It’s just too risky to allow foreign tourists to visit Thailand, says top Thai doctor

webfact

30 minutes ago, innosiem said:

i do not know anyone that knows a single person that has got "the virus" let alone died because of it (here, back home or anywhere)

The news this morning said there about 7000 people currently hospitalized in Florida with coronavirus...and that number and the associated deaths from it there are growing daily.

Do you want to stay in a place that has ignored and failed to control the virus and has spiraling sickness and death numbers because they wanted to reopen their economy too soon?

Or do you want to live in a place that, for whatever reasons including closing its borders and banning international air arrivals, has managed thus far to keep its numbers very low, and hasn't had mass illnesses and deaths?  I know which I would, and have, chosen.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You can't win against a highly contagious virus, at best you can delay it.

The purpose is to tamp down the outbreak and limit its spread and severity until a vaccine solution hopefully is found.  The alternative of doing nothing pretty much gets you where the U.S. is right now.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

Wonder where Khun Doctor gets his salary from?  Not any tourism related businesses.  He also must have a steady income and probably is wealthy.  He might of well have said:
"Let average Thai people eat dirt.  Let's completely destroy the tourism sector and the people whose lives depend on it.  It won't effect me, so I don't care!!! My money keeps rolling in."
Another wealthy Thai devoid of compassion for their fellow citizens whom he looks down on being a high-status somebody.

Or could the doctor be saying that if the tourists are let back in, the infection rate and, subsequently, the death rate could climb dramatically.

The number of tourist that are currently "scheduled" to visit over the rest of this year isn't going to revive many jobs.

Employers will initially be looking to cover their fixed costs, i.e. those that are not within their control.   

The cost of staff will be within their control.   Less staff and lower remuneration !

10 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Provide a PCR test from one week before flight, another from 72 hours before flight, and get tested on landing. Chances of a sick person making it through like that are almost zero.

The incubation period for the virus can be at least two weeks and even longer in some cases. There's a reason health authorities around the world have generally settled on the two-week quarantine period.

Good luck with the testing notion. In the U.S. these days, there are shortages of tests and testing supplies in many areas and they can't even come close to testing all the people they need to test... much less doing recreational tests associated with tourism travel.

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Unfortunately for Thais farangs aren't dumb enough (well, not all of them) to send their money without ever coming to visit.

The "sponsors" do it! 

These are the farangs who send between 20,000 and 60,000 baht every month to a go-go girl in exchange for... exclusivity!!! 

Yes, I know, but this is real. 

Problem is that there are not enough of these "sponsors". 

I know one guy who has no less than 3 girls under his sponsorship program... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps a Thailand economy that's forced to shift to actually working and producing things -- instead of relying on easy mass tourism dollars that don't require a skilled or educated workforce and ends up ravaging the country's environment -- wouldn't be such a bad thing for the country in the long term. 

Sure...and of course, that will happen within a few months, and therefore mass- unemployment will be completely avoided!

:coffee1:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

It is not about bars in Pattaya getting busted. What about 100 billion dollar tourist money which will not be injected into Thai economy this year?  Do you think it will go unnoticed?

You answer your own question.The huge Thai Tourist industry does not depend on Pattaya prostitutes.

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Keep them out for a year let the unemploymen rate rocket and the baht plumet. Never mind that most people in the tourism industry will lose their jobs. Many bars and restaurants in Pattaya have already gone bankrupt so if overseas tourists don't come back probably over 60% will follow. 

let tourists back in too early, outbreak occurs and we are all back to lockdown for a month or two with many thais not in the tourist industry out of a job again....

• Like 2

I think Thailand is overreacting, as i said The Chinese shut down whole cities, provinces and yet they had outbreaks am i really ready to believe that all these cases are only from people who came from abroad and they are quarantined? What would be damage to Thai government if people would find out that virus is amongst them and spreading even with full lockdown with outside world, millions of unemployed. Do people really believe that rich elite will not be allowed to travel outside Thailand, that they will stay locked inside Thailand for over a year and they will be quarantined when they come back? I dont think so. 

Edited by NB1986

the fear mongering wins again.we have a media thats at it 24 7 ,nothing ever good and the only take things negatively so people just follow what they say,govts have been trapped in this cycle too ,govt policy has followed the MSM.where are the tourists going to come from,countries with low rates.taiwan hk,s korea malaysia and some in europe,we see tentative moves in eu to move it on.there will be clusters,case nos have gone up but india is a different case,they cant lockdown outside the cities millions will starve and USA well no masks and demos thats just not gonna work.it needs to be done soon.we can watch what happens till mid aug then unshackle somewhat,allow people with famileies here and with ret visas back in sept.quarantine at home no insurance,use some sense whooops,as for thailand being free of the virusNO,this isnt the case you must test,govt has deliberately chosen not to,its the money see the military budget and also certain people have it and its not theres.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The CV is still spreading and growing around the world.... with the U.S. being the worst but by no means the only country with growing incidence.

From Johns Hopkins July 10 COVID update:

--India reported its highest daily incidence to date, with 26,506 new cases.

--Brazil reported 42,619 new cases, its fifth highest daily incidence to date. 

--Mexico reported 7,280 new cases, its highest daily incidence to date and its first day with more than 7,000 new cases.

--Israel reported its highest and third highest daily incidence to date over the past 2 days

--Overall, the Eastern Mediterranean Region remains a global hotspot, representing 5 of the top 10 countries in terms of per capita incidence: Bahrain (#1), Oman (#2), Qatar (#5), Kuwait (#8), and Israel.

--Australia, Israel, and Japan have reported increasing COVID-19 incidence since early-to-mid June as well as multiple European countries—including Austria, Luxembourg, Iceland, and Serbia.

So, just where exactly does Thailand want to get its foreign tourists from?

The Eskimos say it's nice with ice

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The news this morning said there about 7000 people currently hospitalized in Florida with coronavirus...and that number and the associated deaths from it there are growing daily.

Do you want to stay in a place that has ignored and failed to control the virus and has spiraling sickness and death numbers because they wanted to reopen their economy too soon?

Or do you want to live in a place that, for whatever reasons including closing its borders and banning international air arrivals, has managed thus far to keep its numbers very low, and hasn't had mass illnesses and deaths?  I know which I would, and have, chosen.

FB_IMG_1594607039561.jpg

• Like 2