Flight cancellation refunds

superal

On 7/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, jackdd said:

In case you paid by credit card just tell them that they have two weeks to return the money.

In case it's not returned within the two weeks contact your bank and tell them to make a charge back.

Is the 2 weeks a figure of a legal time limit for such cases or something you just decided on ?  Thanks for the tip.

6 minutes ago, superal said:

Is the 2 weeks a figure of a legal time limit for such cases or something you just decided on ?  Thanks for the tip.

Two weeks is just a reasonable length for a deadline if you demand that another person/company does anything. Maybe some people think a week is enough, others think maybe a month, for me two weeks feels right.

In case you just initiate a chargeback (they will have to pay a kind of fine to the credit card company) without giving them a chance to pay the money back to you by themself, they might dispute your chargeback simply based on this. In the worst case the credit card company or your bank might decide to not grant the chargeback because you didn't offer them a chance to refund you.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Two weeks is just a reasonable length for a deadline if you demand that another person/company does anything. Maybe some people think a week is enough, others think maybe a month, for me two weeks feels right.

In case you just initiate a chargeback (they will have to pay a kind of fine to the credit card company) without giving them a chance to pay the money back to you by themself, they might dispute your chargeback simply based on this. In the worst case the credit card company or your bank might decide to not grant the chargeback because you didn't offer them a chance to refund you.

So prior to issuing a charge back from the bank , the airline should be informed of my intention and if a refund is not promised in the near future then a bank should make the charge back as all reasonable steps have been taken ?

My experience (already have written about it here) as follows:

Paid by CC early in February for a flight HHQ-KUL-HHQ AirAsia in March & HHQ-KUL in July. They cancelled those due to C19. 

• Requested refund, they've said "no cc/money refunds, only vouchers/credits to be used within 2 years".
  • Chosen the credit using on-line "AVA" option from their website.
  • The credits allocated to my AirAsia account ("BIG") within 2-3 weeks of the claim.

Paid by CC in May for a flight KUL-LON (via DOH) Qatar Airways in July. They cancelled it 2 weeks from the purchase (May) due to C19.

• Requested full refund to my CC, using on-line option from their website.
  • They've refunded the ticket amount to my CC after 3 months of the claim. No interest paid for using my money and no services delivered.

Edited by McArie

On 7/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, jackdd said:

In case you paid by credit card just tell them that they have two weeks to return the money.

In case it's not returned within the two weeks contact your bank and tell them to make a charge back.

I was ticketed on BA for BKK/LHR in mid May but it was cancelled once month prior. The BA refund line went unanswered or the line closed so I gave the problem to Barclaycard. BC said they were dependent on the goodwill of the airlines bank but they did give me a temporary credit on my credit card. Now, two months on, there's still no sign of a refund.

• Thanks 1

Ethiopian airlines cancelled my flight. I asked for a refund initially refused after telling them at least 10 times I want a refund they said it will take 6 month at least and they would charge a cancellation fee and a no show fee for the flights they cancelled. I should get 50 dollars back from a 850 dollar ticket. So I just filed a charge back on it and got a temporary credit while my credit card investigates. Ridiculous to charge me fees because they cancelled the flight.

• Thanks 1

my wife still waiting for a refund from Austrian and Singapore airlines through an Agent, the Agent website has had the same status for 3 months, we are not hopeful that we will get our refund before Christmas.

Mother in Law had tickets with Singapore to Dusseldorf, we can rebook but must contact the Airline direct so they can put it into their system.

16 hours ago, PattayaKevin said:

Ethiopian airlines cancelled my flight. I asked for a refund initially refused after telling them at least 10 times I want a refund they said it will take 6 month at least and they would charge a cancellation fee and a no show fee for the flights they cancelled. I should get 50 dollars back from a 850 dollar ticket. So I just filed a charge back on it and got a temporary credit while my credit card investigates. Ridiculous to charge me fees because they cancelled the flight.

Now that is bordering on crime and I will remember not to consider a flight with them . In the UK we seem to have some protection / with flights out of the UK but abroad there seems little in the way of compensation or help .

On 7/15/2020 at 5:44 AM, ArickChaiyaphum said:

Bangkok Bank will refund all purchased flights bought with a Bkk Bank credit card unfortunately the Bank said no airlines have been refunding flights. 

i had a refund from a hotel booking, i then had Nock Air try to reach a mutual settlement which we did, and last but not least Thai Lion Air trying their best to ignore my phone calls ect ect it did take several phone calls over several months but i finally got a person from my C.C bank he said money will be in your account

within a few weeks ...''Charge back'' it sometimes takes a while but has done it for me a few times now. if the airline is in the wrong they just take the money and put it back where it came from. 

I cancelled a flight out of Chiang Mai to New York City on Qatar Airlines which was scheduled to depart on April 1, 2020. I cancelled my flight on March 15 and was told by my consolidator that I would get a 200 usd  refund within 30 days. I called after 30 days to inquire about my refund and was told it would take 2-3 months. I called after 3 months and was told by the consolidator that Qatar is very busy and they have many folks in the same situation as myself and it would take time to get my refund. I am still waiting and forget contacting Qatar Airlines because, even if you can manage to get through to speak to someone, they will say you have to contact the consolidator you purchased the ticket from. I checked my flights on the day I was originally due to fly back to the US and the  flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok was cancelled as well as the flight from Doha Qatar to New York. I don't have much faith in Qatar refunding me the amount that was stated to me back on March 15, 2020 and will be very surprised if Qatar follows through and contacts the consolidator where I purchased my ticket originally to initiate the refund to me.