or beds. 

Second, alot of Thai people are not nearly as hateful and ignorant as you claim. 

Lastly, once you experience comfort and decent income it is hard to give it up. I agree that many Thais are capable of living on little income. However, that does not mean they prefer that. 

Foreign tourists and many of us ex-pats bring alot of cash to the table, and contribute in countless ways. Most of us are honorable and respectful of the locals. And most Thais treat me with either indifference or warmth. Certainly not the racist disdain you refer to. A rather myopic and sad perspective on this lovely nation and it's wonderful people. 

When you visit someone's home do you say "May I please see your bed?" Do they offer to show you their bed? How does that work because I've been to several homes in Isaan and can't recall their beds, I've seen their bathrooms though...

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

A good and fair assessment that I agree with. But if international tourism is 11.5% of GDP and GDP is slated to fall by up to 10% this year (currently estimated at 8.5%) that fall includes losses in all sectors of the economy, not just in tourism, that means tourism is still producing some revenue and must by definition continue to do so.

GDP fall by 10%? 

I know you're paid to talk up the Thai economy but at least be slightly realistic or you'll lose all credibility. They could easily lose 10% on tourism alone when you include domestic travel as well as international. I have several expat friends working in manufacturing businesses (large multinationals) in Bangkok and all say that sales (exports in particular) are down between 15% and 30% for Q2. Exports make up a huge % of GDP for Thailand.

10%? You're having a laugh.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Guderian said:

How many of the people asked were actually involved in the tourism industry?

Let me guess...less than half

What this survey DOES show is that almost 50% of the Thais are dependent on tourism in some way or another and want the tourists back with all the health risks involved. Those are huge numbers to be ignored.

For this question 23.1% strongly agreed with letting them in, 21.58% quite agreed, 13.91% said they were not sure if it was safe to do that and 41.41% said "no" to the idea fearing a second wave of infections. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

It amazes me the different Thailand some of you live in to me. I have been here  15 years and I really dont feel the dislike directed toward me that some of you are moaning about. Maybe its because I dont live in a heavily touristed area?? b*gger me....a Thai survey is taken where some Thais say they dont want 'foreigners' back yet....meaning ANYONE that is not Thai (from Albanians to Zimbabweans) ....the immediate reaction by a lot of the paranoid here is that they specifically mean FARANG.....that, shows the level of your insecurity.

I agree with them. I think Thailand needs to be careful. I think those with families etc should be allowed in with all the right precautions taken. Just because there are some dinosaurs in power that dont like farang doesnt mean that mindset is  across the board, far from it, I feel younger people are a lot more tolerant and interested in the outside world. Infact, if  I am courteous I am generally treated well by most and I do mean MOST  Thai people. Why is it so different for some here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Frits, it was a loose joke. But if you want to really know, I know every walk of life in Thailand be it from factory owners to the hooker bar girl as you put it to the in-between middle class Thai and then some. Not sure who you hang around.

Know all walks of life too ????

6 hours ago, anchadian said:

If it's not a poll, it's a survey.

Unbelievable.

and a statistically useless survey. 1251 people out of a population of 69 million. anybody taking any credence in these NIDA surveys are delusional

13 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

I sure this poll is true. BUT, this was the case already 50 years ago or so. The Thais would be most happy if we send them money and never show up here.

A lot of Farangs already do that

• Haha 1

Treat this with the contempt it deserves. 20 years of numerous visits and time spent there... See me getting my very first email message from the senior management of a good quality hotel chain, asking as to my welfare and when they can expect me to book and return again. Yes most Thai's can live/Exist on practically nothing in very basic standards. But Tourism and foreign investment has created many niceties that are difficult to ignore, while much missed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

I sure this poll is true. BUT, this was the case already 50 years ago or so. The Thais would be most happy if we send them money and never show up here.

I always remember when i first came here on holiday 26 years ago ,someone told me ,when you get to immigration you will see a large keg, with a sign on it  "please deposit your money here and then go home" ????

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unlike many other countries around the world who were infected with the pandemic and their economy is about to implode on itself and ruien 100' of millions of lives, Thai people, who has deep seated dislike and disdain towards all foreigners anyway, can survive on a very little money and are happy to eat rice and som tam and sleep on the floor and consume very little in a way of necessities and comfort, so no new news there... 

I wonder what the answers to the questions woulds be from the (especially) younger generation of Thais would be if they were told that the "farangs" were going to take back their mobile phones, motor bikes and Facebook access!

• Thanks 1

...since when does 'half of the Thais' have a say..well its sort of democracy, but they need to go about it a different way, rather than some journo write a story on their behalf. Where is the poll result, when was it held, who participated..it must have been secretly distributed with not one foreigner aware it was being conducted. Good ole Thailand, just keep making it up as you go along.

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

GDP fall by 10%? 

I know you're paid to talk up the Thai economy but at least be slightly realistic or you'll lose all credibility. They could easily lose 10% on tourism alone when you include domestic travel as well as international. I have several expat friends working in manufacturing businesses (large multinationals) in Bangkok and all say that sales (exports in particular) are down between 15% and 30% for Q2. Exports make up a huge % of GDP for Thailand.

10%? You're having a laugh.

As of late June 2020, BOT forecasts a drop in GDP of -8.1%

https://www.bot.or.th/English/MonetaryPolicy/MonetPolicyComittee/MPR/Pages/default.aspx

Regarding exports: Exports comprise 61% of Thai GDP, of that 61%, International Tourism represents 20%.

I find some of your personal comments objectionable, please keep them to yourself in future.

• Haha 1

I really dont think a poll of 1200 is likely to truely represent 70 million Thais. I am sure they are selective with who they ask. If they ask anyone in the tourist areas I am sure the answers would be totally different. They ask well-to-do people, mostly likely fully employed in Bangkok, or similar. Like everything else in Thailand, figures are manufactured tobsuit the government!! Dont trust them!!!