It’s just too risky to allow foreign tourists to visit Thailand, says top Thai doctor

webfact

1 minute ago, american2 said:

If it is too risky to allow foreign nationals to enter Thaiand  isn't it too risky to send the foreign nationals still inThailand back to their home countries.  Thailand extend their Visa's.

Hardly relevant.... one case involves people leaving a low infection country, to head to a high infection one, and returning to their country of birth or domicile. The other, is exact opposite.

Life is risky!, at the end of the day it is up to the thai authorities to make a decision not based on one doctors comments, I believe they should remain closed, there are people out there who are desperate to get into thailand and money is no object, the current restrictions should remain indefinately or at least until a cure is found., bar owners can turn their hand into farming or other productive adventures, there is always an alternative.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Life is risky!, at the end of the day it is up to the thai authorities to make a decision not based on one doctors comments, I believe they should remain closed, there are people out there who are desperate to get into thailand and money is no object, the current restrictions should remain indefinately or at least until a cure is found., bar owners can turn their hand into farming or other productive adventures, there is always an alternative.

Really are you from the issan area ask a farmer from that area how their doing. My wifes from their shes always telling me shes to lucky meeting me

Edited by Mikeasq60
revise
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Precisely, what's the point of quarantining people that just tested negative ? This is exactly what Thailand should do, test on entry, quarantine for a day, until the test results come back, unquarantine the tourists that test negative, quarantine the ones that tested postive. That way people are also not dissuaded from traveling, because if they have to go into quarantine for a full two weeks (even if they tested negative), nobody will show up. It is hardly rocket science. 

incubation period for the virus can be at least two weeks  so you just ignore people who test postive between day 2 unti day 14

daft idea 

• Like 2

Countries he referenced didnt ease restrictions, they opened the flood gates!

There's a difference between controlled entry (travel bubble!@) and doing what those countries mentioned did.

Thought a doctor would have been smarter than that..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What would be the point of sending people who test negative into quarantine? Talk about killing off tourism permanently. 

Because they can test negative on arrival and they can test postive during the next 14 days

12 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes you might, but I am guessing you would be in Thailand for a longer period of time. Most tourists don't have wives in Thailand, and stay 2-4 weeks on average, they won't waste valuable vacation time like that and go elsewhere, where they are not forced to be quarantined for two weeks. 

It is pretty simple, the amount of people willing to travel now is already considerably lower (fear, money problems), so focus on the ones that do want to travel and do not burden them with unrealistic requirements. As long as those travellers comply with social distancing rules, and wear mask wherever required, the risk isn't all that high. 

Agreed, lets keep entry easy as it was and get on with it!

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

Sweden has proved there is no Herd Immunity and their Economy has contracted regardless

And meanwhile in actual Sweden, new deaths and critical cases are down to almost zero. It's almost as-if they have herd immunity already. Oh wait, they do!

It's going to be a good summer for Swedes, being literally the only country in the world that actually beat Covid-19 already. No risk of a second wave and the world is about to open up for them once confirmed cases go to zero too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He does have a point however I think groups such as married and retired etc should be allowed to return. Yes keep the quarantine but relax some of the other requirements.

With more restrictions on the privileged.

You know I think about spending $10k for a second vasectomy reversal at Bumrungrad hospital. And the wife going through 3 IVF cycles all failed. Im older my wifes older my intent was to return to Thailand after about 3 to 4 months from Afghanistan where I work . This CV has definerly altered our plans. How's business been in Chinatown I hope terrible!

15 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

And meanwhile in actual Sweden, new deaths and critical cases are down to almost zero. It's almost as-if they have herd immunity already. Oh wait, they do!

It's going to be a good summer for Swedes, being literally the only country in the world that actually beat Covid-19 already. No risk of a second wave and the world is about to open up for them once confirmed cases go to zero too.

What did they do different than Thailand

Was this the same good Dr that early on in the pandemic declared Thailand could have up to 200,00 to 300,000  cases and deaths in their thousands? He seems to like publicity? Thailand has so far managed Covid 19 okay but not by design or government management the Health Minister maybe 1 out of 10 it is the community and hospital workers deserve the credit not the Health mandarins in Bangkok 

4 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

And it’s not just the fatalities, but more and more reports are surfacing of prolonged health issues even after mild initial symptoms and presumed recovery. 

Good point...........not to mention the burning season or seasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Perhaps a Thailand economy that's forced to shift to actually working and producing things -- instead of relying on easy mass tourism dollars that don't require a skilled or educated workforce and ends up ravaging the country's environment -- wouldn't be such a bad thing for the country in the long term. 

Agreed.