Ginger, lemongrass, galangal may soon be listed as hazardous substances

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaiset announced that neem, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger, galangal, marigold, Siam weed, camellia seed residue, chillies, celery, medicinal herb senna alata, climbing lily and the non taai yaak or stemona tuberosa lour may be registered as hazardous objects type

Some listed have medicinal value , Senna Alata , galangal , neem are but some .. others like Siam Weed are of a great nuisance value growing prodigiously and taking over ground , preventing other plants , tree's , growing and are a particular problem in some of the coconut plantations of Sri Lanka .. 

And mindfull that this is a sensible place I have no smutty suggestions about the photo , or make use of climbing Lily or marigold for an innuendo of any sort .. and should anyone draw the same conclusion It was not my intention for you to do so , so cannot accept responsibility for such thoughts and effects on your sensibilities .. 

l plays a straight bat now .. safety shots only .. so just to re-iterate some plants on this list are good and some not so good .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 2

sounds he should start simple, before working his way up... 

- like controlling his reflexes to stop 'wiping his eyes after chopping that chilli'  

I did that last week! ????  so, already ahead of him

• Like 2

Uthai Sornlaksab, president of the Rubber Alliance Association of Thailand, said getting farmers to register was just the government’s way of taking advantage of farmers,

adding that this move will destroy agricultural traditions.

Well there you have it in a nut shell I reckon.

• Like 2

Listing of household herbs as hazardous substances leaves farmers perplexed

By The Nation

800_c4c6d964a4762f1.jpg?v=1594636853

After being slammed by the farming community, the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry has decided to remove 13 types of Thai herbs from the list of hazardous substances type 2.

The herbs in question are neem, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger, galangal, marigold, Siam weed, camellia seed residue, chillies, celery, medicinal herb senna alata, climbing lily and non taai yaak or stemona tuberosa lour.

Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Mananya Thaiset said the ministry will instruct the National Hazardous Substances Committee put these 13 herbs on the list of hazardous substances type 1, so the farmers don’t have to register when growing them, but will have to notify the authorities when importing or exporting them.

The Department of Agriculture has been tasked with drafting guidelines on how these herbs can be safely used before removing them from the list of type 2 substances. “These 13 herbs, for instance, can be used as insect repellent instead of chemicals and will have a low impact on health and the environment,” she said.

Ing-orn Panyakit, deputy director-general of the Department of Agriculture, said substances on the type 1 list are less strictly controlled and farmers do not have to undergo registration process, which requires the examination of products and a survey on their negative effects. She also said the substances are registered in two forms – extracted substances and substances that have undergone drying, fermentation or grinding.

Farmers, however, are confused as to why these household herbs are being put in the list of hazardous substances in the first place and said they will show up in Bangkok to voice their concerns.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391231

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-14

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Farmers, however, are confused as to why these household herbs are being put in the list of hazardous substances in the first place and said they will show up in Bangkok to voice their concerns.

But they have accepted them being on the list classified as grade 2, which means more restrictions. Now they make it better and implement less control, then they complain? Must be a slow year for the growing things.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a load of bo++ocks, just been reading that turmeric has several health benefits.

Is this just scare mongering? Mananya not getting enough press coverage?

And i just read that they can grow kurkuma indoors in Europe on a large scale...that's what they want, produce it locally.

The "Dick Smith" advertisement that appeared between posting nos. 28 and 29 above, at least on my screen are a scam. I enjoyed reading the comments about Thai herbs but wish to warn others about this rip-off.