New Phone

Susco

I'm looking for a new phone, and I want to spend not more than 4500 Baht.

Preferably should have 4/64 Gb and Dual Wifi.

Size minimum 6"

Let me hear your suggestion, within that price range and screen size.

I see lot of phones within my spec and price range on Lazada, but I don't know what's decent.

I for example see a Redmi 9 4/64 for 4199 Baht, with 15 months warranty.

Redmi 8 can have had even cheaper

Any good?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does this suggestion get me a rollocking for being over budget? :coffee1:

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 15.42.04.png

3 Baht will not break the bank, but when I clearly mention that 4500 Baht is the limit I want to pay there is probably a reason for it, so I don't really see the point in suggesting phone almost 10% more, and I even less see the point in ridiculing my kind reminder that 4500 Baht is the limit.

Because if we start with "only" 10% over the target, the next suggestion will be just 2% over the previous one, and before we know we are at 5500 Baht, which I would not consider anyway even if it was gold plated.

Now thanks for your suggestion, but since I said already that I don't know anything about phones, it would be appreciated if you gave some feedback why you consider this a good choice.

I assume A91 is the Oppo, but I don't know Oppo, so is that a quality brand?

Edit to add : In the listing it says brand Bobarry, and NO warranty.

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2020 at 9:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Does this suggestion get me a rollocking for being over budget? :coffee1:

Screenshot 2020-07-13 at 15.42.04.png

I don't like the wording of this.  While it implies Samsung, nowhere does it say Samsung though it has a very similar model number to Samsungs.  I suspect a cheap knock-off.

Checking Lazada, both Xiaomi Redmi 8 and Redmi Note 8 in your price range.  There is a significant difference in specs between "Note-8" opposed to "8". 

The newer line of "Redmi 9" & "Note 9" seems just beyond your price range. Xiaomi Redmi has an excellent reputation for value.  "RealMe" phones (made by Oppo) also are a very good value.

I suggest you go through Lazada listings, pick a few that appeal to you price and spec wise and check some review videos on You Tube.  "TechTablets" is a reliable review site.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

I don't like the wording of this.  While it implies Samsung, nowhere does it say Samsung though it has a very similar model number to Samsungs.  I suspect a cheap knock-off.

It is a knock off. The listing says brand Bobarry and no warranty provided

brand means nothing, battery and memory do, that A91 comes with 5000 mAh battery and you

cant get any better than that for 4500 baht, that translate into over 3 days of no recharge,

meaning you wont panic if you dont have any charge to plug into.

4 GB RAM is on the low side, i note when i close apps my phone informs me i use a bit over 4 GB,

and i am a very light user, so its gonna lag a bit at times when it has to take data from ROM.

all in all you are not going to get a better deal at this time for your 4500 baht budget,

and there arent a whole lot of phones out there with that good battery regardless of what you pay

final note: you can see on 'ratings' what people that bought it think of the product

on that site, this particular item has no rating at all, so if it was me i'd keep browsing for a product with stars and buyer reviews

Edited by scammed
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, scammed said:

brand means nothing, battery and memory do, that A91 comes with 5000 mAh battery and you

cant get any better than that for 4500 baht, that translate into over 3 days of no recharge,

meaning you wont panic if you dont have any charge to plug into.

4 GB RAM is on the low side, i note when i close apps my phone informs me i use a bit over 4 GB,

and i am a very light user, so its gonna lag a bit at times when it has to take data from ROM.

all in all you are not going to get a better deal at this time for your 4500 baht budget,

and there arent a whole lot of phones out there with that good battery regardless of what you pay

final note: you can see on 'ratings' what people that bought it think of the product

on that site, this particular item has no rating at all, so if it was me i'd keep browsing for a product with stars and buyer reviews

How wrong you can be.

Brand name means a LOT for a phone, because it will also mean the quality of the components used.

You think a RAM or eMMc chip from BiWin or Maxio, will perform the same as the same chips from Samsung - Toshiba or Micron? The latter is what is used in brand name devices, the former in knock off's.

I don't even dare to think about what processor might be in there.

Ratings are added within the first 2 weeks after the device is delivered, and when everything still looks good, but mean nothing as I expect the phone to last more than 2 weeks

The reason your phone warns you about your memory is most likely because you use one of those no brand Chinese knock off's.

My current phone, a MI A2 Lite with 3/32 Gb never warns me about low memory.

21 minutes ago, scammed said:

This phone seems to have similar spec, has a brand name and 15 months warranty, and is cheaper, so I think better deals are available

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-redmi-9-ram-4gb-rom-64gb-15-i1226388462-s2931730124.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.bestshown_1.15.2c6d3a6azB3uBM&search=1

image.png.8f0164ae6b3c61ce5077e8539f783484.png

1 hour ago, dddave said:

The newer line of "Redmi 9" & "Note 9" seems just beyond your price range. Xiaomi Redmi has an excellent reputation for value. 

