Will they accept my Thai driver's licence when taking a domestic flight?

Took

Hello!

I'm planning to take a domestic flight later this month, but

will VietJet or AirAsia accept my Thai driver's licence as ID

when I check in? Thai Lion did about half a year ago, though.

I have one more questions now. Will you still have to register

yourself on the government app for your heath condition before

flying? Or will you need any document that proves that you're

tested negative for Corona-virus and are fit to fly?

Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, Took said:

Or will you need any document that proves that you're

tested negative for Corona-virus and are fit to fly?

For domestic flight?

Absolutely not.

Temperature taken (maybe one, two, three times) and that's it.

Wearing mask mandatory of course.

I remember news from a while ago that they only accept passport for foreigners.

I'll try to find it...

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For domestic flight?

Absolutely not.

Temperature taken (maybe one, two, three times) and that's it.

Wearing mask mandatory of course.

I remember news from a while ago that they only accept passport for foreigners.

I'll try to find it...

Dear KhunBENQ,

Thank you for your info! That's exactly what I wanted!

17 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Air Asia has accepted my Thai DL as ID, one year ago, for a flight Utapao to Chiang Mai. (but I had my Passport with me in case of DL refused ???? )

Dear Pattaya46,

Thank you for your experience! That's definitely what I wanted

to know about.

When Thai Lion accepted my Thai DL as ID about a half year

ago, I had my passport with me just in case, too.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Any Government issed photo ID is usually accepted. If you check on the airline website when you book, there will be a section that covers their specific requirements.

Airlines often dont accept Pink ID as its in Thai, not the same language as the booking

Dear Peterw42,

Thanks for your info!

I'll probably fly with VietJet this time, a Vietnamese-affiliated

LCC, though.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Maybe they will, as will some hotels, but its not particularly wise to travel in Thailand, unless locally, without carrying your passport. In some circumstances (a car accident for example) you may have to produce it within 24 hours.  Not possible if it is stored several hundred kilometres away and not immediately accessible. 

Dear Pilotman,

The hotel where I stayed in BKK then asked me to show them

my passport because they needed some date like those on my

TM6 card to register me with the immigration office for TM30.

• Thanks 1

Travelling HKT-BKK (DMK) -HKT almost every Week for the last 8 Years.

Never showed anything else than my Thai DL. Multiple Airlines.

Last time was yesterday on AA.

I ordered a new passport from the Australian embassy in Bangkok they immediately cancelled my old one. Had to wait 3 weeks for the new one. My cancelled passport was not accepted by the airline but my drivers licence was OK.

• Like 1

The answer is I don’t know however I have used my Thai drivers license on many occasions such as staying at hotels I always have a copy of my passport and visa status on my mobile just in case 

Edited by crazykopite

16 minutes ago, sexyman said:

I thought it was compulsory to have a passport on you at all times in Thailand.

I have mine on my mobile stopped by police once just pulled out my phone  

and they sent me on my way with a salute and a smile ????

Edited by crazykopite

On 7/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, Peterw42 said:

Any Government issed photo ID is usually accepted. If you check on the airline website when you book, there will be a section that covers their specific requirements.

Airlines often dont accept Pink ID as its in Thai, not the same language as the booking

Not 100%correct, Pink ID Card is not accepted as it is considered a valid document ONLY in the issuing Province....

Also mentioned on the rear side of ID Card in Thai. Drivers license is accepted...;

• Like 1

I've been on 4 flights since the lockdown ended. Each time I was required to use the AOT app and it does require a picture be taken of my passport (you can do all of this before going to the airport and just show the screen shot).

I'm in the camp that it is prudent to carry your passport if you're traveling to another city. I put mine in the hotel safe when I arrive and take it out when I depart. 

13 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Not 100%correct, Pink ID Card is not accepted as it is considered a valid document ONLY in the issuing Province....

Also mentioned on the rear side of ID Card in Thai. Drivers license is accepted...;

I am afraid you are incorrect. It is a myth that people like yourself perpetuate. Read the back of the Pink ID it says nothing about the ID is only valid in the issuing province. It says people without travel documents, ie: burmese condo builders without a passport, are not allowed to travel using the ID.

There is no restriction on travel or use of pink ID card in other provinces for a foreigner with travel documents.

Again, if an airline doesn't accept a pink ID for check in, it is because its in a different language to the booking.

• Like 1

Took beat me to it.  That's exactly why you need your passport if you are using a hotel.  I wouldn't risk travelling without it.  In any event isn't it a current Covid-19 requirement that Farangs must carry their passport while travelling outside their Province?  Anyone.

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I have mine on my mobile stopped by police once just pulled out my phone  

and they sent me on my way with a salute and a smile ????

Thought what a jolly nice phone?

I find a teenage daughter, who looks "falang" but speaks Thai as her first language, jolly useful!  Got a fine for a minor traffic violation reduced from B2000 to B250 last year. Policeman was a bit idle though, no salute!

• Haha 1

My understanding is that a pink card is not acceptable, because 1. it does not carry your passport number, 2. the name etc. are in Thai, and 3. it is, in theory at least, only valid in the province of issue.

Your Thai DL does carry your passport number, but there could be a problem if you have renewed your passport since the last renewal of the DL, as the numbers won't match.

The pink id card says that the holder may not leave the amphoe unless he has a passport (or some other permit).

Airlines probably don't want to assist in any potential illegal activity, so they ask to see the passport to confirm that you may leave the amphoe.

Just showing the passport and not mentioning the pink id card is obviously the easier procedure.

Drivers license is normally oK for domestic flights. I'd carry the passport just in case but like that first person said, why not drive? Much more interesting and less bureaucracy. Myself I haven't taken a domestic flight in many years and chances are I may never take one again.

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

The pink id card says that the holder may not leave the amphoe unless he has a passport (or some other permit).

Airlines probably don't want to assist in any potential illegal activity, so they ask to see the passport to confirm that you may leave the amphoe.

Just showing the passport and not mentioning the pink id card is obviously the easier procedure.

Bangkok air lists Pink ID on their website as acceptable ID.

If its not accepted by an airline, its because its in a different language (Thai) to the booking (English). 

Foreign Passenger

• Passport or another identity document issued by the embassy of citizenship such as an Emergency passport or Emergency travel certificate.
  • Non-Thai Identification Card (Alien Card) or another identity document issued under the Alien Registration Act B.E. 2493.
  • Migrant travel documents and United Nations (UN) laissez-passers.

https://www.bangkokair.com/travel-document