Seven Pattaya pubs flouting smoking bans and promoting alcohol consumption

webfact

I'm in Pattaya and a non smoker.  I don'e know of ANY bar or restaurant that doesn't allow smoking.  Not ONE.  ????

My hypocrisy now; I like alcohol, so please promote that, preferably with discounts & happy hours.  ????

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

did the visit any of the Thai bars

I think not

I don't think the article actually specifies whether Thai or foreign owned but the two pictures look like Thai centric pubs to me......?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BestB said:

I thought e-cigs was 40 000 up and an arrest. or 20 000 "donation" on the spot

Exactly, ok a normal cig we know its 5k but an E cig????? Thought they were illegal a long time back.

54 minutes ago, brain150 said:

That's how you treat children !

If you want to be treated like a small child, which is obviously appropriate according to your posts in this forum, then it's fine.

Let the adults have their alcohol if they want to - they are old enough to decide for themselves !

and the reasons are because it only takes some drunken idiot to one punch someone or cause a death somehow and then laws get put in place that affect the common sense folks.

There is no accountability anymore .... no self responsibility .....  

oh I was drunk ....  or oh i was on drugs or whatever.    just saying ..

57 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

I am not on about happy hours I am on about you can't have glasses with the names of alcohol ,menus with beer names on and the best one if you are asked to recommend a drink  I. e wine waiter you can't. Is that not over the top or what.

agree ... it's a bit overboard. silly rule.

I was referring to laws in Australia where the pub cannot advertise happy hour or discount drinks etc ....  cheers ...lol

8 hours ago, smiggley said:

Now they are trying to kick the bars while they are down, no customers so no tea money so they will enforce laws that have been ignored for years. Nice one Thailand.

You mean that no helmet laws will come back? (thank God, about time too!)

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am also a non-smoker. But in my experience lots of people who like to have a good time are smokers. I don't mind if I am in a bar with smokers. We will all die. At least have a good time before we die. Cheers. ???? 

For me as a non-smoker, i won't go inside a bar where people are smoking but can tolerate open air bars where people smoke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Happy hours and drink promotions. Drink promotions and happy hours may contribute to excessive and rapid consumption of alcohol if not adequately controlled. ... You cannot advertise happy hours outside your premises.Jul 11, 2019

They dont. What they do is advertise their prices, not happy hours.

but they still advertise it.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

agree ... it's a bit overboard. silly rule.

I was referring to laws in Australia where the pub cannot advertise happy hour or discount drinks etc ....  cheers ...lol

They can still advertise their prices, they just say its their normal price. 

Who really believes the 2 for 1 anyway. Try going into a bar on a 2 for 1 and just order 1. See what the cost is.

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/hospitality-tourism-sport/liquor-gaming/liquor/training/rsa/refresher/promotions-practices/advertising-deals

1 hour ago, Kenchamp said:

For me as a non-smoker, i won't go inside a bar where people are smoking but can tolerate open air bars where people smoke.

I dont smoke but it doesnt bother me at all. 

• Like 1

They are smashing only business which foreigners visited its obvious. So actually welcome to the paradise for retirees and all others where you cannot light up cigarette, where you cannot drink beer, where you just wondering when another curfew will appear, very good job Thailand is obvious what PM and Junta want to do under the curtain of Covid-19, they dont care about how many people lose jobs, they want to get rid of all foreigners and make paradise for Chinese brothers. 

4 minutes ago, NB1986 said:

They are smashing only business which foreigners visited its obvious. So actually welcome to the paradise for retirees and all others where you cannot light up cigarette, where you cannot drink beer, where you just wondering when another curfew will appear, very good job Thailand is obvious what PM and Junta want to do under the curtain of Covid-19, they dont care about how many people lose jobs, they want to get rid of all foreigners and make paradise for Chinese brothers. 

Chinese mass tourism is not coming back anytime soon.

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another <deleted> draconian measure.