The Redmi 9 seems to be well within my price range, as you can see from my earlier post, while the Note 9 is just outside.

Been looking at the specs, and the main difference I see is better camera and little brighter screen.

The Note 9 also use a Helio G85 processor, and the 9 a Helio G80 processor.

Redmi 9 has gorilla 3 glass, and Note 9 gorilla 5.

Not sure if those differences are worth 500 Baht extra to me, as I use the phone in a book cover anyway, and I'm not someone who 24/7 takes pictures of himself and his food.

42 minutes ago, Susco said:

How wrong you can be.

Brand name means a LOT for a phone, because it will also mean the quality of the components used.

You think a RAM or eMMc chip from BiWin or Maxio, will perform the same as the same chips from Samsung - Toshiba or Micron? The latter is what is used in brand name devices, the former in knock off's.

Ratings are added within the first 2 weeks after the device is delivered, and when everything still looks good, but mean nothing as I expect the phone to last more than 2 weeks

The reason your phone warns you about your memory is most likely because you use one of those no brand Chinese knock off's.

This phone seems to have similar spec, has a brand name and 15 months warranty, and is cheaper, so I think better deals are available

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-redmi-9-ram-4gb-rom-64gb-15-i1226388462-s2931730124.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.bestshown_1.15.2c6d3a6azB3uBM&search=1

it doesnt warn me, it doesnt have to, it just give a notification of memory use,

and i conclude i use a bit over 4 GB RAM, so for me the minimum requirement is 6 GB.

anyway the phone you listed has the same spec so if you are comfortable with that brand all the merrier, and if its cheaper even better,

but do read the fine print so you dont get lower spec battery/RAM then 5000 mAh / 4GB RAM

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, Susco said:

How wrong you can be.

I think the phones that your are looking at will be a downgrade to your current phone, as the Xiaomi Mi A2 is well speced with a decent 432 ppi Pixel Density

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I think the phones that your are looking at will be a downgrade to your current phone, as the Xiaomi Mi A2 is well speced with a decent 432 ppi Pixel Density

nah...its a 25% increase in battery capacity & 33% increase in RAM capacity,

but 4 GB is still a bit on the low side,

and im guessing he already experienced either that, or the battery has decayed

to the point it doesnt even last through the day

Edited by scammed

3 minutes ago, scammed said:

nah...its a 25% increase in battery capacity & 33% increase in RAM capacity,

but 4 GB is still a bit on the low side,

and im guessing he already experienced either that, or the battery has decayed

to the point it doesnt even last through the day

My MI A2 Lite is 1 year old has a 4000 mAh battery which lasts easily 3 days.

It has 3/32 Gb Memory and is never short of memory either.

But then again, the battery and memory chips are most likely from a renowned brand, and not from a Chinese backyard factory as in the no brand phones, which you consider equal to brand name phones.

I don't know much about phones, hence this thread, but I run a business in Android devices I import from China, and I'm very well aware of the difference in performance between a Samsung memory and one made by a Chinese manufacturer which doesn't even has a website.

Same will apply to other components used on the phone

I'd get a Redmi or any Xiaomi phone - they are cheap and reliable. Good quality camera and they also come with IR blaster so you can turn your TV or aircon on / off,

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 แรม 4GB รอม 64GB สone is on Shopee for 4,200THB.

https://shopee.co.th/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-8-แรม-4GB-รอม-64GB-สมาร์ทโฟน-กล้อง-AI-note8-i.111580283.4200732120

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susco said:

My MI A2 Lite is 1 year old has a 4000 mAh battery which lasts easily 3 days.

It has 3/32 Gb Memory and is never short of memory either.

But then again, the battery and memory chips are most likely from a renowned brand, and not from a Chinese backyard factory as in the no brand phones, which you consider equal to brand name phones.

I don't know much about phones, hence this thread, but I run a business in Android devices I import from China, and I'm very well aware of the difference in performance between a Samsung memory and one made by a Chinese manufacturer which doesn't even has a website.

Same will apply to other components used on the phone

why on earth would you look for a budget phone if you already have a budget phone that meet your demand ?

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, scammed said:

why on earth would you look for a budget phone if you already have a budget phone that meet your demand ?

I might have been confused.

Bought the phone a year ago, and thought I paid low 3000's for a 3/32Gb version, so was thinking that if I spent about 50% more today I would get something bigger, better and nicer.

Those thoughts were wrong, because what I have found in that price range so far has actually lower spec.

Especially since I just checked my previous purchase, and discovered I paid 4800 Baht for the 4/64 Gb version

Edited by Susco

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

I might have been confused.

Bought the phone a year ago, and thought I paid low 3000's for a 3/32Gb version, so was thinking that if I spent about 50% more today I would get something bigger, better and nicer.

Those thoughts were wrong, because what I have found in that price range so far has actually lower spec.

