Will they accept my Thai driver's licence when taking a domestic flight?

Took

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Bangkok air lists Pink ID on their website as acceptable ID.

If its not accepted by an airline, its because its in a different language (Thai) to the booking (English). 

An airline can of course make up their own rules (most likely within certain legal limits) and accept what they deem sufficient as identification.

But after looking up "Non-Thai Identification Card" on Google images, this seems to be referring to the version of the pink id card which people from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia get. This is different from the card which people here on Thaivisa would have, the most important difference being that it has the person's name in Latin script on it.

I think trying it with the pink id card which has only the name in Thai on it just asks for problems, and might be rejected (even if it's "another identity document issued under the Alien Registration Act B.E. 2493.")

Edited by jackdd

57 minutes ago, jackdd said:

An airline can of course make up their own rules (most likely within certain legal limits) and accept what they deem sufficient as identification.

But after looking up "Non-Thai Identification Card" on Google images, this seems to be referring to the version of the pink id card which people from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia get. This is different from the card which people here on Thaivisa would have, the most important difference being that it has the person's name in Latin script on it.

I think trying it with the pink id card which has only the name in Thai on it just asks for problems, and might be rejected (even if it's "another identity document issued under the Alien Registration Act B.E. 2493.")

Its the same pink "Non-Thai Identification Card" issued to migrant workers, stateless people and expat foreigners including those with PR, (only the ID number changes) the name is always in Thai script, never in Latin script. A big part of getting the pink ID is getting an official translation of your name into Thai.

You wont find a "Non-Thai Identification Card" with a Latin script name on it, thats why some airlines dont accept it.

Pink ID Card for Foreigners in Thailand - Isaan Lawyers ...Two Wats and a Pink ID Card | Tony in Thailand

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You wont find a "Non-Thai Identification Card" with a Latin script name on it, thats why some airlines dont accept it.

If i put "Non-Thai Identification Card" into Google image search i find quite many of them.

Just one as example:

8ecbcd01da0f7a34a7d09e5a4b47ee18.jpg.038aa2e13b74cbbc2761cc82454dc47d.jpg

Edited by jackdd

I travelled last year twice once to Udon and second time to Korat and use my Driving License for flight check in and hotel stays. Although I kept passport with me but my experience was as long as flight name matches ticket you can travel. I flew on Thai Air.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 8:55 AM, Chassa said:

I ordered a new passport from the Australian embassy in Bangkok they immediately cancelled my old one. Had to wait 3 weeks for the new one. My cancelled passport was not accepted by the airline but my drivers licence was OK.

Because if your passport gets canceled, they think you're no longer the same person? Kinda weird but I guess that's how bureaucracy thinks. Or doesn't.