Jump to content
BANGKOK
ivenius

Buying a bike from another province

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Some time ago I posted here asking if Ninja 300Z is a good starter bike...lots of good advice, but I did some riding around, a few days on the track, and I decided to buy CBR500 instead 😄 I found one in Nonthaburi from a Thai person. My Residence Certificate has my address in Bangkok on it. It is a different province - is it a problem when transferring a bike on me? Can I just simply do it at Chatuchak DLT?

Edited by ivenius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No there's no problem. In the first step you will do the transfer at the DLT in the area of the existing owner. You will then take your green book and go change the plate and registration province at your own local DLT.

 

I bought and sold a bike + car to/from another province.

 

P.S. The bike I sold was a CB500F 🙂 great bike.

 

 

Edited by rambling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot! Does it take a long time in the DLT to do that? Do I need to take a day off from work, or is it just 1-2 hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ivenius said:

Thanks a lot! Does it take a long time in the DLT to do that? Do I need to take a day off from work, or is it just 1-2 hours?

If it is anything like my car to transfer it involves 1 to 2 hours off work serveral times over a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The owner of the bike offered to go with me to his province DLT tomorrow morning, and told me I can pay afterwards. So after I do that, I will get the bike, and I can go alone to the DLT in my province to change the plates, without needing the previous owner anymore?

 

It's confusing 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you register the bike in your name in Bangkok there is no need to go to a local office to your address to change plates etc

 

likewise there is no need to register in your name in Bangkok if you are going to change plates etc at a local office.

 

one or the other is fine, a Bangkok registered vehicle if ok to use anywhere. i live in Rayong and have 1 bike and 2 cars registered in another province all in my wife's name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot, that's very useful! I thought if I'm buying a bike in another province, I have to register it in the same province, and I cannot register it in mine. That's also what @rambling mentioned.

Edited by ivenius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ivenius said:

Thanks a lot, that's very useful! I thought if I'm buying a bike in another province, I have to register it in the same province, and I cannot register it in mine. That's also what @rambling mentioned.

 

What the owner said is correct. And what I meant is that the first step of ownership transfer is always at the DLT of the current owner registration locale. You cannot do that anywhere else (not even head office Chatuchak). Afterwards if you wanted to change the plate location (from upcountry province to Bkk) then you can do that on your own as a second step at your local DLT (Chatuchak or one of the other ones in Bkk depending on your address - each DLT serves a different part of Bkk).

 

At least that has been my experience as recently as 5 months + 7 months + 2 years ago.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no need to goto the original owners Department of Land Transportation (DLT) everything can be done at your local DLT if you have all the correct paperwork from the current owner   I've posted the list of documents many times on this forum unfortunately the search function is still as useful as a chocolate fireguard so maybe ill post the list again when back at my PC 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rambling said:

 

What the owner said is correct. And what I meant is that the first step of ownership transfer is always at the DLT of the current owner registration locale. You cannot do that anywhere else (not even head office Chatuchak). Afterwards if you wanted to change the plate location (from upcountry province to Bkk) then you can do that on your own as a second step at your local DLT (Chatuchak or one of the other ones in Bkk depending on your address - each DLT serves a different part of Bkk).

 

At least that has been my experience as recently as 5 months + 7 months + 2 years ago.

 

 

 

this is incorrect information, please stop posting it, the vehicle can be registered in local near home DLT, not required to be registered in place of current registration first, if the seller is happy to go and do the change then go for it, but as long as the buyer has all required paperwork then there is no need. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, steve187 said:

this is incorrect information, please stop posting it, the vehicle can be registered in local near home DLT, not required to be registered in place of current registration first, if the seller is happy to go and do the change then go for it, but as long as the buyer has all required paperwork then there is no need. 

 

I have tried twice to do as you suggest here, with 2 different vehicles, and was turned away on both occasions at Chatuchak and sent to the DLT office handling the address showing on the Blue + Green books inthe owner page. First account was selling my bike to another foreigner, second account was selling my car to a Thai. In both cases buyer+seller present and all documents were in order, nothing missing (ID/forms/tabian baan books/original vehicle books etc etc). I live here for 13 years and have bought and sold vehicles many times. Maybe we've been unlucky and given incorrect information by Chatuchak DLT officers in all these instances. But that has been my experience, the OP is welcome to try and report back. It's possible HMMV.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the vehicle is say for example registered in Bangkok ( Bangkok number plates)

and you live and bought the vehicle in Chaingmai  there is no need to go all the way to Bangkok to register it in your name...you can goto your local main DLT (without the current owner)

and inform them that you want to "move" the registration to the province you are living in

( and have certificate of residence in) there is a desk especially for this

called "jeng yai rot plai tarng" ( or something close to that, old brain)   they will want to inspect the vehicle to check the chassis,engine numbers colour etc match what's in the book  then you can have all the details in the book updated  and most likely have to go back another day to get new number plates.

 

from my notes yet again

Quote

Thai seller needs to supply
Signed copy of  ID card  front and back ( not expired )
Signed copy of house registration ( not always required )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart  หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own  แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน    ขส.บ. ท. - 11
green/ blue book signed by current owner

Foreigner seller needs to supply
certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )
For foreign seller, instead of certificate of residence also work permit or yellow housebook is accepted in certain provinces
if foreign seller has left Thailand then a signed copy of the exit from Thailand stamp in their passport instead of residence certificate and valid visa stamp.
(Certificate of residence not required in all provinces ?    / DLT's Pattaya requires it )
sometimes the police station will give you this document too.
copy passport photo page
copy of visa page and or extension  ( not expired )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart  ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
green/blue book signed by current owner

and a zip file with all the forms Vehicle_Transfer_2.zip 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems then that this issue of which DLT office applies to inside of Bangkok only. My books registration address is covered by Bangkok DLT Office Area 4 (at Nong Chok, way out..) so when we (me and buyer from another province) went to do the transfer we couldn't do it at any other Bangkok DLT office (such as HQ Area 1 at Chatuchak) and were sent to Area 4 office. But based on others reports here if the transfer is done outside of Bkk, in another province such as CM, then that's fine and there's no need to show up in Bkk - which makes sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rambling said:

so when we (me and buyer from another province) went to do the transfer we couldn't do it at any other Bangkok DLT office (such as HQ Area 1 at Chatuchak) and were sent to Area 4 office.

Same in other provinces, they too will have a main/ head DLT even though there maybe other satellite DLT's in the province  you have to go to the main DLT for many things..

for example in Chonburi there are at least 3 DLT's that I know of  Barnglamung/Pattaya ,Siracha and Chonburi    but only the main DLT in  Chonburi  will deal with change of ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rambling said:

 

I have tried twice to do as you suggest here, with 2 different vehicles, and was turned away on both occasions at Chatuchak and sent to the DLT office handling the address showing on the Blue + Green books inthe owner page. First account was selling my bike to another foreigner, second account was selling my car to a Thai. In both cases buyer+seller present and all documents were in order, nothing missing (ID/forms/tabian baan books/original vehicle books etc etc). I live here for 13 years and have bought and sold vehicles many times. Maybe we've been unlucky and given incorrect information by Chatuchak DLT officers in all these instances. But that has been my experience, the OP is welcome to try and report back. It's possible HMMV.

 

 

 

i am not saying you haven't encountered that problem, but are you saying that both officers were in Bangkok, if so that may be the case, but on changing provinces can be done at the new local to buyer office, but some offices will not change numbers to local, an example of this is Pattaya will not change to local number and has to be done at Chon Buri, i see that Rayong now do everything in one day, it used to take 2 trips a week of so apart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...