"I was only doing 80 kmph and I didn't see her" - innocent motorcyclist cut in two in horror smash

webfact

"I was only doing 80 kmph and I didn't see her" - innocent motorcyclist cut in two in horror smash

7pm_VI.jpg
Picture: Sanook

Horrific images from CCTV footage from outside a convenience store in Chonburi on Saturday morning showed the moment a Honda Civic plowed into the back of a woman on a Yamaha Fino motorcycle who was about to do a U-turn. 

She wouldn't have known what hit her.

The driver of the car was only slightly injured though two passengers were seriously hurt. The motorcyclist was dead at the scene, cut in two. 

Rescue personnel found the Civic in two main parts. The rear section that had hit a lamppost contained an injured passenger who was cut out in half an hour.

The front section 10 meters away contained an injured female who had been sitting next to the driver. Neither person could be identified.

The driver was named as 20 year old Pongphon who was only superficially injured. 

They were all taken to Burapha University Hospital. The accident happened in Saensuk sub-district of Muang district Chonburi on the Sai Khao Lam Road.

Some ten meters from the car wreckage was the totally destroyed remains of the Fino and the body of Supphatra, aged 47. 

Sanook reported the full grisly details of what happened to her but these are withheld here. 

Pongpon said he was on his way to university. He said he was only doing 80 kmph and he didn't see the motorcyclist who appeared to come out of nowhere.

Police arrested him, took him away and were now looking at the CCTV footage. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-13

• Sad 1

You have to be doing a very high speed to slice a car in half, or his car was a cut shut repaired, if speed wasn't the cause then perhaps a very faulty two piece, which is a common second hand purchase. then blame should encompass the re-builder, but, we will see?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine the outcome will be how hi-so the family are compared to the victim.

To me, listening to the screaming car, the car driver seems to be auditioning for some grand prix

Listen to the audio with the car clearly in sport mode doing high revs. Obviously speeding way over 80! 

https://video.sanook.com/player/1420661/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

20 year old Thai boy (full of hormones and delusions of invincibility) "going only 80 and didn't see her"? Looks more like negligent homicide. Check his phone for activity - probably "in use" at time of impact. 

And the sad thing is his two passengers are critically injured the girl on the motorcycle is dead. Should be him that's dead.

38 minutes ago, tiocfaidh said:

And the sad thing is his two passengers are critically injured the girl on the motorcycle is dead. Should be him that's dead.

I'd rather he was critically injured than dead. Something that might affect him for the rest of his life. Might give him time to think about what he had done.

5 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

20 year old Thai boy (full of hormones and delusions of invincibility) "going only 80 and didn't see her"? Looks more like negligent homicide. Check his phone for activity - probably "in use" at time of impact. 

yes indeed, or talking to his two passengers!

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I see a lot of poor Thai drivers. This is a list of things I observed.

1. do U-turn suddenly

2. drive on opposite side of road

3. turn left suddenly to a petrol station even when there are motorcylists on its path that is coming very close.

4. go into main road suddenly even when there are motorcyclists on its path that is coming very close.

Thai drivers simply have NO patience in waiting for people to pass first.

I don't know why Thai transport give these people driving licence in the first place.

Plenty of drivers in Thailand that  still doesn`t have a driver license.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

That scooter driver was toast no matter what. Looking at the video, that driver had to have been doing way over 80 and was already in a full-on, sideways skid before hitting the scooter.

Look at the 6 sec mark of the video, the car was already sideways on the road well before hitting the scooter driver. 

It is possible that the scooter driver had crossed over into the right lane before coming into view. You know how some like to drive on the left until they are 20 meters from a U-Turn then they suddenly cut across 3 lanes of traffic to try and make the turn.
However, looking at the video a few times, she appears to be on the far right of the right lane the whole time. It doesn't look like she was cutting across at the time she comes into view.

The view to the right is blocked though so when the scooter comes into view, she's in the right lane. Then it appears she braked just before getting slammed by the car. The car was already in the skid before that though so maybe she heard the screeching tires and hit the brakes, not knowing what was happening right behind her.

And even if she did cut across a couple lanes of traffic, the car driver should have been able to see her easily. There wasn't any traffic ahead of them (in the video clip at least) so it wasn't like it was a busy street. It was daylight and appears clear and dry.

So it is possible that he was rocketing along and suddenly the scooter cut across in front of him, he slams on the brakes and goes into a sideways skid, hits the scooter then slams into a light post, cutting the car in half.

Or, she was in the right lane all along, he was flying along not paying attention, suddenly sees the scooter and hits the brakes, loses control (etc, etc). 

Unless they have other CCTV footage that can show the road a little further back it would be hard to say how it really happened. 

Based on what we can see, that pretty much sums it up. 

What is clear though is the Civic driver was driving well in excess of 80kmh as he quoted.. That car is travelling very quickly, an estimate is anyone guess, I’d guess closer to 160kmh.

(If the video is shot to the correct time / frame rate - the speed can be more accurately estimated). 

This is a freak accident and motorcyclists get killed by motorists all the time all over the world. However, such blatant inattention and lack of observation as the cause of a major fatality causing accident is a frequent occurrence in Thailand. This is simply down to non existent driver education.

What the point in even having licences when the drivers are not educated or trained adequately?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What the point in even having licences when the drivers are not educated or trained adequately?

That's the heart of the problem the driving test is a total joke, can they still get one without ever having driven on the road? Even if they cannot do 3 simple moves off road a few hundred usually sorts out the lack of skill.

• Sad 1