Shoppers in England ordered to wear face coverings from July 24

webfact

Shoppers in England ordered to wear face coverings from July 24

2020-07-13T213316Z_1_LYNXNPEG6C1NG_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-MASKS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An employee wearing a protective face mask serves a customers at Willen Hospice charity shop as it is re-opening for all customers after previously being open only for NHS employees, keyworkers and the elderly, following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Milton Keynes, Britain, June 15, 2020. REUTERS/Andrew Boyers/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Shoppers in England will have to wear face coverings in shops and supermarkets from July 24 to help reduce the risk of a new pick-up in the spread of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office said.

Johnson said last week that tighter rules on wearing face coverings might be needed but a senior minister - Cabinet Secretary Michael Gove - said on Sunday that wearing masks should be left instead to people's common sense.

"The prime minister has been clear that people should be wearing face coverings in shops and we will make this mandatory from July 24," a spokesperson for Johnson's Downing Street office said on Monday.

Britain has Europe's highest coronavirus death toll, with almost 45,000 confirmed deaths.

In Scotland, which has its own powers over public health, as well as other countries such as Germany, Spain, Italy and Greece it is already compulsory to wear face coverings inside shops.

The opposition Labour Party criticised Johnson's government for not moving sooner in England.

"Given the government's own guidance issued on May 11 advised in favour of face masks, many will ask why yet again have ministers been slow in making a decision ... and why it'll take another 11 days before these new guidelines come into force," Labour health spokesman Jonathan Ashworth said.

People who fail to wear a face covering will face a fine of up to 100 pounds – in line with existing fines for people who do not cover their face on public transport - which would fall to 50 pounds if paid within 14 days.

(Writing by William Schomberg, Editing by William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-14

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't make any difference, the hot spots are in multi occupancy accommodation like fruit pickers and people who work garment factories In Leicester, in general multi occupancy housing for certain ethnicities. Care homes too.

This rule will hit non essential shops very hard who are struggling to attract shoppers with the social distancing rules. I can only assume that the government wants retail to fail, also the empty offices, buses and trains are testament to that.

Economic and housing collapse is coming, new economic system worldwide to wipe out the government debt from the stimulus packages that will be required to kick start this mess. No other way out now apart from crashing economies and starting again.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, nkg said:

Care home workers visit shops and go on buses. In all likelihood, most of the COVID deaths in care homes were triggered by members of staff. It isn't like the 90 year-old residents were wandering around town getting infected. Even doctors and nurses go to the supermarket.

This masking up doesn't warrant being forced to wear one and a £100 fine, expect resistance. There is no end in sight to this now, if you push people hard enough, they push back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

I dont do selective hypocrisy or one law for some but not for others, I never play the rules for me but not for thee game, thats all.

And yup im one of those people in the hot spot zone London, daily watching protesters, police, shop staff  etc all doing whatever, however, zero protection for months.  And no  I dont believe the hype about it, I know many health staff/professionals and they dont either, they know the test is unable to differentiate one corona-virus strain from another. Ie the common cold flags up a positive result as well as CV19 can which its getting less and less dangerous as it spreads throughout the human population. Herd immunity is the logical best outcome anyway and a lot less dangerous in the long run than any rushed vaccines, so I shant be worrying about  hysterical old ladies here  who seem to be afraid of their own shadow these days let alone a virus If your under 50 and healthy thats got less chance killing you than influenza.  

But you peeps out there stay scared and comply like sheep if you wish, its your choice. 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh it’s them fruit pickers (foreigners) garment factory workers in Leicester (immigrants), multi occupation housing for certain ethnicities (race).

Gottya!

It's the truth that the MSM doesn't mention. It's the immigrants that live in the poorest housing and communities. It's the same in Brazil in the favelas and you will probalby find the same in the USA too.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Seatbelt compliance suggests you are wrong.

