Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

New COVID-19 infections in Thailand are highly contagious G viral strain – Dr. Yong

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, smedly said:

this is complete bull

 

and from a country who have no clue how many have been infected or died because they don't test

But, but, but...that's the point isn't it?
No tests, no infections!

"Welcome To Squeaky Clean, Infection-free Thailand!"

There's the bill of goods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mild strain was the one that originally affected Thailand in January and didn't do much damage. Then in March we had the Thai superspreader who'd just returned from northern Italy and infected 80 people with the G  strain in one evening at the Lumpini muay Thai stadium. So yes, of course we'll have to deal with the G strain in a new wave, but we've already dealt with it once, stick with the same protocols and beef up the testing and we should be fine. Oh, and don't forget to plug the porous borders, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Oh, and don't forget to plug the porous borders, lol. 

Why? Zero infections in the neighboring countries, Laos, Cambodia, even Vietnam. Vietnam and Cambodia have kind of reopened already to let children living on one side of the border go to school on the other side of the border. You cannot spread any infection if you‘re not infected.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and yesterday people were slating me for pointing out that there are more virulent strains out there. I repeat, Thailand hasn't had it's full on pandemic yet 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and yesterday people were slating me for pointing out that there are more virulent strains out there. I repeat, Thailand hasn't had it's full on pandemic yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Mild symptoms can still make you extremely sick with long term health problems.

My 30 year old neighbour still cannot breathe properly, and she has only really regained the ability to walk 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

That is the US strategy, infect everybody.

And they are doing a stunning job to achieve that.

Downside: you might lose a few....

 

Few, sure, some, perhaps. But still far less than the US has lost to suicide from year to year. 2020 will bring a record loss due to suicide, it will shadow the true virus "count."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is so insidious. One loose infectious person and we're off to the races. 

Some categories of foreigners coming from abroad are exempted from the mandatory quarantine

and it could be a problem very soon

 

Edited by kingofthemountain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rabas said:

He is not saying the new G strain leads to less severe cases. He's not talking about decreased live viral particle shedding in patients.  Rather, he sees  less shedding of the S1 protein (one small piece of the spike) from his test-tube experiments, suggesting the S protein structure is more stable.

 

Increased S protein stability leads to greater infectivity because  there is more S protein available, not because the S protein attacks the ACE2 receptor better. Same old bullets just more of them. See here. He also shows the new S protein should not be any more susceptible to antibodies and does not suggest it is less severe. A couple comments from the paper:

 

(Fig. 1b), indicating a transmission advantage over viruses with D614. Korber et al. noted that this change also correlated with increased viral loads in COVID-19 patients[22]


An interesting question is why viruses carrying the more stable SG614 appear to be more transmissible without resulting in a major observable difference in disease severity[22,27]

 

So, it's basically the same old virus but now on a Ducati rather than a Honda Wing.

 

 

Everyday I follow the no. of new cases. Don't see arriving Europeans on the list nor Thais returning from continental Europe. So how many infected Europeans did this good doctor actually get to test to see the new strain? Sounds more like keep foreigners out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Why? Zero infections in the neighboring countries, Laos, Cambodia, even Vietnam. Vietnam and Cambodia have kind of reopened already to let children living on one side of the border go to school on the other side of the border. You cannot spread any infection if you‘re not infected.

how do you know you are not infected? Kids rarely show symptoms, adults don't always show symptoms but spread far & wide. Just had such a cluster in our local Rotarians. 23 out of 26 meeting participants infected by one person on one evening. Was not in Thailand. 2 doctors amongst them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is so insidious. One loose infectious person and we're off to the races. 

Everything starts with the first one>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, rabas said:

He is not saying the new G strain leads to less severe cases. He's not talking about decreased live viral particle shedding in patients.  Rather, he sees  less shedding of the S1 protein (one small piece of the spike) from his test-tube experiments, suggesting the S protein structure is more stable.

 

Increased S protein stability leads to greater infectivity because  there is more S protein available, not because the S protein attacks the ACE2 receptor better. Same old bullets just more of them. See here. He also shows the new S protein should not be any more susceptible to antibodies and does not suggest it is less severe. A couple comments from the paper:

 

(Fig. 1b), indicating a transmission advantage over viruses with D614. Korber et al. noted that this change also correlated with increased viral loads in COVID-19 patients[22]


An interesting question is why viruses carrying the more stable SG614 appear to be more transmissible without resulting in a major observable difference in disease severity[22,27]

 

So, it's basically the same old virus but now on a Ducati rather than a Honda Wing.

 

 

Perhaps it is too soon to answer the  question about disease severity in the D614G genotype. At a later date based on selection pressurs it should be shown that in addition to increses infectivity there will also be data to support decrease lethality.. 

Ok I read the paper more carefully .But  I only  said the change in protein structure from D614G incresed the number of binding sites ,

not that 'S1 attacks ACE2 better'

So since the S1S2 structue is more stable (as explained in the paper)  there is less S1 shedding and more S1 available for adhesion to the ACE2  host  receptor.

I would suggest that with the S1 spike protein being more stable, in addition to more S1, for binding to host ACE2 ( hydrogen or ionic bonds between the COO- and NH3+ groups  on the respective amino acids) would be favored. 

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...