Elsewhere in the modern world, competitors in many businesses reduce prices to try to get a larger share of the market, and it works, because competition is usually good for business.

However, this is a no-no in backward Thailand, and it's unelected leader. 

Don't upset Steven100

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am also a non-smoker. But in my experience lots of people who like to have a good time are smokers. I don't mind if I am in a bar with smokers. We will all die. At least have a good time before we die. Cheers. ???? 

I also gave up smoking a few years ago but I am not a reformed smoker,I don't mind

if someone smokes as long it does not get blown into my face directly. I don't live in

Pattaya but I visit very often I came twice last year and went for lunch or dinner at

farang restaurants and Thai as well and every was smoking.

6 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I'm in Pattaya and a non smoker.  I don'e know of ANY bar or restaurant that doesn't allow smoking.  Not ONE.  ????

My hypocrisy now; I like alcohol, so please promote that, preferably with discounts & happy hours.  ????

Assuming you are talking inside the restaurant or bar. I know some and I'm not even in there.

Casa Pascal, my favourite brekky resto is one that cannot smoking inside. Its very relaxing place to sit down as no loud music or loud customers. Feels like its not Thailand at all.
Red car disco/bar in walking street is one as well. I trust there's more but seems to be that gogo licence is already including smoking inside the premises or they all buy it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

The alcohol control law that bans these practices came into effect in 2008. Who was the 'unelected leader' at that time.

Yet another appointed General...who was appointed by yet another General.

8 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Absolute nonsense

so this is incorrect then .....   lol ....  could have fooled me.  !

Under section 142ZZC of the Liquor Act, a licensee or permit holder is prohibited from advertising, or allowing anyone to advertise, a range of matters, including free liquor, discounted liquor or the sale price of liquor for consumption on premises (restaurants excepted).

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 12:03 PM, webfact said:

A team of alcohol and smoking groups headed by infectious diseases expert Dr Suwannachai Wattanacharoenchai found seven pubs brazenly flouting the smoking ban and alcohol promotion laws in Pattaya

One would have thought this was a job for the police?  Can't believe Pattaya Plod haven't jumped on this revenue source or maybe they haven't spent the fine inflicted on the French pensioner yet?

On 7/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, steven100 said:

well for those who wanna bash this law ... Australia and the UK have the same .... are they stupid also ?

And they have had those laws for years, you can go into any pub, bar, or night club in Australia and you will not find a smoker.  Seems as though they all come over here to smoke in the belief that their smoke is less harm full in Thailand, wake up you drongo's your day is coming

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, a977 said:

And they have had those laws for years, you can go into any pub, bar, or night club in Australia and you will not find a smoker.  Seems as though they all come over here to smoke in the belief that their smoke is less harm full in Thailand, wake up you drongo's your day is coming

I believe they come here for a more liberal attitude on a lot of things, not just the opportunity to irritate a non-smoker. 

• Like 2

I have ate in Frasers  restaurant lounge, in South Pattaya and did not see anyone smoke. Good food there even steaks and pork chops. Also ate in many restaurants in Jomtien and did not

see many smokers in them. As for bars I have been in a few with smokers

but with the fans and good ventilation I was not bothered.

Geezer

The question is why are laws not enforced in Pattaya. Let's take Tree Town. Before Corona there was not much care about closing times (some bars were still open at sunrise) and even the forbidden Shisha was sold openly. Either forget the laws or the law enforcement. 

On 7/13/2020 at 1:57 PM, Hayduke said:

Bars have been paying the police to ignore the smoking ban since day one.

This sounds like some of the recently reopened bars maybe haven’t been quick enough to pay the required smoking bribes…which have, in all probability, been significantly raised to make up for lost police revenue.

And a ban on "Advertising alcohol consumption" is just one more coercive shakedown to keep the police fat and happy.

It's obvious the police are setting an example of anyone who isn’t showing the right attitude. Good Thai citizens are expected to fully cooperate with official extortion.

and when WAS DAY ONE ????