Especially since I just checked my previous purchase, and discovered I paid 4800 Baht for the 4/64 Gb version

yeah, it wont make sense until your battery is degrading.

if i had to buy a phone today, it would be doogee bl9000,

it got a 9000 mAh battery & 6 GB RAM, 

but since i got a new phone that works flawlessly i wont be buying until there is a need,

either through 'progress' that demand more memory, or battery juice has decayed 

32 minutes ago, scammed said:

yeah, it wont make sense until your battery is degrading.

if i had to buy a phone today, it would be doogee bl9000,

it got a 9000 mAh battery & 6 GB RAM, 

but since i got a new phone that works flawlessly i wont be buying until there is a need,

either through 'progress' that demand more memory, or battery juice has decayed 

I think the op should stick with their existing phone, when they come to look for a new phone I would choose the brands that provide regular security updates and an upgradeable path to the next Android XX versions for the next 5 years

I don't know anything about doogee so i am not going to comment about that brand

I do have Xiaomi, MI, redmi and Huawei phones and they all receive regular security updates and operating systems upgrades from Android 8 to Android 10.

I wouldn't get hung up about ram 3/4GB is fine for the majority of people,

Same applies to batteries I am not going to buy a phone just on battery life if it doesn't provide all the other features that I think are important to me.

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I think the op should stick with their existing phone, when they come to look for a new phone I would choose the brands that provide regular security updates and an upgradeable path to the next Android XX versions for the next 5 years

I don't know anything about doogee so i am not going to comment about that brand

I do have Xiaomi, MI, redmi and Huawei phones and they all receive regular security updates and operating systems upgrades from Android 8 to Android 10.

I wouldn't get hung up about ram 3/4GB is fine for the majority of people,

Same applies to batteries I am not going to buy a phone just on battery life if it doesn't provide all the other features that I think are important to me.

the brands dont update the operating system, its the operating system that does that, i.e android,

all phones are equal in that department.

i would get hung up on insufficient memory cause i had such a phone once,

i say once cause rest assured that wont be happening again,

the phone becomes as unusable as if its dead battery,

and i barely even use a phone so that apply to all people.

a phone with a good battery features all the functionality as all phones with weak battery,

in addition to function at all times, the single most important criteria for a phone.

i had a phone with weak battery too so i know all about it.

nebber again a low spec phone for me, ebber

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scammed said:

the brands dont update the operating system, its the operating system that does that, i.e android,

all phones are equal in that department.

You are wrong again.

Because Android releases the new OS, doesn't mean it will automatically update on your no brand phone.

Often those no brand phones have an unlicensed OS intalled as well

With the Android devices I import it is the exact same.

Boxes with exact same spec and OS, some brands offer OTA, others never have an OTA.

I let you guess which one don't have

2 hours ago, scammed said:

i would get hung up on insufficient memory cause i had such a phone once,

Yes because your no brand phone had a chip manufactured in someones backyard in China, and wouldn't actually perform properly. Likely even fake spec as well.

I guess you do know that the phone manufacturer can have Antutu banchmark read whatever spec he want

Edited by Susco

39 minutes ago, Susco said:

You are wrong again.

Because Android releases the new OS, doesn't mean it will automatically update on your no brand phone.

Often those no brand phones have an unlicensed OS intalled as well

With the Android devices I import it is the exact same.

Boxes with exact same spec and OS, some brands offer OTA, others never have an OTA.

I let you guess which one don't have

Yes because your no brand phone had a chip manufactured in someones backyard in China, and wouldn't actually perform properly. Likely even fake spec as well.

I guess you do know that the phone manufacturer can have Antutu banchmark read whatever spec he want

it was a huewi? spelling? 

and those are notoriously low spec right where it matters, RAM & battery,

i was foolish to take the cashiers word for it that it had the performance i asked for,

after this incident i have wised up and read up on the subject

chip manufactured in someones backyard in China, and wouldn't actually perform properly you say ?

the worlds leading semiconductor company, taiwanese based TSMC

count huawei as their 2nd largest customer, so your rant has no merit

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Huawei-crackdown/New-ban-on-Huawei-blocks-access-to-non-US-chipmakers

https://www.tsmc.com/english/aboutTSMC/index.htm

Edited by scammed

On 7/13/2020 at 8:28 PM, Susco said:

I see lot of phones within my spec and price range on Lazada, but I don't know what's decent.

I for example see a Redmi 9 4/64 for 4199 Baht, with 15 months warranty.

Redmi 8 can have had even cheaper

Any good?

I have one.  It is totally excellent in all respects.  Buy one.

I had to buy a new phone a couple of weeks ago as my old Samsung 5 stopped working. I bought a phone from a brand I never heard about before "realme". It has a big screen, four cameras and a much better battery capacity then my old one had. I am very pleased with it so far. I paid 3 500 bath and that included a one month prepaid phonecard.