Except these are different times and people are losing their jobs through this crisis, next is the housing market collpase. Everything is linked and unstoppable. People rightly or wrongly are seeing freedoms being taken away. When will this all end?

Thailand apparently has no local transmissions but still having to wear masks, so how many more weeks or months will it continue...

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, car720 said:

So just to be clear, if you unknowingly have the virus then it is ok to waltz around breathing all over everyone else.

Every person is full of viruses, anyone is capable of passing on something that could kill another without ever knowing it... anyways have been youve been  breathed over every day since birth,its what helps the immune system work...

Anxiety lowers the immune system too so try not to let things worry you..

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

Every person is full of viruses, anyone is capable of passing on something that could kill another without ever knowing it... anyways have been youve been  breathed over every day since birth,its what helps the immune system work...

Anxiety lowers the immune system too so try not to let things worry you..

So it's ok to sit in a pub with other people for hours, but not ok to go to a shop for 5 or 10 minutes walking past people, which one is the more likely to spread a virus, hmm. No masks in pubs, but masks in shops, smells like BS to me.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, englishoak said:

I dont do selective hypocrisy or one law for some but not for others, I never play the rules for me but not for thee game, thats all.

And yup im one of those people in the hot spot zone London, daily watching protesters, police, shop staff  etc all doing whatever, however, zero protection for months.  And no  I dont believe the hype about it, I know many health staff/professionals and they dont either, they know the test is unable to differentiate one corona-virus strain from another. Ie the common cold flags up a positive result as well as CV19 can which its getting less and less dangerous as it spreads throughout the human population. Herd immunity is the logical best outcome anyway and a lot less dangerous in the long run than any rushed vaccines, so I shant be worrying about  hysterical old ladies here  who seem to be afraid of their own shadow these days let alone a virus If your under 50 and healthy thats got less chance killing you than influenza.  

But you peeps out there stay scared and comply like sheep if you wish, its your choice. 

[they know the test is unable to differentiate one corona-virus strain from another. Ie the common cold flags up a positive result as well as CV19 can which its getting less and less dangerous as it spreads throughout the human population] - They (whoever ‘they' are) don’t know that, its a theory and one which has huge flaws. 

A virus doesn’t become less dangerous as it spreads, it doesn’t lose potency as if a poison were being diluted. 

You seem to be trying to quote an unproven theory that the Covid-19 antibody test multiplies skeletal remnants of RNA from one of the four ‘common cold’ coronaviruses (229E and NL63 (alpha coronaviruses), OC43 and HKU1 (beta coronaviruses)) or remnants of SARS-CoV-1 or MERS-CoV. Given that the latter two had a far higher CFR (approx 10 and 30% respectively) remnants are unlikely unless significant antigenic drift occurred. 

This is possible, but as yet unproven. 

Rushed vaccines are a concern. Particularly so given the international competition which has a ‘landing on the moon’ degree of urgency and importance applied. 

• Like 2

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

The only reason I wore a mask on the BTS/MRT in BKK was that all the Thais were wearing them. For over 3 months here in the UK I haven't worn a mask in the shops and where I live has little and now no covid-19, so what is the point now!

Then you are a part of the problem.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

Then you are a part of the problem.

What problem exactly? Hardly anyone wear masks where I live and the cases of covid-19 are minimal, so what is the problem not wearing one.

So now I'm being forced to wear something I don't want to wear or being fined £100. Not much freedom there.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

So it's ok to sit in a pub with other people for hours, but not ok to go to a shop for 5 or 10 minutes walking past people, which one is the more likely to spread a virus, hmm. No masks in pubs, but masks in shops, smells like BS to me.

Exactly, there is no consistency, police vans have loads in them with no PPE, shop staff chat with no distance, I work atm just down  the road from Westminster, and often at old bailey care to guess how many MPS courts and staff go about with PPE in or out of chambers ?  less than 10%, thats how seriously its worth taking... yes overly i believe its mostly bs fuelled by the MSM and  mass hysteria.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1