BANGKOK
superal

Flight cancellation refunds

Caught up in the Thai Airways debacle and was told a minimum of 6 months before a refund.....if we get one at all.

Will never fly Thai again even if we eventually get our money back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I had a British Airways flight return to the UK booked last year to go 21/5 this year.

I contacted them and they said if I cancelled they would give me a voucher but not a refund. The voucher was for the same value (£650) and valid for a year and for any route. At the time I felt I would probably use the voucher but as covid developed in the UK and elsewhere, I feel I made an error. The flight was cancelled by BA later on so if I had been patient I may have got a refund.

Now I need to wait to see a) will BA still fly to BKK/LHR and if so probably less regularly.b) how much will the voucher cover as fares are already 50% higher. To go to the UK in December is now over £1000 so I'd need to pay the difference.

On the positive side if I had taken the trip I'd probably be well and truly stuck there till now. I have pretty much written the cost off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Emirates set to cut 9,000 jobs, citing pandemic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53369463

I have my refund vouchers from earlier this year. I am not crossing my fingers!

Please explain , refund vouchers ?   Emirates will pay me direct to my bank account , no mention of 

Refund vouchers 

15 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Caught up in the Thai Airways debacle and was told a minimum of 6 months before a refund.....if we get one at all.

Wish you luck Ed but looks dodgy

8 minutes ago, superal said:

Please explain , refund vouchers ?   Emirates will pay me direct to my bank account , no mention of 

Refund vouchers 

Refund vouchers were issued by Emirates, and many other airlines, which allow you to re-book flights up to 24 months after they were issued, same price. If it is not convenient, they will exchange for cash.

I thought that there would be so many asking for refunds, which there are, it would take ages, which it does. Just like having money in the bank, AS LONG AS THE BANK DOESN'T GO BUST!

• Thanks 1

Air Asia...still waiting 4 months......never book again until I get my refund ...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Refund vouchers were issued by Emirates, and many other airlines, which allow you to re-book flights up to 24 months after they were issued, same price. If it is not convenient, they will exchange for cash.

I thought that there would be so many asking for refunds, which there are, it would take ages, which it does. Just like having money in the bank, AS LONG AS THE BANK DOESN'T GO BUST!

Thank you , 

Initially at my first enquiry I was told I had to do nothing because the ticket would be valid for a future flight which at the time was fine  . This time I was told to apply on line , not need vouchers as their  rep sent me a confirmation by email . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I had a British Airways flight return to the UK booked last year to go 21/5 this year.

I contacted them and they said if I cancelled they would give me a voucher but not a refund. The voucher was for the same value (£650) and valid for a year and for any route. At the time I felt I would probably use the voucher but as covid developed in the UK and elsewhere, I feel I made an error. The flight was cancelled by BA later on so if I had been patient I may have got a refund.

Now I need to wait to see a) will BA still fly to BKK/LHR and if so probably less regularly.b) how much will the voucher cover as fares are already 50% higher. To go to the UK in December is now over £1000 so I'd need to pay the difference.

On the positive side if I had taken the trip I'd probably be well and truly stuck there till now. I have pretty much written the cost off.

Thanks for posting that, I had my 16th (returning 31st) May flight to UK cancelled with Qatar & hadn't thought of it from the point of view that if I'd have gone, I may still be sat in the UK waiting to get back (I'm on a Non-Imm O "Retirement"), so that's cheered me up in a "Silver Lining" kind of way.

BTW QATAR sent me a refund vouchers for the full cost + 10% before I even knew the flight was officially cancelled, I'm still hoping to re-book when I can. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

The question is whether or not Thai Airways will ever fly again as Thai Airways or be rebranded due to the re-organization under Bankruptcy protection laws.  

7 minutes ago, superal said:

Thank you , 

Initially at my first enquiry I was told I had to do nothing because the ticket would be valid for a future flight which at the time was fine  . This time I was told to apply on line , not need vouchers as their  rep sent me a confirmation by email . 

Emirates offer 3 choices.  1) Keep ticket valid 2 years in which case you do nothing.  2) Travel voucher valid 2 years (also refundable as cash if not used).  3) Cash refund.  In the latter 2 cases fill up their form online, they do keep the 3rd option rather quiet until you get to the form though.

• Thanks 1

Money laundering...good luck if u get it back.

• Like 1

All airlines have cash flow issues, some will go under, others might not.  

• Like 1