Entry into Thailand - medical? student? work permit?

Technically speaking, it is now possible to enter Thailand for medical procedures, as a student, or if you have a work permit. Technicality aside- how does this actually work?

Medical tourist: what qualifies as "medical"? Obviously a surgery and such would, but what about simpler procedure like dental work? Is it as simple as scheduling a bunch of root canals with your dentist or you actually need to undergo procedures that cannot be done in your home country?

Student: can new student visa be issued right now? can it be done remotely? if I found a school that accepts me (and intend to attend classes) is it possible to get issued a visa and come to Thailand currently?

Work permit: same as above - if I found a company willing to hire me, could a visa and work permit be issued remotely and allow entry? What about starting a new business with the required capital?

Basically I have a friend who desperately needs to enter Thailand after 5 months in exile. He is a millionaire so money is not an issue and he'd be willing to spend some if it gets him in the country. Options??

• Haha 1

I tried everything man.. For now it's not going to happen. 

Medical: Only if you have something serious that you cannot let a doctor treat in your own country. (you specifically need a letter from a local doctor telling the Thai authority that you need treatment in Thailand)

Student: You can still get an education Visa, but you cannot get entry to Thailand. 

Work permit, this is maybe the only option, good luck on Linkedin! 

I'm in the exact same position as your friend. Seems like there are no real options, even when money is not an issue.

• Like 1

As far as i know it's like this:

Medical: You have to leave after the treatment.

Student: Only allowed in if you study at a university, not for attending a common language school. I think the semester starts in August, so probably too late now to sign up for anything. Maybe there are more hurdles than that.

Work: Not possible to get a work permit while outside of Thailand.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

As far as i know it's like this:

Medical: You have to leave after the treatment.

Student: Only allowed in if you study at a university, not for attending a common language school. I think the semester starts in August, so probably too late now to sign up for anything. Maybe there are more hurdles than that.

Work: Not possible to get a work permit while outside of Thailand.

Medical: you can stay after the treatment. This is confirmed. It's just very hard to get one, especially when there's nothing wrong with you lol. 

9 minutes ago, reallyaffiliated said:

Medical: Only if you have something serious that you cannot let a doctor treat in your own country.

There's a recent thread on here with a Thai hospital offering a package of treatment including "supplements to boost the immune system" that qualified the buyer/patient for a medical visa.  I don't know whether these "supplements" could be administered in his home country or not, but the poster seemed confident he could get in.  There was also discussion on the point about leaving at the end of treatment mentioned by jackdd, but not sure how it ended up.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1171678-found-a-way-back-in-but-for-how-long/#comments

1 minute ago, treetops said:

There's a recent thread on here with a Thai hospital offering a package of treatment including "supplements to boost the immune system" that qualified the buyer/patient for a medical visa.  I don't know whether these "supplements" could be administered in his home country or not, but the poster seemed confident he could get in.  There was also discussion on the point about leaving at the end of treatment mentioned by jackdd, but not sure how it ended up.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1171678-found-a-way-back-in-but-for-how-long/#comments

That's my own thread. That was just a language barrier. I was on the phone with them, and it's only available to Thai nationals or people with a work permit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reallyaffiliated said:

Medical: you can stay after the treatment. This is confirmed. It's just very hard to get one, especially when there's nothing wrong with you lol. 

Where was this confirmed?

I read this:

this despite the fact that the tourists would have certificates saying they didn't have coronavirus, would undergo 14 day quarantine at a medical facility and then would be shipped straight back out of the country.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1172498-opening-up-thailand-more-than-half-of-thais-dont-want-foreigners-back-despite-14-day-quarantine-poll/

3 minutes ago, reallyaffiliated said:

That's my own thread. That was just a language barrier. I was on the phone with them, and it's only available to Thai nationals or people with a work permit.

Would be nice if you updated the original thread with this.  It gets mentioned by another poster but not confirmed as far as I can see.

22 minutes ago, reallyaffiliated said:

You mention on that thread you want to get married to your Thai gf. Would it be possible to bring her to your country (Netherlands) just to get married, then fly her back home to Thailand and you join her once done with the paperwork from the embassy?

I was actually considering this option too. It's a bit extreme, but I can think of a few Thai girls who would marry me, lol. Of course meeting her in a country where we can both enter and get married would be a challenge by itself...

(Not THAT desperate yet, but give me a few months... if there is no vaccine by the end of the year all bets are off)

Edited by PingRoundTheWorld

31 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Info is here on who can enter and the requirements. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/06/22/certificate_of_entry/

You have to apply at the embassy where you are at now.

Thank you. The links there seem broken so can't get more information on each of the categories. My friend is planning on inquiring with the local Thai embassy this week.

12 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You mention on that thread you want to get married to your Thai gf. Would it be possible to bring her to your country (Netherlands) just to get married, then fly her back home to Thailand and you join her once done with the paperwork from the embassy?

I was actually considering this option too. It's a bit extreme, but I can think of a few Thai girls who would marry me, lol. Of course meeting her in a country where we can both enter and get married would be a challenge by itself...

(Not THAT desperate yet, but give me a few months... if there is no vaccine by the end of the year all bets are off)

She just became a surgeon, so it's hard for her to take time off. We might do this but might take a while. I hope there will be more possibilities in the near future.

26 minutes ago, reallyaffiliated said:

She just became a surgeon, so it's hard for her to take time off. We might do this but might take a while. I hope there will be more possibilities in the near future.

It will take more than a while as she need to learn Dutch in Thailand, do an exam before she will get an MVV (long stay visa).

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It will take more than a while as she need to learn Dutch in Thailand, do an exam before she will get an MVV (long stay visa).

I don't think the intention is for her to live there. More like come temporarily so they can get married and he can travel to Thailand based on marriage.

Have you looked into online/not-in-person marriage? Especially these days I think this would be possible. I know it's nicer if you could do it in person, but as long as it's legal I'm sure Thai embassy would accept it.