Opening up Thailand: More than half of Thais don't want foreigners back - despite 14 day quarantine, poll

webfact

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

If tourism is only 15% of the GDP then the other 85% dont need us .

Keith101, agreed, but the 85% need to export to us. Also many foreign manufacturing companies have come to Thailand, some relocating or retrenching.

6 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

The headline is misleading. More than 55% of respondents said yes to tourists in travel bubbles question for a start. 

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned

"The NIDA poll was conducted from 6th to 8th July and asked 1,251 members of the Thai public four questions under the umbrella: Should we let foreigners into Thailand or not?"

Not exactly a representative number is it?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, amdy2206 said:

So more than half dont want tourists back!! That is around 700 out of 70 million. Not a very high proportion. That is about 1 in 100,000 nowhere near half!!! Statistics can prove whatever you want them to prove!!!

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned

"The NIDA poll was conducted from 6th to 8th July and asked 1,251 members of the Thai public four questions under the umbrella: Should we let foreigners into Thailand or not?"

Not exactly a representative number is it?

Yes, around 1,000 is an ideal number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They don't want us here until they realise how much they benefited from our dollars indirectly too. It is obvious to me it is time to pack up though.

This cannot be the reason to pack up, only the last trigger.

Edited by Berti

3 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Yes, around 1,000 is an ideal number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll

Totally disagree!

10% of the population MIGHT be sufficient, but that of course is impractical

And you also have to consider WHICH 10% have been asked.

IMO, these polls or surveys are essentially meaningless.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I don’t think you appreciate the holistic position. Firstly,Any country that loses 15% of GDP has a severe economic hit and then the wider effects are not constrained only to that sector . A significant number of unemployed then don’t have money to spend in the rest of the economy as well as having to be supported economically. The global effects of the pandemic simultaneously have a negative impact on the rest of this export dependent economy. Thailand’s poor educational situation also leave it ill equipped to compete in the higher tech sector which might have replaced those jobs. Thailand’s strength and reputation has been in tourism with not as much competition in that area as say the more industrial and agricultural sectors. It will not be easily substituted.

The other 85% is in a big recession too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately if that is true then they have sealed there fate and will also be amongst the unemployed as the IO workforce can be reduced to just 15%

Yes, but would that mean we all have to travel further for the extensions we require? 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Unlike many other countries around the world who were infected with the pandemic and their economy is about to implode on itself and ruien 100' of millions of lives, Thai people, who has deep seated dislike and disdain towards all foreigners anyway, can survive on a very little money and are happy to eat rice and som tam and sleep on the floor and consume very little in a way of necessities and comfort, so no new news there... 

A majority of Thais, yes. Not the ones making decisions. And not their families. And not their friends. And not their friends, etc. Hi-So Thais are just like westerners in regards to comforts and entitlement.

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

Totally disagree!

10% of the population MIGHT be sufficient, but that of course is impractical

And you also have to consider WHICH 10% have been asked.

IMO, these polls or surveys are essentially meaningless.

The science says otherwise!

1 minute ago, Trillian said:

Do your own research if you don't believe, it's not my job to educate or convince you!

I have (always do)  - we cross-posted and therefore still disagree with you!

Edited by VBF

15 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They don't want us here until they realise how much they benefited from our dollars indirectly too. It is obvious to me it is time to pack up though.

I remember one quote from the beginning of The Beach: "Never outstay your welcome". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I must say that they are quite clever. Of course they do not want arrogant "I have money and own the world foreigners", and the virus have given them the tool to say that in another way. Not saying that all foreigners that comes to Thailand are this way, but unfortunately a great amount behaves with a very bad attitude. I do believe that´s a big part of many Thais way of looking at foreigners coming back to Thailand or not.

@Matzzon the same as thais with money you mean!

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

And with a continuation of that trend, the Thai baht could return to the last decade's exchange rate...which would make my life financially easier.

Relative to what?

9 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Up to you...I just don't happen to agree.

The site I quoted from was an organisation that actually undertakes surveys, yours are more opinions

We shall agree to differ

Some very unreasoned replies on here. I would firstly question the accuracy of a survey of 1251 people - I believe the Thai population is around 66 million.

Secondly, when they see the news from abroad, can you blame them for their fear?

Taking it that the survey is accurate, I'm not saying I agree with them but given the figures the Thai government - v - the USA for example, the fear is entirely understandable.  On top of that, they see western countries on the news where very few people are wearing masks whereas they believe that masks are a must.

I'm one of those desperate to get back but what if the tables were turned? What if there were very few infections/deaths in the UK and the virus was raging in Thailand, would I want Thai's to be allowed into the UK? No I don't think I would.

The puzzling thing is that the answers are despite the fact that visitors have to undergo quarantine - that I can't work out.

Edited by KhaoYai